Ross County v Motherwell 05/12/23

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

I don’t think we will be relegated, even if we stick with SK, but I can’t see these awful performances turning back into us playing well. I feel like we will just eye-bleedingly shithouse our way to 10th.

I know what you mean but we’ve been in this situation far too many times in recent seasons and one of these times our number will come up. We’ve not been out of the top league since 1985 which for a club our size is quite remarkable. However, If you insist on keeping playing Russian roulette, sooner or later your number comes up. I hope I’m wrong but maybe this is our turn.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, David said:

A draw tonight, while not the result we'd like, is perfectly acceptable. It keeps County on 14 points, and keeps us in 8th. 

A loss, however, isn't what we want to see.

I agree with that and if we can shithouse our way to tenth place at the end of the season then that's fine by me. Until we can get a CEO on board who hopefully has a sustainable vision for the club and can address our recruitment concerns (Nick Daws for one) we're in limbo so survival at this time is all that matters.

If we can't beat the teams below/around us - with most of them having games in hand - then we won't be 8th for long. Furthermore, if we can't pick up more than the odd draw against our direct rivals in the bottom end, we'll quickly find ourselves fighting with Livingston for the position of the shittest.

Scraping draws at best against some of our direct rivals suggest that we will likely continue to lose against all of the top 5/6 on this current run of form. So, I still do not think a draw against Ross County tonight, given the context and run of results outlined, would be acceptable.

Put simply, if we can't start picking up 3 points instead of gutsy draws against those listed below, we will quickly plummet beyond shitfesting our way to 10th (to note that Aberdeen will have three games in hand after tonight) and deserve relegation. We need 3 points now, and to suggest otherwise is denying the reality of the situation and merely kicking the can down the road towards the inevitable. 

For context and with recent results:

Ross County (3-3), Aberdeen (2-4 loss), St. Jonhstone (2-2), and Livingston (2-0 loss) are below us.

Kilmarnock (1-0 loss) and Dundee (3-3) are above us.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, wellfan said:

If we can't beat the teams below/around us - with most of them having games in hand - then we won't be 8th for long. Furthermore, if we can't pick up more than the odd draw against our direct rivals in the bottom end, we'll quickly find ourselves fighting with Livingston for the position of the shittest.

Scraping draws at best against some of our direct rivals suggest that we will likely continue to lose against all of the top 5/6 on this current run of form. So, I still do not think a draw against Ross County tonight, given the context and run of results outlined, would be acceptable.

Put simply, if we can't start picking up 3 points instead of gutsy draws against those listed below, we will quickly plummet beyond shitfesting our way to 10th (to note that Aberdeen will have three games in hand after tonight) and deserve relegation. We need 3 points now, and to suggest otherwise is denying the reality of the situation and merely kicking the can down the road towards the inevitable. 

For context and with recent results:

Ross County (3-3), Aberdeen (2-4 loss), St. Jonhstone (2-2), and Livingston (2-0 loss) are below us.

Kilmarnock (1-0 loss) and Dundee (3-3) are above us.

completely agree. 

We're averaging less than a point a game and won 3 games from 15.  Unless we improve we're on track to be bottom 2 (based on how the league has played out in recent years)

Need to improve the win ratio. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

What's inevitable - Ross County, St Johnstone and Livingston winning games?

That's not my point and you know it. 

We need to focus on getting results against those around us, such as RC, St J, and Livi, instead of hoping that they don't start winning games against others. It's simple; we can only affect the former and cannot control the latter. And if we start to win again, which we need to start doing again ASAP, we may just consolidate ourselves as an 8/9th place team this season, regardless of those around us and how they perform in other games. 

45 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agreed. In normal times, a draw in Dingwall is a perfectly reasonable result. These aren't normal times though.

I think they have a bit more about them up front than us, Brophy , white, Murray, all good for a goal

Think it's livi we got to hope are worse than us, slog it out with saint j for play off place ...not very ambitious but it's hopefully worst case scenario.

4 minutes ago, wellfan said:

That's not my point and you know it. 

We need to focus on getting results against those around us, such as RC, St J, and Livi, instead of hoping that they don't start winning games against others. It's simple; we can only affect the former and cannot control the latter. And if we start to win again, which we need to start doing again ASAP, we may just consolidate ourselves as an 8/9th place team this season, regardless of those around us and how they perform in other games. 

No, I don't know it. I agree we need to be winning games and not relying on other teams, but fans of those sides will be saying the exact same thing. If a point tonight is a useless result for us, how will Ross County feel about it? And how can a team on such a horrendous run still be in 8th place, even allowing for the odd game in hand (Aberdeen apart)? There is nothing inevitable about this league other than average to poor performances from average to poor teams, and since I can't see anyone around us going on a miraculous winning run, I suspect it might come down to the wire, at least for the play-off place.

So, as disappointing as a draw would be tonight, I'd still class this as a must-not-lose game rather than a must-win.

16 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I think they have a bit more about them up front than us, Brophy , white, Murray, all good for a goal

County have scored 7 less than us with a game in hand. Only the gruesomes and Hibs are better off. If we could just shut the back door a wee bit....

Looks like Brophy's out for tonight.

Not sure we can say whether a draw tonight is a good result or not without considering Saturday. Despite the situation we’re in I still think a point tonight is a good result, however only if we do what is expect of us (bookies will have us as favourites) and win on Saturday. 4 points out of these 2 games would see us going to Paisley unbeaten in 4. I’d take that! 

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

If we can't beat the teams below/around us - with most of them having games in hand - then we won't be 8th for long.

Yes, we will. A draw tonight will see us split the first two fixtures against County after our draw with them at Fir Park. In the position we're in, what we don't want to be doing is losing. That's the bare minimum. 

A win is preferable obviously, but drawing away to Ross County (or any of the teams around us for that matter) isn't a disaster. It's just not the results of a team pushing for top six is all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, David said:

Yes, we will. A draw tonight will see us split the first two fixtures against County after our draw with them at Fir Park. In the position we're in, what we don't want to be doing is losing. That's the bare minimum. 

A win is preferable obviously, but drawing away to Ross County (or any of the teams around us for that matter) isn't a disaster. It's just not the results of a team pushing for top six is all.

McInnes said after the game where we came back to beat them 2-1 at the start of the season, I've told the players - if you can't find a way to win a game, make sure you don't lose it.

I imagine that's a common attitude with managers of middle to bottom sides.

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

County have scored 7 less than us with a game in hand. Only the gruesomes and Hibs are better off. If we could just shut the back door a wee bit....

Looks like Brophy's out for tonight.

Fair dues, I was just basing on previous game at fp when they looked good up front, but that might be exception ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

So SK thinks we will miss Paton tonight can somebody tell me what exactly we will miss . He...... let the wee Dundee number 10 have the freedom of Fir park on Saturday. 

Not the only one. Beck was also afforded the freedom of Fir Park. He motored up and down his wing from box to box unhindered. 

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

So SK thinks we will miss Paton tonight can somebody tell me what exactly we will miss . He. Floats about the park like Wayne Sleep doing SFA let the wee Dundee number 10 have the freedom of Fir park on Saturday 

He does stuff, marking isn’t one of them 

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

So SK thinks we will miss Paton tonight can somebody tell me what exactly we will miss . He. Floats about the park like Wayne Sleep doing SFA let the wee Dundee number 10 have the freedom of Fir park on Saturday 

It wasn't that long ago people were waxing lyrical about how good he was.