Season 23/24 Dundee v Motherwell 06/08/23

SteelmaninOZ

36 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Just don't get the criticism of O'Donnell, if young Max had made the run and cross for the goal, many on here would be adding a million onto transfer fee. But as I said none more fickle than some on here. On a lighter note heard that the Rangers are on 2 quiz programmes next week, The Chase and Pointless, over to you Grizzly!!!!!. 

I agree with this 100%. He seems like a decent guy and solid pro who for a time represented the club for Scotland. It is a very strange attitude that a small minority of Well fans have adopted with him. The lack of support he got from some of the Well support during the Euro's was baffling. He was a fraction away from scoring at Wembley. Had he done so he would not be playing for us right now. The fickle nature of football.

His assist yesterday was lovely. Really nice to see two underfire players ( crazy though that is) combine to get the goal 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Totally agree about SOD, never understood the amount of criticism the guy gets, had an assist yesterday and not as bad as some make out. You don't get 25 caps for Scotland if you are rank rotten.

PS. After yesterday's defeat Rangers odds of winning title are now 15 to 1 😜😜

The chase ,pointless or 15 to 1 . You can take your pick.  One for the oldies.

45 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

At the time I thought VAR might bring it to the referees attention. Was an unbelievably daft thing to do.

I have to assume that it was checked, because it was so blatant. His brain switched off a couple of times yesterday.

19 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Butcher is a huge loss, on a par with KVV for me. We unfortunately don’t have another defender at the club who has the attributes to play middle of the back 3. 

I agree. I'd be inclined to try McGinn there only as he seems to have slightly more of a football brain than the other candidates. What I would say about the defence in mitigation is that we have played five games so far this season and five different back threes. That can't help...

Just watched the TV highlights from yesterday and have 3 takeaways.

Bair took his goal very well indeed and first time - impressed. There's a player there somewhere.

Its concerning just how easily Dundee seemed to be able to cut our midffield and defence apart. On a couple of highlighted occasions, including their goal, a Dundee player managed to thread through several defenders without any tackle whatsoever being made.  Too easy blame Souare and central defenders - a bit more to it than that.

Dundee's second hitting the woodwork effort - one of their players was about half a metre offside. Just glad it hit the woodwork as I wouldn't trust VAR.

11 hours ago, mio said:

Is this a penalty?

Definitely! I saw that while watching on Motherwell TV. We got away with that! 

5 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I have to assume that it was checked, because it was so blatant. His brain switched off a couple of times yesterday.

I don’t think it was ‘Cause it’s a blatant penalty!!!

10 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Definitely! I saw that while watching on Motherwell TV. We got away with that! 

I don’t think it was ‘Cause it’s a blatant penalty!!!

Never a penalty, keeper had the ball in his hands, so the ball was not in active play, nothing to see here

12 hours ago, mio said:

Is this a penalty?

Remember seeing this at the time and being very worried that VAR might want another look at it. It is absolutely handball but had no impact on the game.

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Show me That in  the rules. 

From the FA rules / laws of the game law 12

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Direct and indirect free kicks and penalty kicks can only be awarded for offences committed when the ball is in play.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Direct and indirect free kicks and penalty kicks can only be awarded for offences committed when the ball is in play.

I’m pretty sure the ball is in play when the goalie has it in his hands

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I don’t think the ball is technically out of play when it is held by the goalkeeper. However it cannot be played or touched by an opponent until the goalkeeper puts the ball on the ground or otherwise lets go of it. 
On the basis it was not an opponent who touched the ball, the referee could have decided it was a hand ball by Casey. However if VAR or the referee did see it, perhaps they used common sense or simply did not know what to do?  So ignored it.  I’m guessing the laws of the game don’t actually cover an incident like that as nobody thought of any player being daft enough to handle the ball when their own goalie is holding it. 
I do think that is backed up by the fact that if a defender knocks the ball loose from the hands of their own goalkeeper, the ball is playable. Whereas if an opponent knocks the ball loose it is a foul. If Casey had knocked the ball loose with his hand and the ball had rolled or been played into the net by a Dundee player, I suspect a goal would have been given. Surely a referee could not give a foul on the goalkeeper by his own player so would have no grounds for denying a goal. 
Whatever, I hope Casey does not risk it again. We might not be so lucky. 

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

The ball is still in play when the keeper is holding it. 

10 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

When Kelly kicks it or throws it to another well player, then it's back in play, same scenario as when he's placing the ball before s free kick, as I said never a penalty.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, GrahamH said:

The ball is still in play when the keeper is holding it. 

No it's not, all of the other players are wandering back to their positions ready for Kelly to kick it or throw it, thats when it's back in active play, never a penalty.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

For example if Casey had decide to punch a Dundee player while Kelly was holding the ball it would have been a penalty. The ball did not go out of play, Kelly made a save. 

Read my first response properly the law only applies to the awards of direct and  indirect free kicks and penalty kicks, not red card offences.