Motherwell v Dundee Utd, Sunday 28/5/23

fizoxy

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Just seen the sportscene highlights, untds penalty was never a pen a feckin outrageous decision, Fletcher was all over Mugabi, who had no idea wher the ball was, another VAR fuck up, its a nonsense how this is being allowed to continue.

we got a penalty for the exact same thing against Ross County. 

Well, that was a thoroughly enjoyable day at the fitba!

Well, the second half at least!

Great early start with KVV getting the 11 in a row, but after that we regressed and allowed United to dominate the possession and eventually the chances.

Would need to see the pen again, but didnt think Bevis did too much wrong and Fletcher certainly never claimed for it.

However, we can hardly complain as they missed a barrowload of chances and Kelly pretty much kept us in it to half time.

Second half started poorly and their 2nd goal is far too easy. We were cut open like a hot knife through butter. Pretty much shows on its own the importance of us keeping on Butcher and Casey!

After that though I thought we were brilliant. The subs helped with more urgency in our play and we created more than enough chances to deserve to win the game handsomely, even taking into account our poor first half.

Need to see the disallowed goal again, was hard to see much wrong with it but there was so much going on it was difficult to tell. Nice that Max got the 3rd to make up for it, and from his celebrarions he definitely looks like he is away.

On Kev. Great to get the 11. Should have had the 30 when Goss had a simple 5 yard pass to him for a tap in and somehow played it behind him. And the Slattery free kick? I know he scored a perler at Kilmarnock but if Im KVV theres no way he is hitting that!

All in all, a satisfying close to the season.

Big changes in the summer and Kettlewell will have to prove himself all over again by re-shaping this squad in his own image and hopefully maintaining the performance and consistency levels since he came in.

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Just seen the sportscene highlights, untds penalty was never a pen a feckin outrageous decision, Fletcher was all over Mugabi, who had no idea wher the ball was, another VAR fuck up, its a nonsense how this is being allowed to continue.

It was Collum.

But McLean can still over rule him.

18 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Is that not just a comment on his overall ability, rather than specific to today's game?

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

It was an entertaining game and hopefully Kettlewell can draw some lessons from it for next season. KVV getting the award as a send off was a nice touch but Liam Kelly was motm by a mile and kept us in it. Our inability to play with any tempo when we are in the lead is pathetic, there was so much more effort from the team when we went behind than at 1-0 or 1-1. The mentality is shocking. 

SOD showed why he can't be the starting right wing back next season, he's a very expensive squad man. Mugabi has to go. Blaney is actually worse than Lamie. Mandron and Obika are dross and Aitchison offered nothing again so we are probably looking for 4 new forwards which means next season is a complete lottery. 

Max Johnson came on for 20 minutes and showed the two dicks playing with Van Veen how you finish in the box. Lennon Miller had some great tackles and passes and really grew into the game, Slattery came on and barely got the ball under control. Bringing through youth has to be the number 1 priority for the club. 

You would like to think we should be able to get McGinn signed up ok but it would be a huge boost to get Casey and Furlong as well. Goss is worth keeping as well. 

Aitchison never came on today

A nice end to season and delighted for KVV Getting the record and Spittal for a goal and also a delicious cross which had no takers.   I hate criticising but Bevis and Mandron simply not good enough.  Slattery also I would happily punt, he was determined to take that free kick and truly made dugs dinner of it 

For me SK ,(Lowest hairline in Scottish fitba) deserves huge credit and let's see what happens close season 

For me the strangest statistic of  the season, which was a binfire for us for  several months, (according to the BBC Sport page, admitttedly) is that only Celtic and Rangers conceded fewer goals than wot we pure done.

Mind you, thank God for Butcher and Casey: Bevis was so far off it today I felt sorry for him (In between swearing at him). He's not good enough even as a back-up at this level. Same for Mandron: Obika did more in ten minutes than he had managed in the game. He has no idea when/where to run and has a thruppeny-bit heid (for older fans only, obvs.).

Big job for SK to rebuild the squad but I feel he has the skills for the job. HIS stats are quite amazing.

How much are we prepared to accept for KVV?

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Need to see the disallowed goal again, was hard to see much wrong with it but there was so much going on it was difficult to tell. Nice that Max got the 3rd to make up for it, and from his celebrarions he definitely looks like he is away

From the replays we saw on MFC TV, disallowing the goal was unfortunately the correct decision.

7 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

2-3 million for a 32 year old is most certainly pricing him out of a big money move he's earned.

Exactly. 

Having no sell-on value due to age is a minus in the transfer fee column.

The other thing, maybe ironically, is that some clubs might think he's peaked this season.

It's rare an on-form striker has left us and repeated the same form.  They struggle to score half their tally. 

I'd love to see 7 figures, but I'd guess it ends up as 'undisclosed' and a high 6 figures. 

13 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Exactly. 

Having no sell-on value due to age is a minus in the transfer fee column.

The other thing, maybe ironically, is that some clubs might think he's peaked this season.

It's rare an on-form striker has left us and repeated the same form.  They struggle to score half their tally. 

I'd love to see 7 figures, but I'd guess it ends up as 'undisclosed' and a high 6 figures. 

Im sure we can find a buyer at that price 25 goal striker shouldnt come cheap Nisbet will go for 3-4m should at least get half of that for KVV.

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Don't forget we were absolutely rotten for most of this season, bottom of the league and knocked out of three cups really cheaply. He had a point.

We were never bottom of the league this season and were only in the bottom two 2 weeks out of 38.

Sligo and Raith Rovers were disappointing but losing to Celtic was to be expected.

I'd even go as far as to say the standard of football we played this season, even for the most part under Hammell, was better than for at least 3 seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Im sure we can find a buyer at that price 25 goal striker shouldnt come cheap Nisbet will go for 3-4m should at least get half of that for KVV.

Kevin Nisbet is 26 , whether we like it or not being 32 puts a definite limit on KVV salability. I'd be amazed but delighted if we get 7 figures. £750,000 tops is what I think it will be. Love to be wrong. However there are three parties in this agreement that need to be happy, the player, his agent and the club. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, numpty said:

From the replays we saw on MFC TV, disallowing the goal was unfortunately the correct decision.

Aye saw Sportscene. Defo offside. Wasnt that obvious at the game. Spittal must be really quick! 😆

6 hours ago, steelboy said:

His passing and shooting is generally dreadful. He gave Miller a hospital pass in the first half when there was zero pressure on him which sums up a lot of his play. 

He's a relegation battle player.

The truth about today is somewhere in the middle. Overall he had a good game and scored a great goal but had a poorish first half, as did many others to be fair.  Yes, it was a hospital pass. 

12 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

we got a penalty for the exact same thing against Ross County. 

Not sure about that Exile. My impression is that they are very different in nature. I've yet to see United's penalty from today but have heard several similar accounts of it. I thought Lacovitti's penalty was totally different. The ball was in front of him, he could see it and his arm moves towards it to apparently swat it away either intentionally or unintentionally -  arm/hand to ball. 

6 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

For me the strangest statistic of  the season, which was a binfire for us for  several months, (according to the BBC Sport page, admitttedly) is that only Celtic and Rangers conceded fewer goals than wot we pure done.

Mind you, thank God for Butcher and Casey: Bevis was so far off it today I felt sorry for him (In between swearing at him). He's not good enough even as a back-up at this level. Same for Mandron: Obika did more in ten minutes than he had managed in the game. He has no idea when/where to run and has a thruppeny-bit heid (for older fans only, obvs.).

Big job for SK to rebuild the squad but I feel he has the skills for the job. HIS stats are quite amazing.

How much are we prepared to accept for KVV?

Mind you got a lot for thruppence back in the day.

6 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not sure about that Exile. My impresion is that they are very different in nature. I've yet to see United's penalty from today but have heard several similar accounts of it. I thought Lacovitti's penalty was totally different. The ball was in front of him, he could see it and his arm moves towards it to apparently swat it away either intentionally or unintentionally -  arm/hand to ball. 

Yeah against County, the player also seems to be more concerned with blocking Obika and ends up swotting it away with his hand when he eventually loses the flight of it.

I’ve not seen the Mugabi penalty back incident back, sometimes it will amaze you what you miss at a game but to me, it looked like he got elbowed in the head by Fletcher, then when VAR was mentioned I was convinced that’s what it was looking at. I’m convinced Fletcher also handled it in the box but I’m going to assume it must have bounced off another body part onto his hand as Willie Collum wouldn’t be missing that.

Up until yesterday's game we had only conceded 4 penalties this season and to think one was against Livi where the ball was blasted off of Lamie's elbow from behind from like a foot away and another was against Hearts where Sol's arms were down by his side but earlier in the game they let Sibbick away with the exact same thing. Then more recently it was against Dundee United where the ref gave two different decisions on incidents that looked exactly the same.

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not sure about that Exile. My impresion is that they are very different in nature. I've yet to see United's penalty from today but have heard several similar accounts of it. I thought Lacovitti's penalty was totally different. The ball was in front of him, he could see it and his arm moves towards it to apparently swat it away either intentionally or unintentionally -  arm/hand to ball. 

This is correct.

2 totally different incidents.

Mugabi goes up to head the ball. Fletcher pushes him in the back. The ball is behind Mugabi who cant see it and it strikes him on the upper arm. There is no movement to the ball. He was jumping for the ball so his arm is in a totally natural position. Its never a penalty in a million years. All 3 Sportscene pundits agreed.

The hand ball rule is broken.

• Like 1