2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

We're just using who we currently have the best we can to get through the rest of the season. I don't think current selections are indicative of what we will do next season.

We will most likely need 2 strikers in the summer, so will be interesting to see what kettlewell goes for. 

• Like 1

We'll probably lose alot of our important players in the summer suspect we'll be losing between 12-15 players this summer and bringing in around 10 or so suppose the type of player will be dependant on what formation Kettlewell wants to play next season

Mandron and Aitchison are both poor players and need to be let go. Obika as well. 

Replacing KVV (and potentially Casey) will be the real test of Kettlewell as a manager. 

If this Paul McMullen rumour is true then we are in bother. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:05 PM, weeyin said:

Sportsound touting KVV for a move to Rangers again.

I hope he does a Higdon and takes his next payday in the Dutch league. I suppose he could move down south too, but his form there has been middling at best.

Rangers would be just too much pressure for him, they would be on his back big style. He would be better moving down south and trying for a punt at the championship.

Budget wise Rangers could do a lot worse, but I just dont see that tyoe of signing satisfying the baying masses. They still think they are big time.

I really hope he doesnt go there. I couldnt bear it. 

Anywhere outwith Scotland would be fine. Hopefully no one with hard cash comes in and we can offer him an extension on ehanced terms. Or promise to let him go for free next summer and he can pocket the extra cash then.

10 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

. Hopefully those who boooed him earlier in the season are ashamed!!!. 

I criticised him for being lazy and looking like he did not give a feck towards the end of Hammell's time and it was justified, he downed tools along with a few others who then all suddenly became different players when SK arrived.

So no shame felt by me, if anyone should be ashamed it is the players who downed tools to get rid of a manager and nearly cost the club their premiership status, not to mention a lot of cash from a longer cup run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

By God, you've fairly changed yir mind on Big Lazy KVV, told you play him properly and you have a player. Ps he could have been on about 40 goals with the chances he has missed. Hopefully those who boooed him earlier in the season are ashamed!!!. 

You maybe need to actually read what people post instead of just reading what you want to see to feed your trolling.

I never doubted KVVs ability, and I never said I didnt think he was a good player, or that his goals werent invaluable to the team. 

The only thing I did was question his attitude during a period when the entire team were rank and we needed senior players to step up and dig Hammell out a hole.

Thats all history now. Hammell is gone, Kettlewell has turned the ship around and KVV is showing the ability that I felt he had in him all along.

But you keep on trying to drag up the past if it makes you feel good. The rest of us will just be happy that the team and KVV are in a better place......

If anything replacing the wing backs shall be important to our success next season as they are pretty key how Kettlewell plays and we are lucky enough to have  two outstanding ones.They compliment each other perfectly.

I really do hope Blaney gets more starts pushes for first team with his free kick ability could be a real asset.I actually think he has a bit of quality about him. 

5 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Read a couple of rumours online that KVV off to Aberdeen. That would be a major disappointment. I don't like players going to other Scottish clubs to come back and damage us.

Don't think he'll go there he'll go abroad and if the Chinese windows open during the summer can see him heading their for a pay day

16 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Read a couple of rumours online that KVV off to Aberdeen. That would be a major disappointment. I don't like players going to other Scottish clubs to come back and damage us.

That's rare these days. Most strikers that have left us to join Scottish clubs don't fare as well.

I'd be surprised if Kev has another season as good as this one when he leaves - none of our other top scorers have had much success when they moved on under similar circumstances.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aberdeen are in for him. They have the laziest recruitment policies in the Premiership.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Can they afford to buy him? Contracted to us for another season. How much is he worth to us if we keep him? Start there and then add on a transfer fee. Aside from selling to a rival if an SPFL team wanted him I don’t think any of them should be able to afford him if we price him properly. Except maybe Rangers or Celtic but you think they would be looking at a more long term investment. If we sell him it has to be to a team out with Scotland. I’m good with keeping him for another season and then he goes where likes for free. Probably the more pertinent question is how will he/Motherwell handle it if a team is offering him a far bigger wage than we can pay him but offering Motherwell a low transfer fee? 

1 hour ago, thewelllfan said:

Don't think he'll go there he'll go abroad and if the Chinese windows open during the summer can see him heading their for a pay day

His value might go up a bit, he's been shortlisted for the PFA Scotland player of the year award.

PFA Scotland awards: Celtic trio McGregor, Hatate & Kyogo join Van Veen on shortlist - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65545456

Up against 3 of the green uglies team so probably not the favourite 

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

That really makes no sense. I could see it being possible if KVV was out of contract, but he's not. 

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Im sure it was tam cowan that started any talk of KVV to Aberdeen,I'm sure it was more who aberdeen should look at if they sell either duk or miovski rather than a concrete link.you can be sure there will be a number of clubs looking at him and hoping they can pinch him off us for next to nothing.

I doubt he is looking at the likes of Aberdeen for his next move, he has a chance to really make bank on the back of this season, and we will be doing the same when it comes to a fee. Maybe we can have one of those elusive bidding wars. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65545457

Kevin van Veen 'more than willing to help Motherwell in financial way'

Last updated 1 hour ago.From the sectionMotherwell

Kevin van Veen has hit 21 league goals for a side sitting eighth in the 12-team Premiership Kevin van Veen has hit 21 league goals for a side sitting eighth in the 12-team Premiership

Kevin van Veen would be happy if Motherwell were to cash in on a summer transfer but insists he is "more than delighted" at Fir Park.

The Dutchman, 31, has scored 25 goals in all competitions this season and has a year to run on his contract.

That form has earned him a PFA Scotland player of the year nomination, along with Celtic trio Callum McGregor, Reo Hatate and Kyogo Furuhashi.

"It's very clichéd but I love playing for the club," said Van Veen.

"At the moment, I can't say anything other than I'm focused on Motherwell. They gave me a platform to show my ability and what I can do.

"But what I can't say, for example, is if the club is getting a really good transfer sum in the summer to not say no, financially for them I give everything.

"I'm more than willing to help the club in a financial way, that doesn't mean I want to leave.

"If everybody is happy and thinking it is the right thing then we need to sit around the table and see what's best for the player and also for the club.

"I'm a bit older, so if there is one more chance to make a step up or if it's financially, I want everybody to agree on it. I would never leave on a bad taste.

"It's going to be interesting in the summer to see what's going to happen but I'm more than delighted to be a Motherwell player."

Van Veen signed for Motherwell in the summer of 2021, arriving as a free agent from Scunthorpe United.

He has scored in each of his past seven Scottish Premiership games (10 goals), which is the best run in the league since Rangers' Alfredo Morelos in December 2018.

The last player to score in eight in a row in the top-flight was Craig Dargo for Inverness Caledonian Thistle in February 2006.

• David locked this topic