Jump to content

David

2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

I liked Hylton. Inconsistent, but what winger isn't? Good luck to him!

Cole I'm glad to have back but I do agree with other areas of the park needing strengthened also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Last season Cole was our best option through the middle when we were playing 4-3-3.  

However does being our best option warrant him being brought back?  Also are we even going to play 4-3-3?

And with all due respect Cole had 6 goals in his last 47 league appearances going back to 2018 which hardly represents a big improvement in goal scoring over our other strikers who don't often score.

You kind of get the impression in that bringing back Hastie, Long and Cole that we are out of new ideas.

 

I think our biggest miss from last season is James Scott. Although he was a bit up and down (as you'd expect from a youngster) his ability to play out wide, but with a strikers ability, has been hard to replace.  It seemed that Cole was brought in to do that job as he typically started out wide. Not sure if that is his best position, but he did improve as the season wore on.

My first thought when I heard of his signing this time was also "4-3-3" otherwise you'd have to think we are either ditching another striker or someone has an injury we don't know about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think we'll see a return to 4-3-3 with Lang-Watt-Cole.

 

As long as White and Seedorf are nowhere near the starting XI then I'm okay with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange signing - I don't believe we needed any more strikers.   A lack of getting the ball to the striker for clear opportunity has been the issue.

Hope it works out. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Strange signing - I don't believe we needed any more strikers.   A lack of getting the ball to the striker for clear opportunity has been the issue.

Hope it works out. 

I just don't get this signing either,strange was my first thought too.who knows what the plan is for our forward line for the rest of the season,it just seems all rather messy.robinson has to get it right or we will be in for a struggle all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Campbell goes we will have no midfield so it will be five at the back and five up front, the squad is starting to make sense.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Strange signing - I don't believe we needed any more strikers.   A lack of getting the ball to the striker for clear opportunity has been the issue.

Hope it works out. 

We dont need another striker if you rate the ones we've got and for me the Jurys out on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I look at it is we’re replacing one player with a better one so that can’t be a bad thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ropy said:

When Campbell goes we will have no midfield so it will be five at the back and five up front, the squad is starting to make sense.

We have been missing out the midfield in games since last Christmas,  punting the ball upfield, so  playing 5-0-5 is natural to us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

We dont need another striker if you rate the ones we've got and for me the Jurys out on them.

The jury is still out on the strikers for me as well, although 5 does seem a disproportionate amount for a squad of our size. The reason though that I'm still undecided on them is that the quality and quantity of service given to them by the midfield has been poor. If we can sort out midfield ie Polworth regaining form and perhaps  field a decent winger or two, then that will be the time to judge our strikers. What I would say though is that our current  crop of strikers are unsuited to a long ball game or in modern parlance, thunderdome football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

 or in modern parlance, thunderdome football.

Was the thunderdome not 1980s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday’s Herald was touting Campbell to Celtic and no doubt Turnbull would have sung his praises. Don’t be surprised if Lawwell stumps up a paltry amount plus ginger bottles to lure him away.

I understand there will be bad news for us come Monday. Hopefully it will be a move South but it does give me the fear as the midfield to forward link is as dire as the defence at present.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Yesterday’s Herald was touting Campbell to Celtic and no doubt Turnbull would have sung his praises. Don’t be surprised if Lawwell stumps up a paltry amount plus ginger bottles to lure him away.

I understand there will be bad news for us come Monday. Hopefully it will be a move South but it does give me the fear as the midfield to forward link is as dire as the defence at present.

Wouldnt surprise me. Ive had a few Sellik fans at work asking me about him. Apparently theres the odd rumour they are looking at him as Broonys replacement cause they see him as a Hibs era Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shaka said:

Wouldnt surprise me. Ive had a few Sellik fans at work asking me about him. Apparently theres the odd rumour they are looking at him as Broonys replacement cause they see him as a Hibs era Brown

Would have been interesting to see if Campbell would have played last night. Usually indicates staying or leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too one paced and a bit small for Selic. Hope he goes south or stays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its actually a scary thought Campbell leaving us in the next couple of days outwith Carson and Watt he is the only player that looks like they are giving a hoot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

The jury is still out on the strikers for me as well, although 5 does seem a disproportionate amount for a squad of our size. The reason though that I'm still undecided on them is that the quality and quantity of service given to them by the midfield has been poor. If we can sort out midfield ie Polworth regaining form and perhaps  field a decent winger or two, then that will be the time to judge our strikers. What I would say though is that our current  crop of strikers are unsuited to a long ball game or in modern parlance, thunderdome football.

I would agree, we’ve certainly seen that Long can be effective give given the right service but this season it’s left a lot to be desired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Shaka said:

Wouldnt surprise me. Ive had a few Sellik fans at work asking me about him. Apparently theres the odd rumour they are looking at him as Broonys replacement cause they see him as a Hibs era Brown

Campbell could easily play the Brown role for Celtic. I dont know why we never employed him like that. He is perfect for it and any perceived lack of pace would be less of an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Campbell does indeed go on Monday without a QUALITY couple of signings arriving at the same time, we are in deep, deep shit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kmac said:

If Campbell does indeed go on Monday without a QUALITY couple of signings arriving at the same time, we are in deep, deep shit

I really hope we have some contingencies in place if campbell was to leave,i would like to see us sign a midfielder that's comfortable on the ball and that can make us play from the middle of the park and that's before any thoughts on wee alan leaving,a winger would be nice to but i suspect if we go back to the 3 up front then cole will play left side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Kmac said:

If Campbell does indeed go on Monday without a QUALITY couple of signings arriving at the same time, we are in deep, deep shit

We wont make any quality signings it's not the model. We'll take another 2 or 3 punts and if it doesnt work we look to  drag ourselves through the season to 10th and then roll the dice again and hope some of the boys on loan come back ready to be the next Cadden, Campbell, Scott or Turnbull. Rinse and repeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Campbell could leave, we could sign nobody, and we still wouldn't get relegated. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Campbell could leave, we could sign nobody, and we still wouldn't get relegated. 

League Reconstruction :mosking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×