389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

By all accounts Calderwood has changed his mind and is now desperate to get back into football. He would take the job in a jiffy however he wasn't prepared to apply and be interviewed, he wanted to be offered the position.

To be fair to Calderwood you can't blame him for that considering most of the candidates that have been mentioned have done next to nothing in the game while Calderwood's record is there for all to see.

I don't particularly like him as a character but I'd be fairly confident he could do as good a job as anyone else were are likely to attract and a much better job than most of the candidates that have been mentioned.

Think he would do a good job as well but if he is not prepared to be interviewed then he can fuck off right now. The interview process allows JB to question and challenge anyone that may be interested and also set out the constraints for the role and whilst looking a candidate in the eye - be convinced that he can do the job.

Calderwood may have a semi-decent record (and no more) but he is no Mourinho and if he doesnt want to apply then JB should show no interest.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By all accounts Calderwood has changed his mind and is now desperate to get back into football. He would take the job in a jiffy however he wasn't prepared to apply and be interviewed, he wanted to be offered the position.

To be fair to Calderwood you can't blame him for that considering most of the candidates that have been mentioned have done next to nothing in the game while Calderwood's record is there for all to see.

I don't particularly like him as a character but I'd be fairly confident he could do as good a job as anyone else were are likely to attract and a much better job than most of the candidates that have been mentioned.

Must have missed the part where he done anything in the game other than play with his balls. Or is the record your talking about some obscure Christmas No.1 in tangoland years ago?

Looks like Ricky ain't out of it yet, according to the Sunday Mail.

Sunday Mail

Ricky Sbragia would be a great choice as the new Motherwell boss, says pal Jimmy Calderwood

Dec 26 2010 Gavin Berry, Sunday Mail

JIMMY CALDERWOOD reckons quiet man Ricky Sbragia can be a big noise in the SPL at Motherwell.

The former Aberdeen gaffer knows Sbragia better than anyone in Scotland after going to the same school as the Sunderland scout and playing with him at Birmingham City.

Caldo's adamant Sbragia would bring fresh ideas to our game if he lands the Fir Park job, with the former Manchester United and Bolton coach set for a second interview with Well.

The 54-year-old Scot had a brief spell as a manager when he kept Sunderland in the Premiership in 2009 but his career has been spent mainly as a coach.

However, Calderwood believes Sbragia would love a return to the top role and said: "Craig Brown and Archie Knox are a difficult act to follow at Fir Park but Ricky would bring some fresh ideas.

"Scottish football would be new to him and a bit of a culture shock but I think he's seen enough games to know what he's getting into.

"He was always very quiet but you don't get to where he is without being demanding. I don't think he could be as wild as I can be, I'm not sure. He was always in the background but he's a good lad.

"Ricky was always very thorough in what he did but he would have a laugh at the right times.

"Maybe just not as wild as the likes of Kenny Burns - and more Colin Calderwood than Jimmy Calderwood!

"I think being a boss is his next step. He's gone through all the youth set-up, he's been assistant manager and was a boss for a wee while where he did a wonderful job.

"But eventually you have that hunger to go and be your own man and set out your own ideas. He's a player's manager. He's great with people. He's very quiet and well spoken but a gentleman.

"Ricky's coached a lot of good players. He's done a wonderful job at Sunderland.

"He did well during his spell in charge of the first team but they were looking for a name.

"I don't know if that's right or not but I know it wasn't an easy time for him with Roy Keane in charge - I'm not sure that clicked too well. If he gets the job good luck to him, I'm sure he'll do well."

Calderwood recalled their early days together when he used to run Sbragia to training at Birmingham - and now it's the Mackems' chief scout who could be Well's driving force.

He said: "We went to the same school in Castlemilk. Ricky was a year younger than me and then we played with Glasgow Amateurs. I went down to Birmingham the year before him as they used us as a feeder club at that time.

"There were loads of Scots going down. Kenny Burns played there the year before me. We would travel down in the March and play against the players coming in from England.

"Birmingham were great which is why I chose them because I could have gone to Tottenham or Manchester City but they both had youth teams whereas Birmingham only had first-team reserves.

"I'd seen Trevor Francis and Burnsy getting a chance as teenagers and thought I'd have a better opportunity of getting into the first team. Ricky stayed next door to me in digs so we travelled in together when I got my driving licence.

"We kind of lost touch with each other when I moved to Holland and it wasn't until I got back that we were in contact again.

"About two years ago I met him because we'd been in contact about different players.

"I was at Sunderland at a reserve match when he was in charge of the first team. He was brilliant - it was just like old times."

So after that shambles today and the fact that if the papers are reporting it correctly, we are now down to a shortlist of McCall or Sutton - or even Hartson FFS!!!

Could people look at the bigger picture and consider the option of at least putting McGhee back in charge til the end of the season and give JB time to consider bigger and better options?

Next few weeks could either see us still challenging for Europe or more likely dropping out the top six and seeing the sheep catch us up!!

Sensible and cohesive thoughts please......

I don't think there are bigger and better options than those available.

Having heard Derek Weir today I can't argue with the criteria that the board are setting. I hope there is someone on the shortlist who we haven't mentioned but if it is McCall or Sutton then so be it. How do we know how good they will be ? They might provide us with some gems because they both have contacts in the English game and both know the SPL well. They wouldn't be my first choices but hey we are Motherwell and we're skint so we are never going to get the perfect candidate that 100% of the fans want if there even is such a thing.

Having heard Derek Weir today I can't argue with the criteria that the board are setting. I hope there is someone on the shortlist who we haven't mentioned but if it is McCall or Sutton then so be it. How do we know how good they will be ? They might provide us with some gems because they both have contacts in the English game and both know the SPL well. They wouldn't be my first choices but hey we are Motherwell and we're skint so we are never going to get the perfect candidate that 100% of the fans want if there even is such a thing.

Agree 100% with you on that mate.

Agree 100%!

All we do is guess work! Of course everyone wants someone he likes, but even if we'd get Benitez, Mourinho or whoever, neither def bring success.

I personally would be ok with Sutton. He has got not much XP, but he needs to gain it somewhere. Apart from that I would hope he still has some connections down south.

Ok, Hartson is not my prefered option. Hats off for what he has been through, but thats al respect he gets from me!

I'm right here Jim, nothing ive said has been shown to be incorrect.

I was going to have a go at you about the same thing Bop but realised the same, that nothing you have said has been incorrect as yet. I just hope that what you did say proves to be correct, whether due to chance or having your ear to the ground.

On the manager front, today was the first time I thought I would take a safe pair of hands in the form of a Calderwood etc. Those players were lost at sea today. Anybody who thinks Craigan would have been the man for the managers job, his influence (or lack of ) over these last few games shows that he is (not yet anyway) management material.

The Club are going to have to get this one right. With Aberdeen on the up and t Mirren showing some signs of steading their ship, this season could still go badly wrong.

I've no idea what's happening on the managerial front or who is on the shortlist but I think we need somebody that will get the enthusiasm of the fans back. I know a lot of people who are being a bit more selective with the games they attend and after todays performance I'm sure there will be a lot more thinking along the same lines. I really can't see McCall, Sutton or any of the other names mentioned in the press bringing them back.

Thing that struck me today is that although some of us moaned about the alleged state of the club the previous guy left us in I figure we are in a far worse state this time round / at this point in time.

The current 1st XI need rubbed oot and drawn back in again.

Our young guys and fringe players have had next to zero game time under Broon and continues under Young.

We haven't sold a player since Clarky & Quinn

We don't really look like we're about to sell a player

We have zero compensation from our management team this time round

So squad wise / new talent wise & financially - we are a fair bit less appealling than we were this time last year

Thing that struck me today is that although some of us moaned about the alleged state of the club the previous guy left us in I figure we are in a far worse state this time round / at this point in time.

Yes, I'd agree with that. He also left us with some short term signings whose contracts are about to expire.

The current 1st XI need rubbed oot and drawn back in again.

Our young guys and fringe players have had next to zero game time under Broon and continues under Young.

We haven't sold a player since Clarky & Quinn

We don't really look like we're about to sell a player

We have zero compensation from our management team this time round

So squad wise / new talent wise & financially - we are a fair bit less appealling than we were this time last year

809771_b5e8_625x1000.jpg

Hammer. Nail. Head.

Ex-Blackburn No2 Neil McDonald linked with vacant Motherwell hotseat

Dec 27 2010 Keith Jackson

MOTHERWELL could make a shock managerial announcement in the next 24 hours after Neil McDonald sneaked in under the radar to watch yesterday's defeat by Rangers.

Record Sport understands McDonald who was Sam Allardyce's right-hand man at Bolton and Blackburn is in pole position to land the job which was vacated when Craig Brown and Archie Knox headed north to take on the task of keeping Aberdeen in the top flight.

And the appointment could be rushed through in time for the Englishman to take charge for the first time at Celtic Park on Wednesday.

Well chiefs are desperate to name their new man following a dismal performance from their team in a 4-1 Boxing Day battering.

McDonald looks set to get the nod ahead of more high-profile contenders, including former Celtic strikers John Hartson and Chris Sutton as well ex-Ranger Stuart McCall.

It's understood McDonald's vast web of contacts within the game down south has given him the edge as Well believe he can use his connections to lure more young talent to the club.

McDonald was a journeyman as a player, with st ints at Newcast le, Everton, Oldham and Bolton - the highlight of which was his appearance in the classic Liverpool derby FA Cup Final of 1989.

He cut his teeth as a coach at Preston under current Everton boss Davie Moyes before teaming with up with Allardyce at the Reebok in 2000.

Five years later he quit his post as first-team coach to become assistant to Ian Dowie at Crystal Palace.

In 2006 he became his own man for the first time when he took up the job as manager at Carlisle.

But despite leading the club to its highest league placing in 20 years, McDonald was sacked in mysterious circumstances the following summer.

A statement on the club's website read: "The board of Carlisle regret to say that they have lost confidence in Neil McDonald and are terminating his contract forthwith."

McDonald then headed to Sweden to help Ostersunds stave off relegation before assistant manager stints at Lincoln and Leeds, where he worked under Gary McAllister.

He was reunited with Allardyce at Blackburn in December 2008 but the pair were axed controversially by the club's new Indian owners.

Well vice-chairman Derek Weir revealed they are convinced the new gaffer will be in place by Wednesday.

He said: "If everything works out well, we'll have someone in place for the next game.

"We want someone well known in the lower leagues of England because that has worked well for us in terms of finding players we can afford."