Kilmarnock v Motherwell 25/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

That park is a disgrace. It was shite to begin with and they clearly don't look after it properly treating like a five a side venue to milk cash out of. 

Hopefully the new CEO will have a bit of backbone and be focused on the interest of the club rather than their next move and fight for every club in the league to have a grass park which is interest of our fans and players. 

16 minutes ago, steelboy said:

That park is a disgrace. It was shite to begin with and they clearly don't look after it properly treating like a five a side venue to milk cash out of. 

Hopefully the new CEO will have a bit of backbone and be focused on the interest of the club rather than their next move and fight for every club in the league to have a grass park which is interest of our fans and players. 

FFS. 

Very important point and perhaps more so in the way we got it. Strange how the same score can invoke different emotions.  Had we been 1 up and lost a late goal it would feel totally different than us snatching a point at the death. So I think that keeps our confidence and moral on a good setting for another huge game next weekend. With only county and Rangers to play in March it gives SK some time to work with the players and for injured players to recover as we head toward the split. A win next week would be a tremendous boost for us leaving only 5 games to the split

These artificial grass pitches are notoriously hard to play on.  They certainly seem to afford clubs that have them an advantage above that of a ‘normal home advantage’. Maybe it’s time the SPFL made it a condition of being in our top league that all clubs have grass pitches.

In terms of today, I posted last week that I’d be happy with a point from this and the Ross County game next week so I’m fine with today’s result. We were poor in the 1st half but were the better side in the 2nd and overall I think a draw was maybe a fair result.

A few weeks ago if we’d have been offered 7 points from these last 3 games we’d have grabbed it with glee. If we get a point next week then both Ross County and Kilmarnock will have failed to make any ground on us and that’s vital at this time of the season.

I’m pleased overall with result. However, get Van Veen to fuck. The man touched the ball about 10 times today & let the midfield run around after him. Either he gets near the ball or tries to get a foul. That’s not something we need with a forward. One player who was the same was Foran but at least he bloody scored or passed. 

6 minutes ago, sailor_h said:

I’m pleased overall with result. However, get Van Veen to fuck. The man touched the ball about 10 times today & let the midfield run around after him. Either he gets near the ball or tries to get a foul. That’s not something we need with a forward. One player who was the same was Foran but at least he bloody scored or passed. 

Maybe the pitch didn’t appeal to him today. Thought he had the chance to get rid of the ball into the stands just  before the guy hit it in for their goal. Judge him on a grassy park,next week. Top flight football should not be played on a shitty plastic pitch….

20 minutes ago, sailor_h said:

Bin our top scorer? Only 3 players have scored more than him in the league this year. Should we replace him with one of those well rounded goal machines that are ten a penny thesedays?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stv said:

Maybe the pitch didn’t appeal to him today. Thought he had the chance to get rid of the ball into the stands just  before the guy hit it in for their goal. Judge him on a grassy park,next week. Top flight football should not be played on a shitty plastic pitch….

You can’t just say it’s just the pitch. I’m just watching the game & he stupidly got caught out with the ball for their goal. And when Dean got into running with the ball there were another 3 players with him but not Van Veen. He’s a lasy b*stard. 

3 hours ago, sailor_h said:

You can’t just say it’s just the pitch. I’m just watching the game & he stupidly got caught out with the ball for their goal. And when Dean got into running with the ball there were another 3 players with him but not Van Veen. He’s a lasy b*stard. 

You can say it's just the pitch. The ball took a typical plastic bounce which meant Kelly dropped one he'd normally catch and then it got stuck in van Veen's feet when he'd likely been able to clear it on grass.

10 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Much better second half. Hate that surface.  Point is decent 

The surface does affect the game. Motherwell players were slipping and falling and you could see they were struggling with the bounce of the ball. I'm not excusing that first half dross. They were better in the second half without being good and we got what we deserved. We were worth at least a draw.

10 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

One of those games where a defeat is a really poor result and a draw is a great result.

Our previous two wins turned that game from a must win game for us to a must not lose and that's exactly what we did. If we can get away from from Ross County without a defeat I'll be reasonably happy.  We should then have both Killie and RC at Motherwell after the split. The Dundee Utd game at Fir Park will be huge. Hope they don't have a new manage bounce going on by then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Saved us?? from the match reports it seems the killie keeper played a blinder to stop us scoring on several occasions, so it sounds like a well deserved point to me, and for me any game where we don't lose is never dismal.

We deserved a point at the very least. Kilmarnock had two chances in the entire game including their goal. The stats on this game don't lie.

As has been said the stats are favourable to us.

First half was minging, second half we were far better.

Killie had a fair bit of the ball and were switching play and getting down the wings, but no real chances created.

Not usually one one to moan about pitches - they're Professionals after all - but uesterday was ludicrous. Bounce on  the ball was silly.

20230225_180313.jpg

Terrible game on a terrible pitch.

Killie were the better team first half as we really struggled to get to grips with things, but we were much better 2nd half and thoroughly deserved our point.

2nd half they barely troubled us apart from cross balls and set peices, which is a sign that the defence is still holding up.

Other than the goal I dont remember Kelly having a save to make. Their keeper on the other hand made 3 or 4 saves in the second half and was voted their MOTM!

Absolute scenes at the end with Slattery's goal! All the more pleasing as it appeared a stick on penalty in the run up to it with Obika looking as if he was rugby tackled to the ground.

Re the pitch, was talking to a few Killie supporting mates afterwards and they say they are in the process of building a new training complex out of town which is going to have facilities to allow their reserves and ladies team play out there. Once this is up and running they will be ripping that abomination up and laying a grass park again. No idea the timeframe, but welcome news.

31 minutes ago, Richie said:

As has been said the stats are favourable to us.

First half was minging, second half we were far better.

Killie had a fair bit of the ball and were switching play and getting down the wings, but no real chances created.

Not usually one one to moan about pitches - they're Professionals after all - but uesterday was ludicrous. Bounce on  the ball was silly.

20230225_180313.jpg

I don't know if there is something unique about their artificial surface. Generally when I watch us on them I think we use it as a convenient excuse when we've been pish but yesterday I genuinely couldn't believe some of the bounces coming off that surface, that's was as bad as I've seen a ball play on any artificial surface.

11 hours ago, El Grew said:

These artificial grass pitches are notoriously hard to play on.  They certainly seem to afford clubs that have them an advantage above that of a ‘normal home advantage’. Maybe it’s time the SPFL made it a condition of being in our top league that all clubs have grass pitches.

A wee while back a Kilmarnock fan on P&B asked me to research Kilmarnock's record since they installed the plastic pitch excluding Steve Clarke's time at the club.  

Between 14th Aug 2014 and 11th Dec 2021  (excluding Clarke's reign) they won 31 out of 105 matches so their record was pretty poor and certainly no excessive home advantage.  If anything it went the other way with a 29% win ratio.

Their record at home this season isn't too bad but yesterdays results meant it was 4 home matches without a win. 

23 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

A wee while back a Kilmarnock fan on P&B asked me to research Kilmarnock's record since they installed the plastic pitch excluding Steve Clarke's time at the club.  

Between 14th Aug 2014 and 11th Dec 2021  (excluding Clarke's reign) they won 31 out of 105 matches so their record was pretty poor and certainly no excessive home advantage.  If anything it went the other way with a 29% win ratio.

Their record at home this season isn't too bad but yesterdays results meant it was 4 home matches without a win. 

Given their away record is so poor you could of course argue they are such a poor team that without the plastic pitch they would be cut adrift down at the bottom.

• Like 2