2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

42 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I can't say I watched him too closely yesterday but I wouldn't be keen on any of the Dundee Utd players 

It's shocking they have been relegated, the wages they are on between 4 and 7 k a week supposedly  , managed to   work their way through 3 managers ...they should be really embarrassed 

Recently they have spent quite a bit of dosh on Watt, the bomb scare keeper, and Levitt and you would also imagine Fletcher and Mulgrew will be the top earners. Can't say I have ever really been impressed with McGrath, seems to have scored a ridiculous amount of penalties up here though.   

16 minutes ago, Throughthelaces said:

I’d get rid of lamie and sod I still think we need a battler in the midfield. I suspect we’ll have to replace our striker too. 

I think O'Donnell has another year left on his contract, im sure he signed an extension so he will be going nowhere.

With van veen it’s surely now just a case of how much we get for him, we’re in a great position with a year left on his contract and I can’t see us turning down a million plus.

Hope Blaney gets a a first team shove   he could become quality and we need two wing backs that's compliment each other Furlong and Johnston work so well together Ying and Yang.

Need to start pushing Miller a bit more,midfield is going to get a shake up and if KVV leaves then big massive boots to fill pretty sure he scored like 50% percent of all our goals this season.

So Mr Kettlewell has big big job on his hands when you step back fair few of our better players could be leaving.

14 minutes ago, David said:

Has he? I see nothing that says he's here beyond 2023?

He said it himself after the St. Johnstone game.

“I was pleased to come in and manage to help that. It was nice to play my 100th game.

“It’s been a stop-start last couple of seasons but it’s always a joy to come on and play.

“I’ve another year so, unless someone is going to come in with a big bid for me like Kevin, then I am here!”

Interesting. I'm guessing the club have activated an extra year on the initial deal that runs until June 2023. When he signed the new deal there was no mention of that, and there's been nothing said by the club about extending him.

44 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

McGinn has been a decent signing.

When we signed McGinn I spoke to Hibs fan at my work. He said McGinn was a steady 7/10 every game. I think that is a good assessment. I like him and would be happy to see him get a new deal

8 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

With van veen it’s surely now just a case of how much we get for him, we’re in a great position with a year left on his contract and I can’t see us turning down a million plus.

A striker who can score 29 goals a season is worth a lot more than a million pounds. If as is reported teams like Wolves are interested in him. One million pounds is pocket money to teams like that. I'd be asking at least 4 million to them.

6 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

A striker who can score 29 goals a season is worth a lot more than a million pounds. If as is reported teams like Wolves are interested in him. One million pounds is pocket money to teams like that. I'd be asking at least 4 million to them.

If we can get that great, but it is the Scottish premiership and not the premier league down south and he’s not in his early 20s. 

14 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

Name the last 32 year old playing in the SPFL who cost the buying club £2 million never mind £4 million.

I'd be looking for something in the range £500k - £1m probably around £750K but the club will have "set" an asking price. We are perceive as playing in a "diddy" league, somewhere below League 2 in England, and that will be factored into any bid from down south.  Less than £500-600K and its not worth our while selling him - he's worth more than that knocking in goals for us.

What do I know though? 

• Like 1

Kevin van Veen is wanted in his homeland for a summer transfer. The Motherwell striker finished as the Premiership’s top scorer on 25 after scoring in 11 consecutive matches at the end of the season. According to reports in the Netherlands, Groningen have set their sights on the 31-year-old. Van Veen hasn't played in his homeland since a loan spell at Cambuur in 2016. Groningen were relegated to the second tier and Van Veen, who has a year left on his Motherwell deal, is seen as part of the rebuild.

If they offer him a good wage increase that could be a great move for him. Of course they would have to offer a decent wad of cash to make it a good deal for Motherwell. That’s what worries me. A team may be willing to offer him a great deal wage wise but offer us a pittance as a transfer fee. Now you have a disgruntled player on your books who really wants away but it’s not worth it to the club to let him go. Then we end of either no money and a huffy KVV or no KVV and not. Lot of money. 

• Like 1

If were losing Van Veen id honestly love Steven Fletcher on a free might not have had a great season at Utd but his Link up Play and movement is far better than that of Obika and Mandron also would happily take Levitt of Utd if he were available.

18 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Are there any young lads in the reserves that look ready to step up to the first team? (other than Miller, Spiers, etc)

Ewan Wilson is the one closest apparently from what we heard under Hammell believe he is A Lb

2 hours ago, thewelllfan said:

If were losing Van Veen id honestly love Steven Fletcher on a free might not have had a great season at Utd but his Link up Play and movement is far better than that of Obika and Mandron also would happily take Levitt of Utd if he were available.

A 36 year old? He'd want a fair wedge of cash and would we be prepared to offer that for a supporting striker. We'd still need a goalscorer. He's never been a proliific striker. Personally I'd do it the other way around.  Pay a moderate salary for a workmanlike supporting striker and fork out a bit more for the goalscorer. 

• David locked this topic