2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Kettlewell said that Bair would be a project, I took from that that he would be coached through the season to improve parts of his game so that he would be closer to the finished product as the season goes on.

I think he got more game time than expected early on due to injuries.

But watching his link up play, then his assists and now his goals I think the project is a success.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stevie73 said:

Everyone is signing or even being linked with people, nothing from us, a wee bit worrying, moving a lot out but zero in.

I'm not overly bothered providing we get the necessary signings who are oven ready by the end of the month. 

12 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Scored the winner again tonight. If they're forced to offload him because they're skint, what are the chances we could afford his wages?

I suspect they want to offload him (or he wants to move on) for reasons other than wages. We couldn't afford his current wages before and we can't afford them now.   

Watt would spitt the dummy when he gets slaughtered off the east stand in his first game. Would likely cost a fair wedge & while he has ability when he decides to show up, hes also a clear mercenary. Given the circumstances of his departure, why would we entertain bringing him back?

Beyond me

16 hours ago, David said:

I think if you look at his record to now, the amateur accusation is perfectly valid. 

He played for a largely terrible Vancouver Whitecaps side that finished 23rd & 17th overall in the two seasons he played double figures for them. He managed three goals in three seasons.

He then moved on to HamKam in the Norwegian 2nd tier, where he hit four goals in 17 games. 

At St Johnstone he scored 1 goal in 33 games. 

Now, I understand everyone is getting all giddy because he scored two against Livi and got another against Hibs, but as I said, it'll take more than a wee purple patch of a couple of decent games to really change my mind. 

And again, I hope he does. If he goes on to repeat those performances and manages to grab another two or three goals then I'll be a happy camper. 

But you're right, we are where we are. And so long as we continue to sign players largely based on "gut instincts" and having a checklist that consists of him being "an honest professional" and "running his socks off" we likely won't see much improvement.

Well, I said that his stats and career average suggested anywhere between 3-5 goals for us. So, he's hit that. Hopefully he can do above average numbers for us.

He's been a halfway decent player, who has done more than the extremely low bar we all set for him, in a very poor Motherwell team. Credit where it's due I guess?

Good job this website wasn't about in the 90's, club legend Dougie averaged less than 6 a season as a striker.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Vastly overrated by many of our fans. 

That may be true but there aren't an abundance of better options in our squad. You can argue that it says something about our squad, but it is true...

56 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Sorry for him personally but will be glad if thats him played his last ever game for us. Vastly overrated by many of our fans. 

Or vastly underrated by some.

We live in the social media world these days where every player can only be ranked as brilliant or crap. 

Nuance died with Twitter. 

It's amazing how all these useless players are so easily spotted by the fans, but manage to fool coaches and managers who have spent their entire adult lives in the professional game and whose livlihood depends on fielding their best available team every week. 

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Or vastly underrated by some.

We live in the social media world these days where every player can only be ranked as brilliant or crap. 

Nuance died with Twitter. 

It's amazing how all these useless players are so easily spotted by the fans, but manage to fool coaches and managers who have spent their entire adult lives in the professional game and whose livlihood depends on fielding their best available team every week. 

So when you look at a player and think he's pish, you accept the guys ok cos the manager thinks so. Football is littered with ex managers who thought they knew what a good player looks like.

If I accept you view I'll need to reassess my view of Bob Malcolm , John Henry, Joe McLeod , John Davies, Derek Townsley etc ... They must all have been good cos the manager and coaches picked them and played them and they all knew best cos they'd spent a lifetime in the game.. I don't need to be a window cleaner to know a windows clean and I don't need to be a football manager to know a players pish.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

That's why we pay the manager to find better than Slattery, the bench mark ain't too high to beat.

I thought that's what we pay the head of recruitment to do? Either way, it would mean the manager has another first choice player he can neither play nor move on, so I don't see any positives.

• David locked this topic