Motherwell v St Mirren 16/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

15 minutes ago, David said:

Pipe down, you. He runs about a lot and tries hard. That's what really matters 😂

That’s true and I can’t fault his level of effort. He actually reminds me of Ryan Bowman in that he’s the type of forward who needs a goal scoring striker to play alongside in order to be effective.

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Just the usual Robinson scumbag tactics. 

Here’s hoping Hearts slap him and St.Mirren right back into their box next Saturday. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MJC said:

Obviously we can’t blame SK for Biereth (well done to everyone who booed Dunne today btw) but signing a player who had scored one goal all season and was ridiculed by St.Johnstone fans last season was madness. Obviously every signing we make is a gamble but at least try and stack the odds in your favour. The same could be said for re-signing a 32 year old Jon Obika who we knew was injury prone.

Yep, he won't enjoy his win bonus because of the sound of the boos .

Just like the Scotland fans during the week, become famous for booing 

Re game we did play well, will play worse and take points 

6 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Yep, he won't enjoy his win bonus because of the sound of the boos .

Just like the Scotland fans during the week, become famous for booing 

Re game we did play well, will play worse and take points 

Well obviously, but I still take satisfaction in our fans letting him know that he’s a c**t for his assault on Biereth the other week. 

Put it simply, Dunne, Robinson and St.Mirren are c**ts and the sooner they fall the better. 

48 minutes ago, David said:

Pipe down, you. He runs about a lot and tries hard. That's what really matters 😂

Sounding a bit desperate their David 

He is doing not bad imo and better than some have said he would do.

Lot of variables in football that some don't see and never will see.

• Like 1

Central defence today looked solid and in control.

Central midfielders all played well and looked creative going forward.

Bair up top didn't look like scoring and I'm not sure he ever will. About passable as a back up, but we'll struggle to get goals if he's our starter all season long. The main positive with Bair is at least he's not Mandron, who's no good at even the basics of holding up and running with the ball which Bair can do.

Wing backs good enough defensively, fairly poor going forward. Young Georgie Gent came on towards the end and, although it's too early to tell yet, looked like he might be able to make a contribution. Him at left back and McGinn/Spencer at right back would be a big improvement.

We were a bit unlucky today. I'm not sure we deserved to win, but we were the better side. Perhaps due this one as we seemed to ride our luck at times against Killie and Hearts in the previous 2.

If one of our strikers comes good, we could be on to a top 6 season (and Euro football?!). If we keep struggling to find the net, we could be looking at 7th-9th position-wise.

Onwards and upwards!

Just now, gaz7 said:

Is he, though? It was widely acknowledged, even by fans of the teams he played for, that he definitely isn't lacking in effort, and he does run around a lot and puts in a shift. Which is fine. But he's not going to score goals at this level. He's not good enough.

And a striker needs to score goals. It doesn't need to be a lot, but it needs to be at least some. As we saw today, we can't rely on Spittal and Slattery to score regularly for us. They will chip in, but unless we're scoring goals, we're not going to win games.

We need Shaw to step up or one of our injured guys to get on a run of staying fit and scoring. Because Bair isn't the answer.

Even with better forward players at our disposal we have seen games like today so many times before,we played decent and were comfortable but lose by the one goal,it was a frustrating day all round but we have started the season well and shouldn't let it get us down.i think we're only a decent striker away from being a top six side this season but without one it could go either way.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Is he, though? It was widely acknowledged, even by fans of the teams he played for, that he definitely isn't lacking in effort, and he does run around a lot and puts in a shift. Which is fine. But he's not going to score goals at this level. He's not good enough.

And a striker needs to score goals. It doesn't need to be a lot, but it needs to be at least some. As we saw today, we can't rely on Spittal and Slattery to score regularly for us. They will chip in, but unless we're scoring goals, we're not going to win games.

We need Shaw to step up or one of our injured guys to get on a run of staying fit and scoring. Because Bair isn't the answer.

Nothing wrong with anything youve said there. Its just the emphasis thats wrong.

Shaw isnt up to speed and all our other strikers are still injured.

If SK is still picking Bair in 6 weeks time then I will support your critique.

Until then, lets just accept the boy is currently the best we have and get behind him.

If he scores the winner at Ibrox next week off his shin, Im sure we will all celbrate like madmen.

24 minutes ago, MJC said:

Well obviously, but I still take satisfaction in our fans letting him know that he’s a c**t for his assault on Biereth the other week. 

Put it simply, Dunne, Robinson and St.Mirren are c**ts and the sooner they fall the better. 

They're not a great team but like ourselves operate on limited resources so good luck to them, they got the rub of the green today.

Re Dunnes tackle I thought it was more clumsy than malicious but we have lost a decent player whatever.

1 minute ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

They're not a great team but like ourselves operate on limited resources so good luck to them, they got the rub of the green today.

Re Dunnes tackle I thought it was more clumsy than malicious but we have lost a decent player whatever.

Good luck to them fuck all. Their fans are arseholes and their manager uses tactics that set out to kick and injure opponents. 

They need to fall asap and the sooner that happens the better. 

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Nothing wrong with anything youve said there. Its just the emphasis thats wrong.

Shaw isnt up to speed and all our other strikers are still injured.

If SK is still picking Bair in 6 weeks time then I will support your critique.

Until then, lets just accept the boy is currently the best we have and get behind him.

If he scores the winner at Ibrox next week off his shin, Im sure we will all celbrate like madmen.

Yeah, no disagreement there. I'd just rather we gave someone like Ferrie that chance in the team rather than someone like Bair. 

Still, we'll see how it goes I guess.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, no disagreement there. I'd just rather we gave someone like Ferrie that chance in the team rather than someone like Bair. 

Still, we'll see how it goes I guess.

Ferries has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he could do anything.  Let's not get blinded because he's from our youth. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jastons said:

I enjoyed the game despite the result. We missed some very good chances (Bair in the 1st and Shaw in the 2nd). 

St Mirren are the dirtiest side I have seen us play. 

Has anyone seen replays of the possible penalty shouts? Handball in the 1st and foul on Bair in the 2nd.

Defo looked like a handball but I don't think it was a penalty as his hand was down by his side and not in an unnatural position.

Didn't we have three penalty shouts today?  I'm too far away from the other end to comment though.

21 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Defo looked like a handball but I don't think it was a penalty as his hand was down by his side and not in an unnatural position.

Didn't we have three penalty shouts today?  I'm too far away from the other end to comment though.

He managed to give a handball against SOD who was running full pelt and the ball hit his elbow.

Thought that was the best we've played in ages as far as passing and moving were concerned. Obviously we need a cutting edge, like SM's left-back 🤣. They were brutal and shared out their fouls nicely to avoid the red-card treatment from the ref. Dunne's simulation was really pathetic and deserved a card, imbo. They'll get fun' oot over the length of the season though and as our forward players return (Biereth in particular) I'm sure we'll surpass them in the league.

Lennon Miller is quite incredible for his age. Jim McLean would have had him on a contract until 2035.

A sore one today but no time to brood with games against THe Ghastlies coming up.

Just met a guy in Airdrie wearing a St Midden strip and I said "you stole 3 points today". I said their tactics were to kick the shit out of Lennon Miller. He said they were happy to beat 12 men as the ref gave them nothing all game. I pointed out they had 17 fouls and 5 bookings and most of the fouls were against Miller. His answer was that he goes down too easily. 

47 minutes ago, MJC said:

Good luck to them fuck all. Their fans are arseholes and their manager uses tactics that set out to kick and injure opponents. 

They need to fall asap and the sooner that happens the better. 

Bollocks , their fans are the same as any other support unless you've got insider knowledge on every one of them...would be easy for them to support the old firm

their manager will go down as one of our best ....so good luck to them.

Well, I think that was the best performance that I have seen from a Motherwell team in quite a while. Solid at the back and some superb interplay in the midfield areas. The only thing the team lacked today is a mobile front man that has intelligence of movement to allow the lead up play to result in a chance. Too many times the play got to the edge of the box, only for a sideways pass to be made. Too many times, the chances fell to the feet of midfield players that don’t have goal-scoring in their locker.

We'll be alright. If we can get a decent goalscorer on the pitch we could be much more than alright.

I think that a good season is ahead of us.

5 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Lennon Miller is quite incredible for his age.

Lennon Miller is certainly showing composure beyond his years. He appears to be a wonderful prospect. Let's hope that he continues to develop and that Motherwell benefit from his contribution while we have him, and benefit from a large fee when he inevitably moves on to bigger things.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Ferries has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he could do anything.  Let's not get blinded because he's from our youth. 

He hasn't really had a chance though, has he? And let's be honest, if we have strikers on our books who have less potential than Theo Bair? They shouldn't be at a club in the Scottish Premiership.

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

Sounding a bit desperate their David 

Lot of variables in football that some don't see and never will see.

Yeah I actually think Bair done really well today and the same at Tynecastle the other week. He done well to set up Spittal against Hearts and he blazed over when it was easier to score. He had two chances today one just past the post and one that he should perhaps have buried close in had he got a better purchase on the shot, he's hardly the semi professional player an admin had spouted earlier in there countless war and peace style posts on the ins and outs thread. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2