2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

I find it hard to see Van Veen ending up at another Scottish club. If the rumours are true that we turned down around £700k for him not long ago, you have to figure that's the kind of figure we're looking for in the summer. Who in Scotland can pay that? Neither Rangers nor Celtic will be interested. Hearts? May have the money after European football and may have the need if the rumours are true that they're ready to cash in on Shankland? But if you're Hearts and you're going to be spending that kind of money, I highly doubt it'll be on a 32 year old with little chance of recouping any of it. Aberdeen? Aye, very good. Similar story to Hearts other than the fact that I'm not sure they have the cash...

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

I hope wherever he goes it’s not in Scotland and he gets some European football.

And we get 750k minimum.

Just for once I wish Motherwell would play hardball when selling assets, the response to any enquiries for KVV should be especially if its an English or Foreign club "OK we will start at £1 million and take it from there, if not jog on"

42 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Just for once I wish Motherwell would play hardball when selling assets, the response to any enquiries for KVV should be especially if its an English or Foreign club "OK we will start at £1 million and take it from there, if not jog on"

"For once"? It's been years since we've sold anyone laughably cheap, but we have made some laughably good money from some mediocre players.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I wouldnt disagree with that.

Puttng the ball in the net is the hardest part of football and therefore the most lucrative when it comes to buying and selling assets.

If you measure KVVs goals purely on league position this season and the prize money that comes with that, its not unreasonable to suggest his value to the club on that alone could be £500k.

Add in what we might need to spend on a replacement and you quite quickly get to somewhere near 7 figures.

The club will be aware of that though and they need to balance looking after the club with the happiness of the player. 

KVV might well have been happy to be patient for another 6 months after the Chinese deal fell through, but if we get an offer he really fancies in the summer and we turn it down again, he may not remain so philosophical about the situation.

Given Kettlewells comments today though, I dont think we will be letting him go for buttons.......

16 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65545457

Kevin van Veen 'more than willing to help Motherwell in financial way'

Last updated 1 hour ago.From the sectionMotherwell

Kevin van Veen has hit 21 league goals for a side sitting eighth in the 12-team Premiership Kevin van Veen has hit 21 league goals for a side sitting eighth in the 12-team Premiership

Kevin van Veen would be happy if Motherwell were to cash in on a summer transfer but insists he is "more than delighted" at Fir Park.

The Dutchman, 31, has scored 25 goals in all competitions this season and has a year to run on his contract.

That form has earned him a PFA Scotland player of the year nomination, along with Celtic trio Callum McGregor, Reo Hatate and Kyogo Furuhashi.

"It's very clichéd but I love playing for the club," said Van Veen.

"At the moment, I can't say anything other than I'm focused on Motherwell. They gave me a platform to show my ability and what I can do.

"But what I can't say, for example, is if the club is getting a really good transfer sum in the summer to not say no, financially for them I give everything.

"I'm more than willing to help the club in a financial way, that doesn't mean I want to leave.

"If everybody is happy and thinking it is the right thing then we need to sit around the table and see what's best for the player and also for the club.

"I'm a bit older, so if there is one more chance to make a step up or if it's financially, I want everybody to agree on it. I would never leave on a bad taste.

"It's going to be interesting in the summer to see what's going to happen but I'm more than delighted to be a Motherwell player."

Van Veen signed for Motherwell in the summer of 2021, arriving as a free agent from Scunthorpe United.

He has scored in each of his past seven Scottish Premiership games (10 goals), which is the best run in the league since Rangers' Alfredo Morelos in December 2018.

The last player to score in eight in a row in the top-flight was Craig Dargo for Inverness Caledonian Thistle in February 2006.

If it all happens as he's saying we can have no complaints he's treating the club and fans with respect although a big loss we cannot grudge him his big pay day 

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I find it hard to see Van Veen ending up at another Scottish club. If the rumours are true that we turned down around £700k for him not long ago, you have to figure that's the kind of figure we're looking for in the summer. Who in Scotland can pay that? Neither Rangers nor Celtic will be interested. Hearts? May have the money after European football and may have the need if the rumours are true that they're ready to cash in on Shankland? But if you're Hearts and you're going to be spending that kind of money, I highly doubt it'll be on a 32 year old with little chance of recouping any of it. Aberdeen? Aye, very good. Similar story to Hearts other than the fact that I'm not sure they have the cash...

I think the amount offered was due to the fact it was during our season and the purchasing club needed it to go through before the Chinese window shut. The fact we refused it would be more down to our precarious league position rather than assuming the bid was too low. 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Playing hard ball is fine if there aren't conditions already agreed between the player / agent / club about the kind of offer we would accept.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I think the amount offered was due to the fact it was during our season and the purchasing club needed it to go through before the Chinese window shut. The fact we refused it would be more down to our precarious league position rather than assuming the bid was too low. 

Like it or not, our Premier League status is precarious at the start of every season. Therefore our main attacking threat should always have a reasonably large price tag...

2 hours ago, numpty said:

"For once"? It's been years since we've sold anyone laughably cheap, but we have made some laughably good money from some mediocre players.

£500k for Erwin , £1.2 for Scott, £200k? For Sol were definitely cracking deals for us 

8 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

£500k for Erwin , £1.2 for Scott, £200k? For Sol were definitely cracking deals for us 

Didn’t we also get decent money for one of our not really very good centre backs a few years ago? 
Ben something or other?

Ben Hall - was said to be around 250k at the time. Also:

Marvin Johnson - 650k (plus addons we cashed in when he was sold on)

Henrik Ojamaa - brought in for free, - 500,000 Euros

Henri Anier - brought in for free, sold for undisclsoed

Cédric Kipré - brought for free, sold for 1 million (plus addons we cashed in on when he was sold on)

Jake Hastie - 350k (plus addons) on the back of 5 decent performances

James Scott - 1.2 million plus addons

Turnbull - 3.5 million plus addons.

Then there are the deals we did for youngsters who moved on at end of contract, McAlear, Campbell, McKinstry etc. all with addons too apparently.

We even managed to get money for Moult in the January window when he could have moved on a Bosman at the end of his contract. Likewise for Tony Watt when he his toys were out the pram.

KVV"s obvious selling point is his goal tally this season. The drawbacks for a buying club are his age - little resell value - and the fact that no striker has ever left us and repeated their form the following season. Closest was Higdon who managed about 50% of his previous season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I find it hard to see Van Veen ending up at another Scottish club. If the rumours are true that we turned down around £700k for him not long ago, you have to figure that's the kind of figure we're looking for in the summer. 

I don't think we did.

We accepted a bid from China then the Chinese came back again and said they would have to reduce the offer and we told them to bolt.

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Like it or not, our Premier League status is precarious at the start of every season. Therefore our main attacking threat should always have a reasonably large price tag...

Not for me, by that measure we would have looked for a hefty sum for Curtis Main if he'd still been under contract and Curtis Main would not have attracted a hefty sum.  Our position is not precarious in virtually every season until the turn of the year because it's only then you see how a season is going and this year our position was more precarious that's is been in fifteen twenty years. I think had we been sitting free from relegation with nowt to play for the Chinese bid would have been accepted . KVV value at the start of this season would have been infinitely less than it is now. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

. The drawbacks for a buying club are his age - little resell value - and the fact that no striker has ever left us and repeated their form the following season. Closest was Higdon who managed about 50% of his previous season.

Shhhhhhhh. Keep that to yersel . You never know who’s listening 

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

SOD has come out and said he's here for next season.

Surely he's not triggered a contract extension with all the 2 minute cameos he gets?

I would happy for SOD to stay, i don't get the amount of stick and booing that he gets. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I would happy for SOD to stay, i don't get the amount of stick and booing that he gets. 

That's because he's barely kicked a ball this season.

If you go back a year further he was getting sent off on purpose against Rangers and giving away stupid goals every other week because he spat the dummy that no other club wanted him after the Euros.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If you go back a year further he was getting sent off on purpose against Rangers and giving away stupid goals every other week because he spat the dummy that no other club wanted him after the Euros.

Yeah right, that's exactly what he did.

50 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Surely he's not triggered a contract extension with all the 2 minute cameos he gets?

I thought he was out of contract at the end of this season. Is he carrying a serious injury?

41 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I wouldn't say he deliberately got himself sent off.  I just think the stick he gets is over the top, I don't know the guy personally but apart from him having a bad spell when yes he was poor I don't see what he has done so wrong. All about opinions..COYW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Just out of curiosity. Are you willing to accept he was one of our better players at Perth, even winning a penalty. In fact, a very able deputy for Max. Arguably better defensively. I maybe missed you saying that in the match thread. 

• David locked this topic