Hearts v Motherwell 03/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Just watched the highlights on sportscene,  brilliant performance especially by our defence, Casey and Mugabi in particular.

I thought McGinn was unlucky for the 2nd booking and how the linesman thought Slattery was offside is a feckin disgrace, VAR showed he was at least a yard or so onside.

A great 3 points to go joint top the season is moving along nicely the kettle is still on the boil.

Couldnt get a ticket for the game today but managed to catch a stream.

Excellent first half performance. We played some very good football and gave Hearts lots of problems. Think we deserved to be ahead at the break.

Hearts changed shape 2nd half and benefitted from more possession, but we defended very well for the most part and still looked dangerous on the break.

Spittal really should have made it 2-0 and I would have fancied us to see the game out from there.

McGinn was very unlucky to be sent off. His first yellow was borderline and his 2nd is very unfortunate. He does get the wrong side of Boyce who is very clever and works the situation to his advantage. Unfortunately the ref buys it.

Great backs to the wall defending second half. Everyone putting their bodies on the line to defend what we had. Thoroughly satisfying 3 points and another step along the way to SK forging his imprint on this team.

Enjoy the international break folks. The view is very nice from up here!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Don't think any player 'failed' today apart from maybe Bair. Midfield were all immense, as were the back line. We played some right good stuff in the first half. Even in the few times we got up the park in the 2nd, the football to get us there was good.

None of them failed but i've openly criticized Mugabi on a few occassions but he deserves praise for his recent performances and long may that continue

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

None of them failed but i've openly criticized Mugabi on a few occassions but he deserves praise for his recent performances and long may that continue

Mugabi was outstanding,that was as good as he's played for us.games like today suit him where he can go and attack every ball and clear his lines without thought,it's when he has time to think he can turn into a bombscare at any second.he showed today he can be a good player at our level,he just needs to stay switched on and show it more often.

3 minutes ago, mfc said:

Mugabi was outstanding,that was as good as he's played for us.games like today suit him where he can go and attack every ball and clear his lines without thought,it's when he has time to think he can turn into a bombscare at any second.he showed today he can be a good player at our level,he just needs to stay switched on and show it more often.

except when he had his brainfart in the 1st half and went for the same ball as dan , but he ho we recovered ;)

6 minutes ago, smiddy said:

except when he had his brainfart in the 1st half and went for the same ball as dan , but he ho we recovered ;)

Your right,I forgot all about that,probably cause anytime he makes a mistake we concede 😂

• Haha 1

Just watched sportscene.  What an absolute joy. So many great performances and also VAR a lifeline for goal (why the feck did linesman think that was offside!!!)

Slattery is a new player and Spittal ball for goal superb.  Don't tell Mrs grizzly but I just love Dan Casey and I know I have given him stick but big Bevis was excellent.

And finally to Hipster SK.  Not lost an away league game yet since becoming manager. I just like this guy and everything he is doing.

COYW

20 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Just watched sportscene.  What an absolute joy. So many great performances and also VAR a lifeline for goal (why the feck did linesman think that was offside!!!)

Ditto Grizzly. I thought McGinn's 2nd yellow was very harsh. To me, both players were fouling and a yellow card was not justiifed. It was hard to separate both players even after replays, so how the referee could come to a split second decision I don't know.  Pity we can't appeal yellows.

• Thanks 1

Great day out yesterday. 100% from every player was great to watch. We won't play much better than that. Mention also for the fans. Sold out our allocation and were in fine voice for the whole 90. Particularly loved the waaahey when the Jambos eventually chipped in with a half assed song effort. Glorious.

• Like 1

An amazing result, and so far, the season is shaping up nicely. This could be one of those seasons where one or more of Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen underperform, opening the door to the top six or even the top four for ourselves or St Mirren.

The manager has continued to do a great job, even if the new signings have yet to make any kind of real impact. The players who are making the difference for us are the same guys who were coming onto a game last season, which is perfectly fine with me.

I remain unconvinced about the players we've signed this summer for the most part, especially the likes of Bair, but we can overlook that if the team as a whole is performing.

10 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Even better than I thought. Didn’t realize it started with Kelly. Yet another superb team goal. 

Ironically it was one of the very few times Kelly released the ball quickly. He's got a tendancy to hold onto it for too long at times when there's a real opportunity to counter. The passes from O'Donnell and then Spittal were first class. Great team goal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, weeyin said:

I know the pic was posted earlier, but it sums up every Motherwell v Hearts game I've watched since the 70s.

b25lY21zOjNiNWIwZDMwLTQ3NjMtNDYyMy04YWY1

Only missing the flying batteries, coins and cans and it could be the early eighties.