2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

1 hour ago, TheoBair14 said:

Does anyone know if Liam Kelly is signing a new deal or are we letting him go at end of season? 

I reckon he will end up at St Mirren or Killie , both first choice keepers are loans.

• Like 1

Just now, well_said said:

I reckon he will end up at St Mirren or Killie , both first choice keepers are loans.

I don't know tbh. He might go back down south. If the rumours are true about the wages he's on with us do you see St Mirren in particular matching them? 

5 minutes ago, well_said said:

I can't see either team wanting him. If he doesn't stay I don't know where he'll end up. Back up somewhere?

50 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

The chat I've heard is he's happy to stay and has a deal essentially agreed but not until he knows we're staying in the Premiership.

Let's hope he (finally) scores the goal required to secure our safety. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

The chat I've heard is he's happy to stay and has a deal essentially agreed but not until he knows we're staying in the Premiership.

Even McGinn knows the team are dog shit.

I think they are the worst bunch of players we have had in a long time but there's still zero chance they are getting relegated now.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

Even McGinn knows the team are dog shit.

I think they are the worst bunch of players we have had in a long time but there's still zero chance they are getting relegated now.

The thing is, you're in the investment thread talking about how the Well Society has been a success. If you think the team as it is is "dog shit" then you're not going to be any happier next season or the season after if we remain as a fan-owned club. 

Because we simply do not have the money to increase spending on players I don't think. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David said:

The thing is, you're in the investment thread talking about how the Well Society has been a success. If you think the team as it is is "dog shit" then you're not going to be any happier next season or the season after if we remain as a fan-owned club. 

Because we simply do not have the money to increase spending on players I don't think. 

I don't think the budget is the problem. This season we had Lamie, McGinley, Maguire, Tierney, Butcher, Obika, Wilkinson, Shaw, Elliot, Souare, Mahon and Halliday contributing basically nothing. Our top earning players like Kelly, O'Donnell and McGinn kept two clean sheets all season. Slattery is another top earner who contributed nothing after the first international break. Nicholson is unfit and other than a flurry against Livi away added nothing.  

Spittal will be away and it looks like Mugabi as well. 

Tierney is the only one of those players under contract for next season. We probably have the biggest scope for a squad overhaul we've ever had this summer. If as rumoured we are going to sign Halliday despite the overwhelming evidence that his legs are gone then it's a bad omen that Kettlewell hasn't learned his lesson from Obika. 

The budget available isn't in question for next season but we need the manager to prove he can bring in permanent signings who can play 30-40 games at a consistent level. Bair and Davor are the only two proper signings he's made who have had a positive impact and even then they are nowhere near consistent as well being technically limited. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

I don't think the budget is the problem. This season we had Lamie, McGinley, Maguire, Tierney, Butcher, Obika, Wilkinson, Shaw, Elliot, Souare, Mahon and Halliday contributing basically nothing. Our top earning players like Kelly, O'Donnell and McGinn kept two clean sheets all season. Slattery is another top earner who contributed nothing after the first international break. Nicholson is unfit and other than a flurry against Livi away added nothing.  

Tierney is the only one of those players under contract for next season. We probably have the biggest scope for a squad overhaul we've ever had this summer. If as rumoured we are going to sign Halliday despite the overwhelming evidence that his legs are gone then it's a bad omen that Kettlewell hasn't learned his lesson from Obika. 

The budget available isn't in question for next season but we need the manager to prove he can bring in permanent signings who can play 30-40 games at a consistent level. Bair and Davor are the only two proper signings he's made who have had a positive impact and even then they are nowhere near consistent as well being technically limited. 

I agree with most of that. Not convinced by Davor though, but thats balanced by Paton, who has done a job.  To be fair, he's brought in some decent loan signings: Vale, Gent, Spencer, and Biereth, although he got his fingers burnt with the latter two.

Halliday? I just don't know,. I wasn't as concerned as many when he first signed but he hasn't really worked out.  Now is that down to lack of fitness or his legs going? Maybe  a bit of both. I just hope SK knows. Midfield is an area we definitely need to strengthen  for next season.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree with most of that. Not convinced by Davor though, but thats balanced by Paton, who has done a job.  To be fair, he's brought in some decent loan signings: Vale, Gent, Spencer, and Biereth, although he got his fingers burnt with the latter two.

Halliday? I just don't know,. I wasn't as concerned as many when he first signed but he hasn't really worked out.  Now is that down to lack of fitness or his legs going? Maybe  a bit of both. I just hope SK knows. Midfield is an area we definitely need to strengthen  for next season.

Leaving out those successful loan signings that have played for large parts of the season suits the Steelboy agenda.
Those players still had to be sourced and recruited even though they are not permanent signings.
There is a lot of duff at the club as there is across the whole of the SPL.

If Steelboy is saying operating with quality not quantity then it is definitely the right way to go.  20 man squad with the youngsters being chucked in when the inevitable injuries come in.

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

The budget available isn't in question for next season but we need the manager to prove he can bring in permanent signings who can play 30-40 games at a consistent level. 

If he brings in players who play at a consistent level, you're not going to like the level. Look around the league, even the top 2 can't buy consistently good players. Bair has (to this point) outscored last season's top marksman, who cost Celtic £4.5million. 

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

If he brings in players who play at a consistent level, you're not going to like the level. Look around the league, even the top 2 can't buy consistently good players.

It was only 12 months ago that we had a team performing consistently with 9/10 outfield players at a good level plus a donkey target man. 

If you look at the team on Saturday you could generously say 5 reach that standard. Maintaining the standards that we have set recently isn't an impossible task. 

I understand why the club want to decieve the fans about how much money they spend and why Kettlewell lies and says making top 6 is punching well above our weight but I don't understand at all why supporters want to lower the bar so much. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It was only 12 months ago that we had a team performing consistently with 9/10 outfield players at a good level plus a donkey target man. 

If you look at the team on Saturday you could generously say 5 reach that standard. Maintaining the standards that we have set recently isn't an impossible task. 

I understand why the club want to decieve the fans about how much money they spend and why Kettlewell lies and says making top 6 is punching well above our weight but I don't understand at all why supporters want to lower the bar so much. 

Could you tell me which good level players you're referring to, leaving aside Van Veen, Johnston and the guys who are still here?

8 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Could you tell me which good level players you're referring to, leaving aside Van Veen, Johnston and the guys who are still here?

Goss, Cornelius, Furlong and Butcher before he got injured. 

We finished 7th last year and are currently 8th - it's fine margins clearly. As for the comment re punching well above our weight - I've not found it yet but there's a lot of interviews to watch. He was genuinely gutted at not making it in the post match interview that goes on the club feed. 

Personally - I'd love top 6 every year but it's a tight league and if we had a complete disaster of a season and then ended up tenth - I'd take that as well. Sometimes survival has to be the thing that matters most 

12 hours ago, David said:

After i've spent a few years posting on here, you get to know folks who are posting for a reaction, nothing makes them happy 

Furlong and Butcher were decent for a period of a few months, that's all. Butcher's been out injured or poor all season, now he just looks done. 

Goss and Cornelius were part of a squad that got 2 managers sacked and was dropping like a stone towards the Championship. The team only started performing consitently - in a positive sense - after Kettlewell arrived.

7 hours ago, steelboy said:

Lamie went out on loan three weeks after the season started. Tierney is also on loan. McGinley was also recovering from a serious injury and made two starts afterwards. I don't know how you can say a player that went out on loan contributed nothing - of course he was going to contribute nothing playing for another club. 

13 hours ago, David said:

100 percent correct David our player attracting pool is getting smaller and smaller by the year this is why when we give the Obikas and Butchers another year we can't moan cause that's where we are in the current model.

8 hours ago, steelboy said:

And how does any manager know when he signs a player that they are going to be able to play consistently for 30-40 games? I believe Halliday was signed for another year when we got him on loan - it was in the press as far back as January that when his loan deal ended he'd be signing on for another year. 

I think this is one of the worst squads I can remember - each season the quality ebs down to a new low.  I don't think this is specific to just us but blooming heck it's been grim. 

The best thing about is is we're all together, working for one another - there's very little quality on show.

I'm not comparing to last season but more pre/post Dawes.  He may or may not be the issue. 

As I see it majority of perm signings are poor, not enough youngsters coming through, loan signings become more and more important. 

Stop signing so many journeymen from lower regions of England. Get more young blood coming through the ranks, by reducing overall squad go out and get some quality . 

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Goss, where is he,???. Cornelius, aye right, furlong, add Gent, well better, Butcher, slow last season, slower than normal this, if you can't make an argument, stop posting!!!!!.