2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

8 minutes ago, santheman said:

The loan technically wasn't.

Part of the lending criteria was that it had to be ringfenced and not to be used to cover transfer fees or players wages.

There is a playing budget that covers transfer fees and wages but as with every budget it is subjective and reviewed as circumstances change throughout the season. 

As the Murrells have shown there is no such as thing as ring fencing. 

When money goes into a bank account numbers on a screen go up. When you spend it goes down.

Just now, steelboy said:

All the club's money is pooled. We don't have 'transfer funds'.

That's ridiculous. Virtually all businesses, including football clubs, employ a system of separate budgets designated for different sections or departments within the organisation. This approach ensures that financial resources are allocated strategically and in a controlled manner, allowing for efficient management and decision-making.

Rather than pooling all funds into a single account, businesses implement a budgeting framework that establishes distinct financial plans for various aspects of their operations. In the case of a club like ours, these may include budgets for player acquisitions, marketing and promotions, stadium maintenance, administrative expenses, coaching staff, youth development, and so on.

17 minutes ago, steelboy said:

As the Murrells have shown there is no such as thing as ring fencing. 

When money goes into a bank account numbers on a screen go up. When you spend it goes down.

That is most certainly the case in this scenario. Part of the lending conditions was that the club had to provide evidence (receipts etc) that the funds were spent on items allowed within the agreement and failure to do so could result in a demand for the whole amount to be repaid in full and immediately which is the norm for any business loan.

That is ringfencing in anyones language, even the Murrells.

And I believe funds received at season end from Uefa relating to the performance of Scottish Clubs are also ringfenced. The consolidation funds that, to receive, a Club must evidence a recognised Academy on which any such funds can be invested. So they cannot be used to purchase camper Vans either..........although I guess we could argue they were for youngsters' accommodation or travel to away games.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 2:40 PM, David said:

I could be mistaken, but I reckon the money used for the pitch would likely come from funds specifically set aside for that sort of thing. I don't imagine we'd have taken money to "flatten the pitch" from the transfer budget.

It is indeed I don't know how many times our fans need told about the money for the ground improvements. The money came from a substantial loan from the Scottish Govt which was offered on no interest payments and could be paid back over a period of twenty years. The club would have been mad not to take a loan on those terms. The money could not be spent on players or staff wages.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

My highly scientific back-of-a-fag-packet statistical analysis predicts that young players who leave us have more success if they have at least 50 appearances under their belt. According to soccerbase, Cornelius has 53, so he has a chance.

He's the kind of player I would have been happy to see stay, but not overly concerned about leaving. More easily replaced than a midfielder like Campbell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Good for all parties.  He wasn't able to make it as a first team regular and no longer a kid. He needs to be playing on a weekly basis. 

Can see him the championship for a year or so to get the regular games he needs.  Either that or another ex-player heading to Paisley. 

I haven't seen any improvement in Cornelius at all he has stalled  bit like Maguire we don't really loose anything in letting him go.

For everyone  decent performance he had he had 3 that I would call was missing or was he playing today and if any positions need a major revamp it's the Midfield I suspect Kettlewell will go with a wee bit more bite in it next season.

Best of luck to him.

22 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Good for all parties.  He wasn't able to make it as a first team regular and no longer a kid. He needs to be playing on a weekly basis. 

Can see him the championship for a year or so to get the regular games he needs.  Either that or another ex-player heading to Paisley. 

He was a first team regular under Kettlewell so that kinda negates your statement. Pointed out before, picked up a strain pre-split.

Your closing gambit is a nonsense 😂

Like Max Johnston, Dean enjoyed a consistent run in the starting lineup after Kettlewell took over and both of them played their part in the turn around in form. If Dean has managed to get a new club lined up then fair play to him, I know he has over 50 first team appearances but you would think getting a full season of being a regular starter under his belt would put him in good stead, same goes for Johnston, but we have been down this road before many times.

Personally it's Casey and Johnston I'll be gutted about losing, I'm sure Kettlewell mentioned he had put a time limit on when players had to say yes or no but I'm struggling to remember players signing on again shortly after their contract expiring, probably Scott McDonald being the exception.

Not sure how much we get for compensation but hopefully a decent amount between Cornelius and Johnston. I’d like to think we can also have add ons for any future transfers. Not sure what our situation is for squad but I think it is maybe too large so perhaps for every two players we get off the books we can afford to attract a better player to have more quality than quantity. However, that phrase has been mentioned previously but I don’t believe has been put into action. If we can attract a few better quality players and Kettlewell can continue his successful methods we could do very well this coming season, especially if we could keep KVV. All easier said than done though. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure how much we get for compensation but hopefully a decent amount between Cornelius and Johnston.

Cornelius wasn't part of our academy was he? So if there is compensation we'll need to split it with Hibs or whoever else was involved in development.

8 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

He was a first team regular under Kettlewell so that kinda negates your statement. Pointed out before, picked up a strain pre-split.

Your closing gambit is a nonsense 😂

Yes and No. He won't end up in the championship correct. Is he much better than a bottom 6 club. I doubt it. A good guy and wish him all the best but he won't set the world on fire in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

Yes and No. He won't end up in the championship correct. Is he much better than a bottom 6 club. I doubt it. A good guy and wish him all the best but he won't set the world on fire in my opinion.

That’s fair enough, some think he is given the interest.

Doft my cap at the fact that he wants to further his career, obviously disappointed he’s leaving but wholeheartedly behind his decision for all the right reasons.

Given that Deano is  a 'Well fan, his leaving can only mean that he has better offers elsewhere. Otherwise why leave? 

The only other reason would be that SK has told him he isnt part of his plans. But given the level we operate at and the game time he has had, I dont really see that being the case.

Wish him well regardless.

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Given that Deano is  a 'Well fan, his leaving can only mean that he has better offers elsewhere. Otherwise why leave? 

The only other reason would be that SK has told him he isnt part of his plans. But given the level we operate at and the game time he has had, I dont really see that being the case.

Wish him well regardless.

Im gonna have a wild guess and plump for Dundee as his next club.

4 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Completely indifferent to his departure, he is infinitely replaceable.

We get it as you’ve alluded to more than once. There’s not a player in our squad who isn’t infinitely replaceable.

Up to those tasked with the job to develop our next batch better than pay the system lip service in my view.

4 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Im gonna have a wild guess and plump for Dundee as his next club.

You’re right, it’s a wild guess. Easy to deduce from the article that he favours crossing borders for now over remaining at home.

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

We get it as you’ve alluded to more than once. There’s not a player in our squad who isn’t infinitely replaceable.

Up to those tasked with the job to develop our next batch better than pay the system lip service in my view.

You’re right, it’s a wild guess. Easy to deduce from the article that he favours crossing borders for now over remaining at home.

It will be a straightforward process to replace the contributions oof the likes of Cornelius, McGinley, Carrol and Mugabi  should they all leave at some point because these players are ten a penny. We wont replace KVV with anyone who will score 29 goals.

• David locked this topic