Motherwell v Ross County - 06/02/24

MJC

You would hope so. We go into it in fairly decent spirits. Playing reasonably well, not having lost in 5 and with only 2 defeats in 10, I think.

But we do need to start converting draws into wins and this presents an excellent opportunity to open up daylight between ourselves and the play off spot.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Don't be daft. A draw is the best result.

We need to win this one. And it’s our best chance to win a game since the Livingston home game in late December. Our recent performances have shown *some* encouraging signs. 

I’m letting heart rule head and saying that I think we will win here.

But. If we don’t then we are in serious trouble. 

2-0 us.

12 hours ago, MJC said:

We need to win this one. And it’s our best chance to win a game since the Livingston home game in late December. Our recent performances have shown *some* encouraging signs.

Its not a make or break game but its hugely important given the hard and intensive run of fixtures coming up. We're now hard to beat, which is a start, but are pretty toothless up front. We're still losing cheap goals, although maybe only one per game. Tactics and team selection need to be tweaked slightly if we are to win this.   

40 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its not a make or break game but its hugely important given the hard and intensive run of fixtures coming up. We're now hard to beat, which is a start, but are pretty toothless up front. We're still losing cheap goals, although maybe only one per game. Tactics and team selection need to be tweaked slightly if we are to win this.   

We need to go full Xavi mode and play some weird 4-3-3 to 3-4-3 in transition to batter them up top. The 3-6-1 (or thereabouts) will see us draw/lose more games than we'll win.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

If we can’t beat Ross County at home then I think we’re in serious trouble. We have improved but we’ve a long way to go yet and we now need victories rather than draws. One league win in nineteen is relegation form and although we are also on a run of one loss in seven if we don’t start turning draws into wins then it’s going to become more and more of a mental stumbling block and, more importantly, we risk being sucked into the playoff zone.

8 minutes ago, MJC said:

If we can’t beat Ross County at home then I think we’re in serious trouble. We have improved but we’ve a long way to go yet and we now need victories rather than draws. One league win in nineteen is relegation form and although we are also on a run of one loss in seven if we don’t start turning draws into wins then it’s going to become more and more of a mental stumbling block and, more importantly, we risk being sucked into the playoff zone.

It's a must-win home game against our relegation playoff spot rival. Nothing less than 3 points will suffice. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

It's a must-win home game against our relegation playoff spot rival. Nothing less than 3 points will suffice. 

What does that even mean? 

That reads like the laziest clichés in the worst newspapers. 

If we get something less than 3 points is there some new rule that means we're forbidden from winning any more games this season?

I suppose "good to win game, but a draw wouldn't be a disaster and even if we lost we've started to show better form that will likely pick up sufficient points to stay safe this season" match is a bit long winded. 

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It means that we cannot afford to lose against our direct rival at home, because our form since September suggests we're certainly not going to start winning against the teams further up the table anytime soon. We need to be picking up 3 points against those around us or else we’ll likely finish 11th at best. Put simply, another draw would mean our form is 1 win in 20 league games. That is a disaster, and if you don't think so, then so be it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, weeyin said:

That reads like the laziest clichés in the worst newspapers. 

If we get something less than 3 points is there some new rule that means we're forbidden from winning any more games this season?

I suppose "good to win game, but a draw wouldn't be a disaster and even if we lost we've started to show better form that will likely pick up sufficient points to stay safe this season" match is a bit long winded. 

You know exactly what it means, but you chose to respond with some patronising shite, "The laziest clichés in the worst newspapers" aye OK then 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, wellfan said:

It means that we cannot afford to lose against our direct rival at home, because our form since September suggests we're certainly not going to start winning against the teams further up the table anytime soon. We need to be picking up 3 points against those around us or else we’ll likely finish 11th at best. Put simply, another draw would mean our form is 1 win in 20 league games. That is a disaster, and if you don't think so, then so be it. 

Must win and can't afford to lose are obviously not quite the same thing. A draw would be a real opportunity missed, but if it ends that way, I don't see how failing to pick up 3 points against Ross County would be worse for us than them, given their current form.

4 hours ago, wellfan said:

Excellently put. I initially said it was "must not lose", but let's be honest, it's must win.

• Like 2

could be down to which manager talks the less/most dugshite ,   could be a good game, or could be the worst most boring teedious match of the season, time for gloves tammy dufflecoat boots 2 pair a socks n a scarf.     then the same clothes again on friday ,

3 minutes ago, smiddy said:

could be down to which manager talks the less/most dugshite ,   could be a good game, or could be the worst most boring teedious match of the season, time for gloves tammy dufflecoat boots 2 pair a socks n a scarf.     then the same clothes again on friday ,

Canny be that cauld you didn’t mention the long johns 🙄

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Can't keep playing catch up every game.  Ross Co dangerous up front so we need to keep it tight.  But with a vociferous home support and say young Lennon starting ahead of probably Paton or Halliday and hopefully we can get a crucial win

I think Paton is getting too much unnecessary stick just now and Halliday is an important player to have on the park. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I think Paton is getting too much unnecessary stick just now and Halliday is an important player to have on the park. 

Yup I agree. Paton never hides and loads of effort. Halliday I think does that quiet role that isn't noticed.

13 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yup I agree. Paton never hides and loads of effort. Halliday I think does that quiet role that isn't noticed.

yes on both ,, but we need someone who will have a strike (inbeetween the posts would be good ) and on his wee cameo last week i would like to see nicholson have a go, yesterday with 20 to go wouldv been my sub on for paton to at least give him a wee chance,  so how does our midfield look on tuesday ? miller to start ? for who? lots of questions, lots of answers