2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

8 hours ago, wellfan said:

Miller will be sold soon enough, and I don't see any BIG enough offers coming in for Bair yet. Much like Miller's extension, we should be offering Bair a one-year extension to protect our asset in the hope that he continues to improve next season and doesn't leave for bugger all at the end of season 2024/25.

Exactly, we should be trying to set up our possible “target” players so that we can at least get some sort of money when they leave. Surely we can come to some sort of agreement with them regarding contract extensions versus offers from other teams?  Would love to keep Gent and Vale but not sure what that would take and wouldn’t be surprised if they already have good offers lined up for next season already or under discussion. 

McGinn has been one of our most consistent players so definitely should be kept.  Obika no way should be kept on and Butcher done us a great turn last season but shouldnt be offered a new deal.   I wouldn't mind SOD staying, has been much better this season and doesn't deserve the stick he gets from some

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

McGinn's form is in decline and although SOD has been better recently he's still got too many errors in him and is rotten on the ball. 

I would guess the two of them will be on decent money as well. As we have seen with Gent and Spencer there are younger and better players available.

When he came on at Dundee SOD did everything that Devine didn't.  Suddenly the midfield had an option moving forward out wide other than Gent and Dundee were  stretched all across the park. As a result Spittal started to contribute more, Bair had space to run into and Gent was not double marked. And Kettlewell deserves credit for making that change, despite the concern about SOD carrying an injury. His performances throughout the season have more than earned SOD another year.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, wellgirl said:

I think Butcher should be offered a new deal. Even if it's just a year 

Sorry but he is done.

Much as I love the fact we look after players who have long term injuries, we cant be wasting money on guys who can no longer be reliable even when fit.

Obika is in the same category.

• Like 1

I’d like to keep both McGinn (1year deal) and SOD (1or2year deal). Both have something to give but being 33 and 31 respectively there probably isn’t room for both of them unless their wage demands reflect their age leaving us enough to pay a younger guy who can play there and develop with their help until - hopefully - our academy player is able to step up. 
At their age I’d suspect both of them will be able to get one more decent contract either in the Scottish premiership or championship so both could be off and I’d say thanks for their time here and best luck to them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

McGinn has been one of our most consistent players so definitely should be kept.  Obika no way should be kept on and Butcher done us a great turn last season but shouldnt be offered a new deal.   I wouldn't mind SOD staying, has been much better this season and doesn't deserve the stick he gets from some

I agree with you pal. SOD has a very good communication with team as witnessed in the Dundee game when he came on, and carried out SK’s instructions.

• Thanks 1

Given our defence is leakier than Downing Street, I'll focus my comments on those players now.

• SOD will be 32 in May and should have a few years left in him, but probably not as a marauding RWB for much longer. He's local, so I'm sure he'd accept a new deal if offered, but it's anyone's guess what those terms would/should be.
  • McGinn will be 34 in October and probably has another season at least left at this level, so we may offer him a 1-year deal as he's versatile and reliable, and his experience will help the younger boys. However, I can see another SPL club offering him a 2-year contract with, likely, improved wages, which he would be wise to take. 
  • Bevis is a bit of an unknown. He's been here for what feels like a long time, and he's now an international captain, which is incredible for him. This new status will likely have his agent's ears pricked up, meaning he'll be getting touted for a higher wage to other clubs, although this could be something we accept and offer him a new deal anyway. 
  • Butcher appears to be finished at this level and shouldn't be offered a new deal. He's an Obika, unfortunately. 
  • Blaney is under contract, has found his way into the team lately, and may decide to see out his deal, but that all depends on what conversations Kettlewell has had with him. 
  • Casey. Let's hope he continues to improve and learn. His strengths and passion are there for all to see, as well as his weaknesses. He'll get a proper pre-season this year. 
  • Elliot. Does he exist? Why was he signed?
  • Gent's loan will end, and he's out of contract at Blackburn, meaning he's likely out of our price range, although I would love to sign him. He's been fantastic and seems to be flourishing. He can even play as an inside forward.
  • Monty is already back at Celtic, recovering from an injury, although we may see him come off the bench for us in May. Good luck to the lad, whatever happens, as his cameo was impressive. 
  • Devine. Back to Rangers. He would benefit from going out on loan to a lower league for a spell.
  • Wilson. He'll return to us from Beith, and his contract expires in May. I'm not sure what will happen next.
  • I've no clue about the other young lads and won't comment.
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Given our defence is leakier than Downing Street, I'll focus my comments on those players now.

• SOD will be 32 in May and should have a few years left in him, but probably not as a marauding RWB for much longer. He's local, so I'm sure he'd accept a new deal if offered, but it's anyone's guess what those terms would/should be.
  • McGinn will be 34 in October and probably has another season at least left at this level, so we may offer him a 1-year deal as he's versatile and reliable, and his experience will help the younger boys. However, I can see another SPL club offering him a 2-year contract with, likely, improved wages, which he would be wise to take. 
  • Bevis is a bit of an unknown. He's been here for what feels like a long time, and he's now an international captain, which is incredible for him. This new status will likely have his agent's ears pricked up, meaning he'll be getting touted for a higher wage to other clubs, although this could be something we accept and offer him a new deal anyway. 
  • Butcher appears to be finished at this level and shouldn't be offered a new deal. He's an Obika, unfortunately. 
  • Blaney is under contract, has found his way into the team lately, and may decide to see out his deal, but that all depends on what conversations Kettlewell has had with him. 
  • Casey. Let's hope he continues to improve and learn. His strengths and passion are there for all to see, as well as his weaknesses. He'll get a proper pre-season this year. 
  • Gent's loan will end, and he's out of contract at Blackburn, meaning he's likely out of our price range, although I would love to sign him. He's been fantastic and seems to be flourishing. He can even play as an inside forward.
  • Monty is already back at Celtic, recovering from an injury, although we may see him come off the bench for us in May. Good luck to the lad, whatever happens, as his cameo was impressive. 
  • Devine. Back to Rangers. He would benefit from going out on loan to a lower league for a spell.
  • Wilson. He'll return to us from Beith, and his contract expires in May. I'm not sure what will happen next.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

Whatever happens, there is plenty of scope for changes to our defence. 

First thing I would be doing is trying to identify a big commanding goalkeeper.

Hopefully SK can find the balance to the rest of the defence after that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

Devine. Back to Rangers. He would benefit from going out on loan to a lower league for a spell

He was previously on loan to Partick and latterly to Brechin in the Highland League where he only played 11 games. After that he went back to Rangers and played 4 games for their ‘B’ team before coming to us on loan.  No harm to the guy but having watched him since he arrived it’s hard to see him making his way in top level football.

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

From what I've read, Gent's contract appears to run till 2025. Completely agree, he's been great for us. If there's any realistic way of getting him back next season, we're surely looking at that, rather than spending money on one or two unknown quantities to replace him. He seems happy here and must realise he's well liked, which are good starting points, although a chance at Blackburn or bigger vultures swooping will obviously kill us.

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

From what I've read, Gent's contract appears to run till 2025. Completely agree, he's been great for us. If there's any realistic way of getting him back next season, we're surely looking at that, rather than spending money on one or two unknown quantities to replace him. He seems happy here and must realise he's well liked, which are good starting points, although a chance at Blackburn or bigger vultures swooping will obviously kill us.

For whatever reason, I thought he was out of contract, but it makes sense that he was sent to us after extending his deal. 

Hopefully with the new investment coming in to the club we can maybe afford 1 or 2 better players for next season. If we sell Miller this summer we should be looking for upwards of the Turnbull fee as he's a great prospect. 

The squad needs a fair bit of surgery in my opinion.

Only players I'd be desperate to keep are Bair, Miller and Vale made permanent. Spittal would be here but off to Hearts. Would be surprised if they didn't all receive far more appealing financial offers.

Definetley need a overhaul in Defence and Midfield who knows maybe Kettlewell will even change formation. Either way hopefully we get into the top 6 and manage to sneak into 5th for a wee European tour next season.

9 hours ago, mfc said:

It looks like young dylan wells will be signing a new deal with us rather than going to the english premiership.

The ink is not dried yet. However, if it comes to pass, it would be a good bit of business and a  boost to our Academy. Probably best for the lad's long term development too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfc said:

It looks like young dylan wells will be signing a new deal with us rather than going to the english premiership.

That would be great.  I know money talks but he would be best staying with us for a few years and getting game time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

That would be great.  I know money talks but he would be best staying with us for a few years and getting game time

Exactly,if wells or any other youngster are good enough then the big move will eventually come,they will be much better off staying where they are and getting some real game time under the belt before moving on.

Better to stay, get games under your belt and move on as an Alan Campbell, David Turnbull or (whisper it) Chris Cadden, than a Jake Hastie or Bailey Rice........

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Better to stay, get games under your belt and move on as an Alan Campbell, David Turnbull or (whisper it) Chris Cadden, than a Jake Hastie or Bailey Rice........

Alan Martin, Reece McAlear.................

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Although preferably leaving for a transfer fee as well.

2 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Although preferably leaving for a transfer fee as well.

Of course!

You could add, not try and wind up our fans on your return to Fir Park having left for no transfer fee and bending international rules to ensure the development fee doesnt get paid!

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Of course!

You could add, not try and wind up our fans on your return to Fir Park having left for no transfer fee and bending international rules to ensure the development fee doesnt get paid!

It did get paid, though. Just took longer than usual because it was the first year MLS teams were in the scheme and their federation were trying to claim they were Tier 4 for the purposes of compensation pay outs. So it had to go through all the UEFA and FIFA bureaucracy until it was settled.

In the end, when Cadden signed for Hibs, the fee had to be paid before he got his clearance.

'Flow talked about this on a couple of occasions including confirming that it was paid.

Also, anybody who gives a footballer any credit for the brains to come up with a scheme like that hasn't met many footballers.