Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

15 hours ago, Clackscat said:

Trouble is once you have a succesful set up (as in fairness we had), the opposition look for ways to nullify so you need a Plan B, and SK hasn't been able to find one

I think thats the explanation for our extreme reversal in form. Of late, SK has been trying out increasingly bizarre tactics and line ups to find an elusive Plan B.  A large part of the problem is that whatever plan he comes up with has to suit the players he has at his disposal. 

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A large part of the problem is that whatever plan he comes up with has to suit the players he has at his disposal. 

And due to the nature of his signings and the players released/sold/loaned out, Kettlewell was only ever going to be able to set up one way. This is why we are where we are now. It's an extremely limited squad that can play in a particular way, albeit very well a while ago, but things have now gone to shit and they can't adapt. Kettlewell is also clearly limited by both his inexperience and due to the budget he was previously allowed. It's a recipe for disaster, but I'm sure he knew that back then and is now living it, and I don't see how he or the players can arrest this slump. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Kettlewell has 3 massive games in December or same fate could follow 

We do have some massive games coming up in december grizzly,if we lose to dundee though that should be the end for kettlewell.we were shocking for the most part against county after the last international break so I'm not holding my breath that we will see the reaction that's required.kettlewell will ultimately carry the can but it's a two way thing,the players need to start bucking there ideas up and fast.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

According to the super computer we are heading for mid table mediocrity and an 8th place finish this season, so no need for panic apparently 🙄 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/super-computer-pinpoints-exact-celtic-31437050

I think they had Dundee Utd for Europe last year ..😂😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

To be fair Malky was a few Partick Thistle missed sitters away from getting them relegated last season so it's not the same situation as Kettlewell. 

Right now it looks like he'll be here for the Dundee game so it has to be win or bust. 

you might need to practice your " sacked in the morning " chant steelboy :thankyou:

7 hours ago, wellfan said:

And due to the nature of his signings and the players released/sold/loaned out, Kettlewell was only ever going to be able to set up one way. This is why we are where we are now. It's an extremely limited squad that can play in a particular way, albeit very well a while ago, but things have now gone to shit and they can't adapt. Kettlewell is also clearly limited by both his inexperience and due to the budget he was previously allowed. It's a recipe for disaster, but I'm sure he knew that back then and is now living it, and I don't see how he or the players can arrest this slump. 

Good post and gets right to the nub of the matter. Due to our financial limitations we are unable to sign better quality players or pay more attractive wages than most of our peer clubs.

This means it’s difficult to attract a better quality of manager than those we’ve had as the better ones have probably baulked at the lack of finances available to them.

Also, the quality of player we have and have been bringing in for a number of seasons now (with a few exceptions) is as good as we can afford and as we’re starting to see, the quality is now pretty poor.

I’m afraid I can’t see this situation improving in either the short or long term and we may well need to prepare ourselves for lower league football.

• Like 2

Rumours of County going for Neil Lennon. That would be bad news for us as he would get them fired right up, in the short term at least.

It would also be pretty sickening if this happened because again this is the type of appointment we just would not or could not make. Yet a club who are arguably smaller than us could make it.

8 minutes ago, MJC said:

Rumours of County going for Neil Lennon. That would be bad news for us as he would get them fired right up, in the short term at least.

It would also be pretty sickening if this happened because again this is the type of appointment we just would not or could not make. Yet a club who are arguably smaller than us could make it.

Seriously man, you need to have a fucking word with yourself.

Lennon turned an all conquering Celtic team to also rans against a very poor Rangers side and has been sacked from all his other jobs for being a)shite at managing or b) a knob.

Why the fuck would you want that tool as a manager at a tem with a seriously limited player budget. he couldn't fire Celtic up to win ten in a row, as if that needed 'firing up'.

You're deluded in the extreme.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Seriously man, you need to have a fucking word with yourself.

Lennon turned an all conquering Celtic team to also rans against a very poor Rangers side and has been sacked from all his other jobs for being a)shite at managing or b) a knob.

Why the fuck would you want that tool as a manager at a tem with a seriously limited player budget. he couldn't fire Celtic up to win ten in a row, as if that needed 'firing up'.

You're deluded in the extreme.

While I’m not disputing anything you have said there, Neil Lennon does have a track record of starting well at clubs and injecting a spark/kicking them up the arse before it starts to fall apart further down the line when he gets disillusioned and results start going against him. His managerial career has seen basically that same pattern play out at every club he’s been in charge at. My worry there would be that he would get Ross County fired up enough just enough to avoid relegation this season, potentially at our expense.

9 hours ago, wellfan said:

Maybe smaller in stature and history, but Roy MacGregor is minted, and we are far from that. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/23322089.ross-county-chairman-sells-energy-firm-us-private-equity-player/

Spot on. His personal worth was estimated at over £100 million and he’s been bank-rolling Ross County for a long number of years now.  Alas, we have no access to anyone of that ilk.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Rumours of County going for Neil Lennon.

because again this is the type of appointment we just would not or could not make.

Very true, because Lennon is an obnoxious wee ginger prick who would start an argument in an empty house, a shite coach and generally just a complete arsehole. So why would we want to appoint someone like that 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pretzel said:

Ross County have sacked Malky Mackay for his 1 win in 9 games or so the headlines go. 

It really is crazy what is happening now with managers in our division.

The fact is that somebody has to occupy positions 10,  11, 12 in our league and it seems increasingly that club owners are panacking at the first sign of getting close to the drop zone, regardless of the time of year.

It almost seems like a strategy now to use the new manager bounce to buy 12-18 months before the search for a new manager begins again.

We could well be next. If SK goes that would make 3 managers in as many seasons. Since the turn of the century we have had, on average, a new manager every 18 months with only Mark McGhee and Craig Brown leaving from a position of strength .

What does this tell us? That every manager has been rubbish/ an  imposter/ wage thief etc, or that the job is becoming impossible with an expectation that is far to high.

I sometimes wonder if the drama of the search for a new manager has become as much a part of the entertainment of the sport as the game itself. The appetite for sacking managers has become even stronger amongst the fans. Maybe it is now just a part of the show.

When players are lasting longer at clubs than managers, there is a problem. It cannot allow for a sense of stability or vision of how a club might adopt an identity for the future. There is no vision generally within the Scottish game it would appear.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Very true, because Lennon is an obnoxious wee ginger prick who would start an argument in an empty house, a shite coach and generally just a complete arsehole. So why would we want to appoint someone like that 

Bradford have just appointed someone very similar.

1 hour ago, star sail said:

It really is crazy what is happening now with managers in our division.

The fact is that somebody has to occupy positions 10,  11, 12 in our league and it seems increasingly that club owners are panacking at the first sign of getting close to the drop zone, regardless of the time of year.

It almost seems like a strategy now to use the new manager bounce to buy 12-18 months before the search for a new manager begins again.

We could well be next. If SK goes that would make 3 managers in as many seasons. Since the turn of the century we have had, on average, a new manager every 18 months with only Mark McGhee and Craig Brown leaving from a position of strength .

What does this tell us? That every manager has been rubbish/ an  imposter/ wage thief etc, or that the job is becoming impossible with an expectation that is far to high.

I sometimes wonder if the drama of the search for a new manager has become as much a part of the entertainment of the sport as the game itself. The appetite for sacking managers has become even stronger amongst the fans. Maybe it is now just a part of the show.

When players are lasting longer at clubs than managers, there is a problem. It cannot allow for a sense of stability or vision of how a club might adopt an identity for the future. There is no vision generally within the Scottish game it would appear.

An old guy I knew who used to be President of a local Junior team always used to say the first thing he did after appointing a new manager was to start looking for another one.

Maybe he knew something we don't.