Motherwell v Ross County 20/05/2023

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, stv said:

Add influencer to his list of many talents.

Yes, he's a cocky bugger. I just wish more Scottish players were as gallus (with some talent to back it up, admittedly).

The Dutch don't give a flying fruit bat for anyone.

As we say in Hamilton: mair pooer tae yer elbuck (yer actual Dutch).

10 hours ago, Coatsy said:

It gets a lot of stich but I think VAR has been really good for us so far can't see many descisions that have went against us and quite a few for 

VAR has its issues or should I say officials have issues with VAR. However the correct decisions are made more often than not. Those who want it binned would be clawing the roof down if RC had won that game  had both decisions not been checked. As for those that whinge because offside is called because its a heel or hand they get right on my titis. what cant they cant seem to understand is that is now the level to which offside is looked at. What do they want, do they want it left vague so its open to interpretation ? all that does is cause more arguments. Its now either offside or its not and that's a good place to be.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

I felt the 12+ minutes added because of the VAR deliberations really frustrating and affected what little fluency was in the game  but in the end the referee did the right thing, although it seemed for quite long spells in the game that he wasn't giving us any fouls. Surprised the up- ending of Goss in the box wasn't referred to VAR but you can't have everything.

in general we looked jaded and I think SK has wrung just about the last drop from this group of players.  It's going to be a tough and tiring week but at least we won't have any relegation nerves to trouble us.

Thats my biggest issue with VAR it takes far too long to arrive at the decision and the officials are bloody shocking conveying the the outcome. Even after the ref checked the monitor he ran all the way back to Kelly had another wee chat before pointing out that the penalty had been overturned. He should have clearly signalled before that. The fans frustration with VAR would be eased if the Refs were mic'd up as they are in Rugby so everyone knows what going on. How often have we heard the Tannoy announcer saying there is a VAR check after the check has been done and dusted.   

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Thats my biggest issue with VAR it takes far too long to arrive at the decision and the officials are bloody shocking conveying the the outcome. Even after the ref checked the monitor he ran all the way back to Kelly had another wee chat before pointing out that the penalty had been overturned. He should have clearly signalled before that.

Noticed that at the time. The ref ran back to the penalty box before announcing his decision. He was followed by a group of players but refused to tell them. Time wasted needlessly. 

13 minutes ago, santheman said:

Might have missed it but any info anywhere as to why Ross County's penalty was overturned?

Not that I care just curious. 

There was a VAR angle that showed Butcher won the ball cleanly. 

It looked like Butcher won the ball. Quite clear on the replay

McKay did not have an issue with the overrule. He did complain that the referee blew his whistle immediately. As a result he believes that the player who then had a shot did not really strike the ball as he would have, because he heard the whistle. So Kelly tipped it over the bar. Apparently the referee apologised for calling the penalty so quickly but he was certain it was a clear foul. He was wrong. The referee is supposed to let the play finish before calling it, just in case the ball ends up in the net. As soon as he whistles, the play is dead and nothing else comes into play.

At the time I wondered why it was a drop ball and not a corner. But the drop ball was correct because play was dead before the Kelly save. Basically the referee got it all wrong.

Might have been deflected for a corner but he blew for half time anyway.

The referee was chronic. I've seen him in a few games, not always involving Motherwell, and he often abdicates decisions...relying on VAR to intervene if need be. Several of his non decisions have been highlighted on Sportscene.  And he is not the only referee guilty of that.  Been happening all season. Ironic that the big decision he did have the balls to make was totally wrong in so many aspects. Trying so hard not to issue a second yellow to the guy who was determined to get sent off just highlighted his reluctance to make a decision. 

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

VAR has its issues or should I say officials have issues with VAR. However the correct decisions are made more often than not. Those who want it binned would be clawing the roof down if RC had won that game  had both decisions not been checked. As for those that whinge because offside is called because its a heel or hand they get right on my titis. what cant they cant seem to understand is that is now the level to which offside is looked at. What do they want, do they want it left vague so its open to interpretation ? all that does is cause more arguments. Its now either offside or its not and that's a good place to be.

For me it's more the consistency with the officials using VAR and the time taken, earlier in the season Hammell moaned about a handball vs Aberdeen not even being checked with seconds remaining and he mentioned the reply given was a mistake was made and all handball's in the box like that will result in a penalty, fast forward two weeks later at Tynecastle and they say no to Sibbick handling but penalise Sol for the same thing. Then more recently, the offside goal vs Rangers where the lines showed that he was fractionally off but the explanation was that the lines are touching so advantage goes to the attacker. I've not seen it back but Kettlewell referenced that KVV versus Dundee United had an effort ruled off for similar. 

However it was great to see the officials come to the correct conclusion yesterday. That's twice Butcher has been penalised against them but VAR has helped overturn. The County players put up a massive protest at ours but it's weird thing to do when they know Willie Collums watching.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, santheman said:

Might have missed it but any info anywhere as to why Ross County's penalty was overturned?

Not that I care just curious. 

The highlights on sportscene show the 1st RC player to go down did so with no contact from a well player, so he dived, then butcher won the ball cleanly before the 2nd RC player fell over him.

VAR doing what it was introduced for to stop clear and obvious errors, just a pity its taking too long and not always getting it correct.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pretzel said:

For me it's more the consistency with the officials using VAR and the time taken, earlier in the season Hammell moaned about a handball vs Aberdeen not even being checked with seconds remaining and he mentioned the reply given was a mistake was made and all handball's in the box like that will result in a penalty, fast forward two weeks later at Tynecastle and they say no to Sibbick handling but penalise Sol for the same thing. Then more recently, the offside goal vs Rangers where the lines showed that he was fractionally off but the explanation was that the lines are touching so advantage goes to the attacker. I've not seen it back but Kettlewell referenced that KVV versus Dundee United had an effort ruled off for similar. 

However it was great to see the officials come to the correct conclusion yesterday. That's twice Butcher has been penalised against them but VAR has helped overturn. The County players put up a massive protest at ours but it's weird thing to do when they know Willie Collums watching.

Yeah, that's the annoyance for me as well, just the general consistency. You would think it would be a ref's dream to be able to watch those decisions again from various angles and rectify a mistake but they arse it up far too often. Like you say the decisions you mentioned above are frustrating then you get Tony Watt winning an appeal after a VAR review is quite embarrassing, whereas similar tackles have been unsuccessful.

Anyway, I actually enjoyed the game but it did have that end-of-season vibe to it, you can see why County are struggling. For a big lad, Jordan White is not very good in the air, probably unfortunate that they lost Brophy through injury. I can't remember the one shot they had on target other than the one that was denied just as the ref blew for a penalty. Spittal had a great chance in the second half when he had acres of space but he opted to try and pass it to VV when it seemed easier for him.  

Hard to make up my mind who I'd rather see go down, Goodwin for his remarks plus he will take Tony Watt with him, or Liam Polworth his wife, and the Plastic Pitch. Prob both if possible.

4 hours ago, maz said:

Hard to make up my mind who I'd rather see go down, Goodwin for his remarks plus he will take Tony Watt with him, or Liam Polworth his wife, and the Plastic Pitch. Prob both if possible.

For me that's the ideal scenario Dundee Untd finishing bottom and Kilmarnock and their horrible pitch getting pumped in the playoff and also going down.

Ross County is a great away day so would like to see them stay up

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maz said:

Yeah, that's the annoyance for me as well, just the general consistency. You would think it would be a ref's dream to be able to watch those decisions again from various angles and rectify a mistake but they arse it up far too often. Like you say the decisions you mentioned above are frustrating then you get Tony Watt winning an appeal after a VAR review is quite embarrassing, whereas similar tackles have been unsuccessful.

Anyway, I actually enjoyed the game but it did have that end-of-season vibe to it, you can see why County are struggling. For a big lad, Jordan White is not very good in the air, probably unfortunate that they lost Brophy through injury. I can't remember the one shot they had on target other than the one that was denied just as the ref blew for a penalty. Spittal had a great chance in the second half when he had acres of space but he opted to try and pass it to VV when it seemed easier for him.  

Isn’t Tony Watt at StMirren now? 

15 hours ago, pretzel said:

I agree there are inconsistencies.

The introduction of VAR never promised every error would be eliminated but if the media, especially ex player pundits,  would just take a deep breath and ask has VAR allowed officials to get more right than wrong and it has.

The issue is the media need something to obsess about and pundits need something to talk shite about. If a game has 4 VAR interventions 3 are right 1 is wrong all they focus on is the 1 wrong one and VAR was never a promise of infallibility.  

6 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

The highlights on sportscene show the 1st RC player to go down did so with no contact from a well player, so he dived, then butcher won the ball cleanly before the 2nd RC player fell over him.

VAR doing what it was introduced for to stop clear and obvious errors, just a pity its taking too long and not always getting it correct.

Right so the referee surely needed to do the 'no penalty' sweep of his arms as soon as he left the monitor before swiftly booking the player for simulation.

Regarding the half time whistle, Casey clipped a shot towards the top far corner of the goal, it was tipped over for a corner and the referee did not allow it to be taken.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

By the time Utd are relegated Watt will have signed a new contract elsewhere.

He's still got another two years at Tannadice so good luck to them paying his wages in the championship.