Motherwell v Kilmarnock 06/05/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Game never quite recovered from the long VAR check and Kevin Clancy's whistle happy performance.

Some really nice stuff mixed with some really poor stuff but I think we edged the match even though Kilmarnock dominated spells in the second half. 

For me though they didn't really look like scoring while we looked dangerous going forward and Van Veen might easily have had a hat-trick today.

The application of VAR in Scotland is often a shambles. It should be simple. It’s either a foul or not or offside or not. It should not take 5 mins for a so-called professional referee to check and confirm via multiple video angles, but it often does. The officials were a disgrace today and that ruined the game. 

12 minutes ago, wellfan said:

The application of VAR in Scotland is often a shambles. It should be simple. It’s either a foul or not or offside or not. It should not take 5 mins for a so-called professional referee to check and confirm via multiple video angles, but it often does. The officials were a disgrace today and that ruined the game. 

It’s just a nonsense. As I said earlier there is absolutely no need for these lengthy checks whilst players and fans alike stand waiting around to see if a goal/penalty/offside/red card stands or not. It’s just absolutely sucking the enjoyment out of the game.

I've always been of the opinion that if you must send something to VAR they get 30 seconds to look at it. If you can't see an error or incident in that time there was nothing clear and obvious and you move on.

I never had any confidence in VAR being implemented well in Scotland and I have seen no reason yet to change my mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

I've always been of the opinion that if you must send something to VAR they get 30 seconds to look at it. If you can't see an error or incident in that time there was nothing clear and obvious and you move on.

I never had any confidence in VAR being implemented well in Scotland and I have seen no reason yet to change my mind.

Absolutely. A time limit on whether a decision is overturned or not would solve alot of the current problems imo. 

On 5/3/2023 at 12:11 PM, MJC said:

Against a team we haven’t managed to beat in three attempts this season there has to be a degree of doubt or ‘fear’ going into this one. Killie, like Utd will be coming into this one on the back of a massive win and their need to win is greater than ours given the league positions. They will be well up for this one and we need to be too, otherwise we’ll get beat.

A point wouldn’t be a disaster but it’s the best we will get imo. 

Do you never get embarrassed?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Game never quite recovered from the long VAR check and Kevin Clancy's whistle happy performance.

Some really nice stuff mixed with some really poor stuff but I think we edged the match even though Kilmarnock dominated spells in the second half. 

For me though they didn't really look like scoring while we looked dangerous going forward and Van Veen might easily have had a hat-trick today.

The VAR delay put us right off our stride. However it's still a game we should easily have won 4-0. Kilmarnock are utter shite. Though I dearly love to relegate Dundee Utd on the last day of the season.

Motherwell win, stunning goal, clean sheet, SAFE and bacon, egg, black pudding, square slice, brown sauce and toast for late breakfast with mug of tea, followed by another mug of tea with some shortbread.  It’s a good day in the neighborhood. I think I even saw the wife smile but maybe not. 😄

• Haha 1

Just now, Great Balls of Shire said:

Your opinion is usually wrong and invariably negative, we could all post negative stuff , just try and be more objective...we were  much better than Killie 

So what? Yes we were much better than Killie today but could anyone have said with confidence beforehand that we would be and that we would win?  No one knows how any game is going to pan out.

Dundee Utd have been hopeless all season yet managed to beat us at home a few weeks ago, so today was no foregone conclusion.

I have said for weeks now that one more win should cement our safety and today I believe we have managed that. But it was a nervy, tense game which wasn’t sealed until stoppage time and having won it I believe that we are now safe from relegation this season. And I’m delighted and relieved about that.

Finally, I haven’t really said anything ‘negative’ about our survival chances in the last couple of weeks. Simply that I didn’t believe we were ‘safe’ as some posters were claiming we were. I said that we needed another win to be sure of that and I believe that we got that safety securing win today.

So, before today we weren’t safe but now we are. 

• Haha 1

Excellent, gritty performance despite the best efforts of whistle happy Kevin Clancy to stop the game at every turn. He really is dire. Agree that the long stoppage in the first half put us right off our stride but we recovered well and dug in in the second. KVV really is on another level right now, that first touch for his goal was sublime and right out of the top drawer. Spittal pulling the strings in midfield was great also and he was my choice for MOTM.

COYW

• Like 1

A great result which should have been out of sight long before full time. Killie so anti football and great seeing that tit Armstrong get his comeuppance. Van Veen unbelievable today and amazing what a change of manager does. Kettlewell been great though lack of early substitution could have cost us but all good in end. Ps. MJC......love your honesty but please relax.....we are safe

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

So there you have it the world is Round, the strip didn't get us relegated, KVV is a top class player and MJC is a Fud!!!!!, he's going to be on soon with more silly Scooby doo pictures saying we're not safe yet. Apparently he doesn't even go to games as he's still stuck under the bed. Total panic merchant. 

We are well safe, MJC just giving his own view which yip a tad half empty but we are all well fans and one big happy family tonight....COYW

Thought we were worthy winners today and thoroughly deserved the 3 points.

Killie never really looked like scoring from open play and we defended pretty well for the most part. Their best chances came from set plays.

That said, you are never that comfortable at 1-0 as you are always just one deflection or a Polworth worldy away from disappointment.

Thought it was a bit of a masterclass from KVV today. Some of his touches were out of this world and he coulda/shoulda scored more than the one. Not quite sure what was going on at the end. He seemed very emotional for some reason and certainly appeared to be taking a moment to himself.

Looking forward to his highlights reel on Sportscence.......