SPL Motherwell v Kilmarnock 26/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

28 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

No stealing a win today, we deserved those 3 points after that 2nd half performance.

Totally agree,that much improved second half performance more than deserved the result,it does feel like killie have done us at the end of a few games over the years,it's always nice for a bit of payback,you really can't beat a last minute winner.

Brutal first half. Not sure there were any pass marks at all. Similar to 1st half against hibs but this time had the fear as there was no Mika.

Totally transformed 2nd half. Tweak of formation and a serious injection of desire. By far the better team in the last 45 mins and a good watch. The new defender came onto a game as well and Paton - who we have been reliably informed on here as shite - was our best player and made a huge difference. Penalty miss made it tough but justice prevailed.

Onwards and upwards. Ideally dont give Hearts a 45 minute head start next week please.

Credit to the manager for the half-time change. I couldn't see us scoring at all at HT but subbing Efford and bringing on Paton to push forward was a great switch.

Karma for  McInnes perhaps for all his disruptive substitutions? As soon as Killie kicked off after our second goal, the ref blew for full time. Cue Killie players hitting the turf.

McInnes did a real job on us today in the first half (not for the first time) and there wasnt a single part of the team performing effectively as a result.

Killie were well deserving of the lead at HT and it left me questioning where we were really heading this season.

Credit to SK. It was a bold move to change things at HT and tear up his gameplan, but it worked a treat and Harry Paton had his best game in a Motherwell shirt.

We bossed the second half and thoroughly deserved to win the game, despite missing the penalty.

The squad is threadbare at the moment due to injuries, and I think we beed a couple more in before the window closes, but SK and this team keep answering the questions placed in front of them

Long may it continue!

Just now, texanwellfan said:

Stat at Half time we’re about 60/40 possession for Killie perhaps a we bit worse. At FT we came out slightly ahead on possession. So it was a real turnaround not just a case (no pun intended) of us managing to score two goals.  We played much better individually and as a team. Some of our football was good to watch and our goals were a delight to watch. Hopefully some of our injured players make good progress and cut short some of the estimated return dates. Beir had a decent second half but still plenty room for improvement but then we know that ‘cause SK pretty much told us “project”. Isn’t it great to have a manager with more than plan A !!!!

Today sums up why we all love this club.  A week full of negativity and yet come 5.00 we are joint leaders of league!!

First half brutal and up front a huge concern.  But fair play to kettlewell, he recognised the problems and changed us to 4 5 1 with Slattery and Spittal the support to the Bair.   Paton was outstanding and for me was turning point.  Spencer for me will be a good addition.  Mugabi and SOD had some bad moments but hung on in there.   Dan the Man is a legend and getting him on new deal was massive.

Bair was better in lone striker role but just doesn't look the part and we need a striker before deadline.

7 hours ago, Big Stall said:

Brutal first half. Not sure there were any pass marks at all. Similar to 1st half against hibs but this time had the fear as there was no Mika.

Totally transformed 2nd half. Tweak of formation and a serious injection of desire. By far the better team in the last 45 mins and a good watch. The new defender came onto a game as well and Paton - who we have been reliably informed on here as shite - was our best player and made a huge difference. Penalty miss made it tough but justice prevailed.

Onwards and upwards. Ideally dont give Hearts a 45 minute head start next week please.

Were you at the Hibs game? Curious about your choice of words. Motherwell didn't put a foot wrong either half and as far as I remember, Kelly (besides the penalty) only had one save to make. Please tell me what game you were watching because Hibs offered nothing.

4 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

Were you at the Hibs game? Curious about your choice of words. Motherwell didn't put a foot wrong either half and as far as I remember, Kelly (besides the penalty) only had one save to make. Please tell me what game you were watching because Hibs offered nothing.

In the first half against hibs, both teams were brutal. It looked like we had a long season infront of us, no link between middle & front & no goal threat. Hibs were abject as well. Mika changed the game.

Yesterday, first half we looked similar - i.e shite.

What I really enjoyed about yesterday is the willingness to change it. 2 up front in the first half wasn't working. In part as neither of the front 2 were good enough but also we were out muscled in midfield for a variety of reasons. 

Having a manager being willing and able to adapt the set up mid game is refreshing.  It was an obvious change that we needed but previous managers were often too stubborn to change.  SK is showing an ability to adapt as we go.

FWIW given Lennon is learning & Spittal/Slattery both prefer to get up the park the formation we finished the game is currently the one we should start with.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I actually thought he wasn't that great . I thought his distribution was utterly woeful. Defensively OK 

I thought he was somewhere in between. Great on the ball not so good off it. His first game of course, but in the first half he was caught out a good few times when defending. Surprised to see him on the left side, as I thought he was right sided. Give him time to settle in. Unless we sign another LWB, I'd switch him and SOD. Again, for different reasons, not an endorsement of McGinley or Wilson.  

• Like 1

The proverbial game of 2 halves. In the first 45 we were awful. We showed Killie far too much respect, sat far too deep and couldn't compete. The midfield was anonymous, with the exception of Slattery. For whatever reason, they simply bulldozed us in the middle of the park. Their goal ,when it came, was no surprise. They'd whipped in 2 or 3, pretty much uncontested, crosses from the right and caught us on the back post. Efford was like a fish out of water. The tactic of shelling long aerial balls to him simply didn't work. To be fair to him he's not an out and out striker, more of a winger. Irrespective of how well or badly he plays, he doesn't fit our system. Killie looked to be a class above us.

The withdrawl of Efford and introduction of Paton at half time was a masterstroke, to which McInnes had no answer. We were a different team in the second period and stood up to Killie and looked far more aggressive and competitive. Much of that was down to Paton who got wired in and buzzed about here there and everywhere.  He brought us much need energy in the middle. Great to see him score a late winner - you can't beat it.  Credit to Casey - he played well and took his goal immaculately.

Bair? I just don't see it. Although he's 6-3 he's no target man. SK did say though that he's a long term project or words to that effect. I suspect that he never intended to use Bair as much as being forced to do.

Final word about Killie and the ref. I would not describe Killie as agricultural. Physical, play acting and cynical yes. To be fair to them they spotted a weak ref early on after a scare and took advanatage of that. We were surprised that we finished with 11 men. The ref was never really in control of the game and you always felt it could boil over. No doubt these unresolved niggles will carry over into the next game between us.  

Credit to Derek McInnes. At 52, he's no spring chicken, but he has excellent eyesight. He was able to spot incidents accurately 60 yards away at pitch level. Impressive.

The Kettle is still boiling!     

18 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Thanks to that wee arse Armstrong for winding up Dan, you got your comeuppance wee man.

I don't really understand why the little prick bothers. He tried it with Furlong towards the end of last season as well and that didn't end well for him either.