Scottish Fitba

Bop

Drastic times perhaps mean drastic actions. Setup a league structure without the old firm! With their greed and bigotry, they've destroyed the game in Scotland. This is perhaps the motion the fans of teams outwith the old firm should push for.

1st Division clubs survive and seem to serve up a reasonable level of football, without the additional monies from sky and espn. Our clubs need to stop playing keeping up with the English. Never going to happen. Accept we are small fry, cut our cloth accordingly, intrust the youths, and start again.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree. Get the bigot brothers out. OK so we lose out on some TV money, but what I reckon we get in return is a more competative league where at least 8 teams could win it. Fans coming back because of the reason above. Then perhaps let the squirm back in on our terms not theirs.

Just caught a bit on Real Radio that Motherwell have now distanced themselves/raised concerns about the 10 team proposal.

Never heard much else about it other than that.

They're reading the club statement on the website as a distancing.

Kinda helps knit a non story about a non story I suppose

The whole set up just stinks!! i congratulate the reps from Dundee Utd and Killie for standing up and coming up with a better more radicle solution to the durge that is Scottish Football at the moment.

Ive watched Motherwell for 30 yrs and have never been so bored by the game and the people in charge, this includes the people in charge of our own club!!

Football and more importantly football fans have changed, i have a 6 yr old who plays and likes playing football but trying to get him to fir park is a total chore, he says its too cold and miserable!! as do the majority of weans (our future fans) feel!! Maybe kids are not as hardy as they have been in the past and are too used to being pampered but this is the way of things!!

We are crying out for summer football, seasons from March to November, and for the years there are World Cups/ Euros, start a few weeks earlier and end a few weeks later!! If anything if we do qualify as a nation the players will be half way through the season, sharp and not jaded at the end of an arduous season!!

Sky i'm sure would be back in the equasion as they would have around 4 months of football free telly as the english season would close, crowds would go up, kids would attend in their strips, i can only see positives from summer football!!

Ditch the 2 leagues of 10 idea, a greedy idea for the bigger clubs, 16 team league in summer where young players can come through will work !!

my 30 yrs of supporting may be gone due to my apathy along with many others i know who support many other clubs!!

Drastic times perhaps mean drastic actions. Setup a league structure without the old firm! With their greed and bigotry, they've destroyed the game in Scotland. This is perhaps the motion the fans of teams outwith the old firm should push for.

1st Division clubs survive and seem to serve up a reasonable level of football, without the additional monies from sky and espn. Our clubs need to stop playing keeping up with the English. Never going to happen. Accept we are small fry, cut our cloth accordingly, intrust the youths, and start again.

Agree with that 100%

That was part of it. The other part, of course, was financial. When teams started to keep their gate receipts (rather than split them 50/50) playing the OF at home 4 times a year was a big deal (or at least, became much more important).

It was also in response to Celtic's annexation of the league title, it was felt the league had become too predictable. The top 10 was based on a format that the Bundesliga had originated, but never actually adopted. They had more sense.

Just read Mr Weirs statement, which all seems a little reactive and a little too late and once again misses the point!! Maybe the line:

"What we do have to bear in mind is the importance of the funds we receive from TV deals"

should have been replaced by:

"What we do have to bear in mind is the importance of the funds we receive from the fans"....

Such short term thinking as opposed to radical change that may result in a product that actually tempts fans back to Fir Park :drinks:

The whole set up just stinks!! i congratulate the reps from Dundee Utd and Killie for standing up and coming up with a better more radicle solution to the durge that is Scottish Football at the moment.

Ive watched Motherwell for 30 yrs and have never been so bored by the game and the people in charge, this includes the people in charge of our own club!!

Football and more importantly football fans have changed, i have a 6 yr old who plays and likes playing football but trying to get him to fir park is a total chore, he says its too cold and miserable!! as do the majority of weans (our future fans) feel!! Maybe kids are not as hardy as they have been in the past and are too used to being pampered but this is the way of things!!

We are crying out for summer football, seasons from March to November, and for the years there are World Cups/ Euros, start a few weeks earlier and end a few weeks later!! If anything if we do qualify as a nation the players will be half way through the season, sharp and not jaded at the end of an arduous season!!

Sky i'm sure would be back in the equasion as they would have around 4 months of football free telly as the english season would close, crowds would go up, kids would attend in their strips, i can only see positives from summer football!!

Ditch the 2 leagues of 10 idea, a greedy idea for the bigger clubs, 16 team league in summer where young players can come through will work !!

my 30 yrs of supporting may be gone due to my apathy along with many others i know who support many other clubs!!

+1.

SPL rebel clubs have been warned they will be face the anger of the clubs in favour of a 10-team top league when they reconvene on 17 January.

Hamilton chairman Ronnie MacDonald has accused them of not providing a workable alternative. (The Sun)

Who said chairmen are shortsighted?

So the chairman of the team most likely to go down is in favour of the set up that will give him more money when the inevitable happens. And complains that teams that were, in the main, not on the working committee don't have an alternative proposal.

Well for one - they weren't on a working committee charged with looking at providing working options, for two they shouldn't just accept any old shite - if it is in fact SHIITE.

I hope they go under - fallacy of a football club

Bring back Airdrie

Who said chairmen are shortsighted?

So the chairman of the team most likely to go down is in favour of the set up that will give him more money when the inevitable happens. And complains that teams that were, in the main, not on the working committee don't have an alternative proposal.

Well for one - they weren't on a working committee charged with looking at providing working options, for two they shouldn't just accept any old shite - if it is in fact SHIITE.

I hope they go under - fallacy of a football club

Bring back Airdrie

Congrats steve! you have just figured out how to make the SPL worse than the top 10 team division! :thumbup:

On this element alone I see that Blatter seems to be confident the World Cup in Qatar will take place in January rather than the usual June/July set up.

The hope ofcourse is that Scotland will be there and as such the SPL will have enough players away that a shutdown would be required anyway (there could already be a winter break in place by then ofcourse).

But if itsn't already up for discussion surely this gives an ideal opportunity to at least trial the March - November set up for even 1 or 2 seasons around this particular tournament?

Airdrie games are usually eventful at least (inside and outside the ground) - unlike the pansies from the south

I bet Airdrie have more fans as well! they defo have a better stadium

That place is a shithole, how Hamilton are allowed to stay in the SPL with the farce of a stadium that is i dont understand.

But again this is the SPL oh well everythings up for a laugh here

I bet Airdrie have more fans as well! they defo have a better stadium

That place is a shithole, how Hamilton are allowed to stay in the SPL with the farce of a stadium that is i dont understand.

But again this is the SPL oh well everythings up for a laugh here

Given where they were throughout my childhood, Accies deserve credit for what they have achieved in recent years. They showed some long term vision and commited to developing their youth and have since reaped the rewards both on and off the pitch. Just a shame they lost so many fans by having to move out the town for years.

I agree with some of the earlier stuff, get rid of the old firm, vote the wankers out. Start from scratch with a new league format that suits everyone. Advertisers and sponsors will always need the platform and exposure that football in Scotland provides, with or without the Glasgow gits and tv will always provide that. Reduce the wage bills for players. No matter what clubs might end up paying them it is still a more attractive option for most young players early in their careers, especially the way things are going with the economy. We can't hold onto players these days regardless of what we pay them. Think again about gate prices. Clubs could integrate themselves more with the local community because more than ever they need them.

I don't think all this would be easy but I would love to give it a go and give the old firm a fright. For too long that pair have moaned their tits off about our football and done zero to help it along while blaming everything and everyone in Scottish football.

I'm sure there is a place for them, maybe we should decide where it is.

Dunno if I have articulated myself the way I wanted but that's the best I could manage.