Motherwell v Livingston 08/04/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Making the trip 'across the watter' for this one.

Apologies to all 'Well fans, my presence these days can only mean defeat.

If I don't make it for some reason, I'm going 2-0 to the good guys, with KVV and someone else getting the goals either side of half time.

12 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

3 games left  before the split,  9 points will give us a very very slim chance of a top 6 finish, so going for a home win to keep the momentum going.

Financial benefit to getting top 6, but on the playing side it would surely be good for Kettlewell to have some dead rubbers in the bottom 6 to experiment, get the team spirit up & plan for next season. 

Dont see us getting anything at Celtic Park, even with our upturn in form. They are on an impressive run and with the title in their sights, I dont see them giving anything away. We should be looking to win our 2 home games though and consolidating our position in the bottom 6. Finishing 7th after where we were at Xmas would be some achievement.

10 hours ago, Big Stall said:

Financial benefit to getting top 6, but on the playing side it would surely be good for Kettlewell to have some dead rubbers in the bottom 6 to experiment, get the team spirit up & plan for next season. 

You always want to finish as high up the league as you can ie top 6 for financial gain and a shot at a European place, as brutal a season as we've had we are only 12 points off 3rd and guaranteed European group stage football ffs given the standard in the SPL outwith the ugly sisters.

But I take your point finishing 7th would probably be more beneficial to the club as a whole to have the team properly organised and prepared For next season, and save us further Euro embarrassment as well 🙂

Livi are usually a tough nut to crack. They are above us in the league, but recent form is in our favour. I expect a difficult match, but think that we will ultimately take the 3 points. 2-1 to the Well.

On 4/3/2023 at 9:47 AM, Spiderpig said:

3 games left  before the split,  9 points will give us a very very slim chance of a top 6 finish, so going for a home win to keep the momentum going.

Even if top six is beyond us, we should certainly be looking to finish in 7th. The difference in prize money between 7th & 8th is around £300,000 by my estimation, and that money will certainly come in handy when we're looking to dish out a new contract or bring someone new in.

Livi are sitting on one win from their last five, so they're definitely beatable, especially when they don't have the unfair advantage of that shambles of a pitch on their side.

Six points from nine should be our aim.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:18 PM, MFCL84 said:

Livi are usually a tough nut to crack. They are above us in the league, but recent form is in our favour. I expect a difficult match, but think that we will ultimately take the 3 points. 2-1 to the Well.

They are but we are unbeaten in our last eight against them though there have been several draws in that run. They have traditionally been an annoyingly hard team to beat and games tend to be tight with the odd exception.

If there is a winner on Saturday I think it will be by a single goal and it won’t be easy on the eye. 

53 minutes ago, MJC said:

They are but we are unbeaten in our last eight against them though there have been several draws in that run. 

It's even better than that at Fir Park. The last time they beat us there was 2002.

Of course the downside of playing them is the sore neck you get from watching the ball in the air.

12 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's even better than that at Fir Park. The last time they beat us there was 2002.

Of course the downside of playing them is the sore neck you get from watching the ball in the air.

They are like Kilmarnock they get the vast majority of their points at home due to the horrible shitey plastic pitches they both play on, so it's a good home win on Saturday and another 3 points for us to help secure safety before the split.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

They are like Kilmarnock they get the vast majority of their points at home due to the horrible shitey plastic pitches they both play on, so it's a good home win on Saturday and another 3 points for us to help secure safety before the split.

What is every other clubs excuse then (except us and St Johnstone), but more specifically Hearts, St Mirren and Aberdeen who's home form to away form is vastly different, and much more so in contrast with Livingston...

3 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

What is every other clubs excuse then (except us and St Johnstone), but more specifically Hearts, St Mirren and Aberdeen who's home form to away form is vastly different, and much more so in contrast with Livingston...

can only assume it's their equally horrid supporters. :laugh:

Suspect it's much more about psychology and habit. Get used to winning (or losing) in certain locations  or against certain teams and you start believing in it. Hence good run/poor run of form. Confidence and belief have a lot to do with it. 

In addition small margins split teams, the overall quality/difference of majority of teams is minimal outside the old firm.