Motherwell v Rangers 18/03/2023

SteelmaninOZ

While we’re on the subject of things that annoy us from the match announcer, why does he announce the score as the teams come off at half time? The people in the ground know what the score is, they don’t need reminding, or does he just like the sound of his own voice?

1 minute ago, MJC said:

Other results have been not to bad for us today with Ross County losing and Utd & Killie both drawing from winning positions.

Yep apart from our result it could have been a lot worse . The other 3 had games they need to be winning to catch us and all three failed. When we play Hibs at Easter Road Dundee Utd go to Ibrox and Killie at home to Hearts. Looks like the two home games against Dundee Utd and Livi could be our defining moment.

29 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

There were positives today but fuck me Slattery and Cornelius are a piss poor midfield pairing. Kelly did fuck all to improve his Scotland starting line up chances.

I agree re Cornelius he was very poor today, all over the place, ball watching all game, very rarely picked a runner up.

As for Slattery his stupid tackle cost us the 1st goal and he had a poor game but tbf he's been a better looking player under SK, so I would not be too harsh on him.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Still struggling to accept that this is onside, their guy is clearly infront of ours 🤷🏻‍♂️, the rest of results going our way, two massive home games and I think we are safe. COYW

929A5F51-21FB-4AF0-90DC-42A4208FBECD.png

There is something very odd there, either our groundsman was pished when he was lining the pitch or the VAR camera angle is a mile out. The VAR line should be parallel to the 18 yard box line.

Usual frustration today especially after getting back to 2-2. I have been very impressed with kettlewell but he blundered today keeping Slattery on pitch after his what ..20th or so booking of season, at least he will now be suspended so every cloud.

I totally disagree with Angus Gunn situation but when you see Kelly today for 1st goal you do see he is not international class.

Anyway we move on....COYW

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Was Slattery’s red for having his hand near the players face, contact was on shoulder not face, but player goes down holding face, why did VAR not look at it ?

I think because for some reason they are not supposed to get involved unless it’s to suggest it’s a red or to downgrade a red. Yellow or not decision is not within their scope apparently. 

• Like 1

Putting the iffy 3rd goal to one side , rangers looked in total control of a game we were rarely in.

Not this season , or last couple of years but this century had been horrendous in the league against the old firm .

Frustrating that we need to revert to old YouTube vids to remember a time when we had decent players .

Not an easy fix but it’s past the point of frustration that we get our asses handed to us each and every time .  

• Like 1

Midfield were extremely slow today, Spittal looked like he towing a caravan, Goss and Cornelius tracked no one today, Slattery’s red finishes the game, but the boy Cantwell should hang his head in shame, zero contact to the face and he is rolling around like he’s been punched, that’s football now, teams do anything to get an advantage. But VAR is a joke Sakala is off, the rule states it’s got to be a ball playing part that puts you in an on/off position, looking at the line his shoulder is not further forward than Sakala’s foot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Putting the iffy 3rd goal to one side , rangers looked in total control of a game we were rarely in.

Not this season , or last couple of years but this century had been horrendous in the league against the old firm .

Frustrating that we need to revert to old YouTube vids to remember a time when we had decent players .

Not an easy fix but it’s past the point of frustration that we get our asses handed to us each and every time .  

Yeah but but, budgets! finances! size of support! Clubs our size can’t be expected to beat the Old Firm! I mean it’s not as if Killie, Ross County, St.Johnstone, Accies, St.Mirren have fared any better…..oh wait…

…Welcome to our great wee club!

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

There is something very odd there, either our groundsman was pished when he was lining the pitch or the VAR camera angle is a mile out. The VAR line should be parallel to the 18 yard box line.

Not if the camera is between the VAR line and the 18 yard line. Perspective, innit.

Had hope this might be the day we could smash the 20 year jinx

No doubt if we had went 2-0 up at half time they would have somehow hit back and got a result, seen it happen too often now

Was definitely impressed with the first 20 minutes and much improved from recent seasons , but this game came as no surprise result in the end

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Yeah but but, budgets! finances! size of support! Clubs our size can’t be expected to beat the Old Firm! I mean it’s not as if Killie, Ross County, St.Johnstone, Accies, St.Mirren have fared any better…..oh wait…

…Welcome to our great wee club!

That would be a good point if we'd never beaten the Old Firm.

4 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Still struggling to accept that this is onside, their guy is clearly infront of ours 🤷🏻‍♂️, the rest of results going our way, two massive home games and I think we are safe. COYW

929A5F51-21FB-4AF0-90DC-42A4208FBECD.png

You're looking at the wrong VAR image. The one they used has just been released:

offside-var.png

• Haha 3

I don't think anybody should be fixated about failing to beat the OF, in the current era in particular very few do. We're 29 league games in and each have lost to a non OF side just once. And let's not kid ourselves these sides had some sort of strategy that works.

It's just one of those rare days when maybe the OF side isn't quite at it and everything is falling the smaller sides way, they got lucky effectively. Motherwell simply haven't been lucky but that's probably the case with others too.

The OF have never been this dominant and chances are they will continue to strengthen their dominance making any wins against them even rarer. Nobody but each other has even beaten them in a cup this season, the usual route to a trophy for non OF sides. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lan_Lad said:

I don't think anybody should be fixated about failing to beat the OF, in the current era in particular very few do. We're 29 league games in and each have lost to a non OF side just once. And let's not kid ourselves these sides had some sort of strategy that works.

It's just one of those rare days when maybe the OF side isn't quite at it and everything is falling the smaller sides way, they got lucky effectively. Motherwell simply haven't been lucky but that's probably the case with others too.

The OF have never been this dominant and chances are they will continue to strengthen their dominance making any wins against them even rarer. Nobody but each other has even beaten them in a cup this season, the usual route to a trophy for non OF sides. 

Pretty much on the nail. My hopes in recent years is to avoid red cards and a bad injury and maybe a drubbing. Anything else is a bonus. 

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Special mention also yesterday to Casey. What about that run in the 2nd half when he sprinted whole length of park to support KVV.

Get him signed up asap. Really like him as a defender and his attitude, reminds me very much of Tom Aldred.

It was a great run and I really like him, but my first thought was "get back in position!" 😄😄😄

• Thanks 1