Aberdeen v Motherwell 14/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

Frustration of last night aside, ignoring our excellence at shitting the bed, accepting the fact we are defensively inept, our keeper is having a breakdown and the manager is clearly being blackmailed by some of the starting 11...

We *are* capable of playing some decent football.

Onwards to Hearts. Please buy me pints.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Funny to hear Aberdeen fans greetin about VAR. Without it, we'd have won 4-3.

4-4 surely,  Mijovski had a goal disallowed for offside by VAR as well, that said its poor from us we've scored 10 goals in our last 4 games and dropped 4 points and been knocked out of the cup.

SK seems to have sorted our goal threat issues he now needs to do the same with the defence as its brutal at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

4-4 surely,  Mijovski had a goal disallowed for offside by VAR as well, that said its poor from us we've scored 10 goals in our last 4 games and dropped 4 points and been knocked out of the cup.

SK seems to have sorted our goal threat issues he now needs to do the same with the defence as its brutal at the moment.

No mate.

On field decision was offside.

So with no VAR it would remain  offiside.

Our goal was given on field. With no VAR goal stands.

9 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

4-3. The linesman flagged for offside before VAR got involved. Ref gave our goal.

* as Joe said

Just now, Spiderpig said:

Fair enough I stand corrected 👍

Personally, Ive had it with VAR.

The clubs are paying a lot of money for it and we aint getting any better decision making.

Its a farce and needs binned.

10 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The clubs are paying a lot of money for it and we aint getting any better decision making.

Looking at the carnage in the box after Paton scored, you knew they'd find something. They could just as easily have chopped it off and awarded us a penalty. Farcical, right enough.

33 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Looking at the carnage in the box after Paton scored, you knew they'd find something. They could just as easily have chopped it off and awarded us a penalty. Farcical, right enough.

I agree. Said that at the time. The first foul to be commited after the taking of the corner was the defender with two handfuls of Obika's shirt. They seem to have taken the whole period from the corner to the goal (remember the ball even left the penalty box and came back in) and picked one of numerous infringements to chalk the goal off.

43 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

To be honest I thought it would be good for the game before it was introduced, but not now its a shambles, especially the bargin basement version we have combined with very poor operators.

It's ruining the game and needs to be binned but the amateurs running the SFA / SPFL won't have the bottle to make a choice like that.

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

To be honest I thought it would be good for the game before it was introduced, but not now its a shambles, especially the bargin basement version we have combined with very poor operators.

It's ruining the game and needs to be binned but the amateurs running the SFA / SPFL won't have the bottle to make a choice like that.

I thought so too, but last night showed how useless it is. The confirmation of an offside call, surely the most basic, human error free task it was designed to carry out, ends up looking like somebody used an Etch-a-sketch to make the decision, followed by another example of person or persons taking an eternity to see some things and miss others.

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

They've decided to use it to re-referee games, which is what happens when incompetents are given a new toy to help them.

In my view, VAR is a useful tool for helping officials judge offsides and goal-line issues, but that's about it.

Football is a contact sport, so players will often barge and tug and tackle and nudge, which always looks bad when slowed down and shown to some overpromoted prick who's never played the professional game themself. And players know this, so they either exploit it or are undone because they forget it exists. 

It's a farce and it's ruining the spectacle. People will stop going to games because the spontaneous joy has been sucked out of it. 

Yep totally agree.

The most annoying thing for me is when I watch match of the day on a Saturday night and see tackles/ pushes/ hand balls etc not given and players just told to get on with it  when you know that similar things up here will always result in a penalty.

Some of the bear hugs, both hands round necks and jersey pulls resemble cage fighting at times.

Down to the fact that English refs allow more physical contact or are just better than ours?

I'd bin it tomorrow.

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

They've decided to use it to re-referee games, which is what happens when incompetents are given a new toy to help them.

In my view, VAR is a useful tool for helping officials judge offsides and goal-line issues, but that's about it.

Football is a contact sport, so players will often barge and tug and tackle and nudge, which always looks bad when slowed down and shown to some overpromoted prick who's never played the professional game themself. And players know this, so they either exploit it or are undone because they forget it exists. 

It's a farce and it's ruining the spectacle. People will stop going to games because the spontaneous joy has been sucked out of it. 

Agreed. They're now looking actively at way's to "disallow" goals. Crazy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AllyMax said:

I agree. Said that at the time. The first foul to be commited after the taking of the corner was the defender with two handfuls of Obika's shirt. They seem to have taken the whole period from the corner to the goal (remember the ball even left the penalty box and came back in) and picked one of numerous infringements to chalk the goal off.

One would assume your interpretation would be correct that the first foul committed after the corner would be the outcome of the review. It would certainly help fans if the referee/VAR crew provided explanations, at the very least, post match, as to their review process and how decision was arrived at. Of course such an act would/could be quite embarrassing for the officials. It wasn’t just a little tug. As you state blatantly 2 handfuls, stopping him from moving. 

35 minutes ago, santheman said:

The most annoying thing for me is when I watch match of the day on a Saturday night and see tackles/ pushes/ hand balls etc not given and players just told to get on with it  when you know that similar things up here will always result in a penalty.

Some of the bear hugs, both hands round necks and jersey pulls resemble cage fighting at times.

Down to the fact that English refs allow more physical contact or are just better than ours?

I'd bin it tomorrow.

English football, at least at the higher levels, has always been more physical than ours. Bigger, faster, heavier and more athletic players. The last time I watched an English  Premier League game, admittedly some 2 or 3 years ago, I winced at some of the challenges. Not particularly dirty, but just like two 800kg Spanish fighting bulls colliding at full speed.

1 hour ago, AllyMax said:

There's certainly mileage in that arguement.

Now that my annoyance has subsided , it's just as well we didn't play that game when it was originally scheduled as we'd deffo been pumped.

We'd have take a point before the game kicked off. However I don't take away the criticism of the abysmal collapse. That Aberdeen team are poor so we should have been able to see that game out. Dreadful, not for the first time game management. 

Just reinforces that this squad for the umpteenth time doesn't have what it takes. Yeah periodically they can do it but consistently they have the same basic failings. Thankfully most of them are out of contract in the summer.

A big clear out is required and frankly I don't accept the "who will we get that's better arguement" that's what the managers paid for. That's his job.  

9 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Now that my annoyance has subsided , it's just as well we didn't play that game when it was originally scheduled as we'd deffo been pumped.

We'd have take a point before the game kicked off. However I don't take away the criticism of the abysmal collapse. That Aberdeen team are poor so we should have been able to see that game out. Dreadful, not for the first time game management. 

Just reinforces that this squad for the umpteenth time doesn't have what it takes. Yeah periodically they can do it but consistently they have the same basic failings. Thankfully most of them are out of contract in the summer.

A big clear out is required and frankly I don't accept the "who will we get that's better arguement" that's what the managers paid for. That's his job.  

I thought that wasn't his job?

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Me too.

Alas,

shoulda known better.

7 hours ago, Big Stall said:

Leaving aside the RL stuff that has happened to you or what has went on elsewhere, i think you are over-thinking this place.

You are clearly on one side of the spectrum - SK is trying hard/SOD is a lovely guy/Slattery is a great player etc etc. That is your opinion and that is completley fine. You have every right to it & folks have a right to disagree. 

Where you are wrong however is that the boo boys are the only opinion tolerated. Have a look at the responses Steelboy, Yodo & MJC get and you will see there are plenty giving them it tight.

Its a fans football forum and we dont all see things the same way. It shouldnt be an echo chamber for boo boys or happy clappers. When people post on a discussion forum they should expect to be challdnged.

The one thing i would say is that if people are sending you PMs that are trying to chase you off or threaten or upset you in any way, report it to the mods. That behaviour shouldnt be tollerated.

No one has threatened me - there's no worries on that score. Everyone is different in their views and in their delivery but personally I sometimes don't feel like responding to certain posters - not because of the fact we have different views on Kettlewell.

But because some posters post their opinions about the club and players as facts - and they are entitled to do that. But when you see posts writing off players before they've kicked a ball and saying Bair is useless - it's clear that some peoples dislike of Kettlewell has crossed over to anything he does is wrong. Not for a minute suggesting thats how all his critics feel.