2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

you seem to have trouble understanding that we have some good players , some mediocre players and some pish players. Some would be hard to replace some pretty easy. It’s hardly a radical position to have. Thank God you aint on the recruitment team we'd still have Bob Malcom

Whatever.

No problem understanding our energetic midfielder is going to be much easier to replace than a 30 goal a season maverick.

Bracketing him alongside McGinley, Carroll et all does the kid a disservice.

On replacement, I’m far from convinced the budget and current contracted players give us the changes some on here are expecting.

1 minute ago, Onthefringes said:

Whatever.

No problem understanding our energetic midfielder is going to be much easier to replace than a 30 goal a season maverick.

Bracketing him alongside McGinley, Carroll et all does the kid a disservice.

On replacement, I’m far from convinced the budget and current contracted players give us the changes some on here are expecting.

As I've told you before I don't rate. our soon to be  former. energetic midfielder and you do. That should be the end of our interactions on the subject of Cornelius. It called differing opinions. However you cant resist your sarky responses. Everyone who reads these posts should be well aware by now that I don't rate him and you do and I'm sure, like me, they are bored to fuck with our back and forth posts. So here is a proposition you ignore my posts and Ill happily ignore yours. Interactions over.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

The BBC gossip page is running a story from the Dutch press that KVV to Groningen is a done deal apparently 

https://www.fcupdate.nl/voetbalnieuws/2023/06/fc-groningen-stunt-op-transfermarkt-kevin-van-veen-geeft-zijn-jawoord

Translate the page for the gist of the story, no fee mentioned.

Interesting post over on P&B about Groningen.

Groningen, at this point in time, could be an excellent move for him or an absolute bin fire. They are rebuilding and he could play a big part in that but they are in a really dodgy place as a club too.

For context, they are coming off the worst season in their history, relegated in 18th place in the eredivise (out of 18)and wining 4 games out of 34. Fan aggression has been an issue and 3 of their directors (2 board members & director of football) stepped down in murky circumstances last season linked to fraud. There are rumours they are in substantial debt as well. So lets hope any offer we accept for Kev is not installment based!

More fun snippets:

-Knocked out of Dutch cup by amateur side, while playing at home.

-Boycotted local press after they published a story about a player's violent dog.

-Approached 6 new coaches after sacking their manager, all of whom turned them down (assistant manager got the job and won 1 game out of 20)

-Game against Ajax had to be called off due to fan pitch invasions (one fan attached a Groningen player) and pyro.

FC Groningen v AFC Ajax - Dutch Eredivisie

1 hour ago, santheman said:

Interesting post over on P&B about Groningen.

Groningen, at this point in time, could be an excellent move for him or an absolute bin fire. They are rebuilding and he could play a big part in that but they are in a really dodgy place as a club too.

For context, they are coming off the worst season in their history, relegated in 18th place in the eredivise (out of 18)and wining 4 games out of 34. Fan aggression has been an issue and 3 of their directors (2 board members & director of football) stepped down in murky circumstances last season linked to fraud. There are rumours they are in substantial debt as well. So lets hope any offer we accept for Kev is not installment based!

More fun snippets:

-Knocked out of Dutch cup by amateur side, while playing at home.

-Boycotted local press after they published a story about a player's violent dog.

-Approached 6 new coaches after sacking their manager, all of whom turned them down (assistant manager got the job and won 1 game out of 20)

-Game against Ajax had to be called off due to fan pitch invasions (one fan attached a Groningen player) and pyro.

FC Groningen v AFC Ajax - Dutch Eredivisie

Jeez oh ..what breed of dog was it?

14 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Bob Malcolm - that got me thinking of this list of chaps I'd forgotten ever played for us. 

He's the only player my other half has ever seen score for Motherwell (other than on the telly).

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

The BBC gossip page is running a story from the Dutch press that KVV to Groningen is a done deal apparently 

https://www.fcupdate.nl/voetbalnieuws/2023/06/fc-groningen-stunt-op-transfermarkt-kevin-van-veen-geeft-zijn-jawoord

Translate the page for the gist of the story, no fee mentioned.

Not quite a done deal, but sounds like it's heading in that direction.

FC Groningen are close to getting Kevin van Veen. The Groningers have reached a verbal agreement with the 32-year-old striker, according to FCUpdate journalist Mounir Boualin. Van Veen gave his yes to the Eredivisie relegation side last weekend.

If the final details are worked out and the medical examination poses no problems, Van Veen may call himself a Groningen player. The Pride of the North takes him over from Motherwell. In Scottish service last season he became a sensation by scoring 29 goals in 44 games. He scored 25 of those at the highest level in Scotland. Only Kyogo Furuhashi of Celtic (27 goals) was more often on target.

The 32-year-old Van Veen started his career with PSV (youth) and Helmond Sport and seemed to put professional life out of his mind after a breakthrough failed to materialize. The striker became a plasterer and continued with the amateurs, where he impressed so much that TOP Oss picked him up. Then Van Veen came out for Scunthorpe United, SC Cambuur (rental), Northampton Town and since the summer of 2021 for Motherwell.

Van Veen will succeed Ricardo Pepi at Groningen. The American striker was rented last season from FC Augsburg and impressed by scoring 12 times in 26 Eredivisie games, but failed to save his temporary club from relegation to the Keuken Kampioen Divisie

27 minutes ago, numpty said:

He's the only player my other half has ever seen score for Motherwell (other than on the telly).

Bob Malcom's entry in wikipedia is where I tested out the theory "can anyone really edit these things?"

Over the course of the years it was edited slightly by moderators, but the basic made-up "fact" is still there.

(I promise I haven't made any wiki edits since then).

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

I’ve been to and stayed in Groningen a fair few times. It’s a lovely wee city. 

Yup, agreed. Stayed there 4 or 5 times when over for World Superbikes in Assen. great wee place, apart from the abundance of students 🙂

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

Not quite a done deal, but sounds like it's heading in that direction.

There was a time when a verbal agreement was a done deal but I take your point. Its going to be one of those undisclosed fee deals so nobody will know what we sold him for.

28 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Its going to be one of those undisclosed fee deals so nobody will know what we sold him for.

It usually is with us, they are something of a speciality of ours. 

I wish he was going to stay but I get we will end up with an offer we can't turn down,the positive is that it doesn't look like it's going to drag on,if we need to replace him it's best we have plenty of time to do so rather than going down to last days of the transfer window and we find ourselves in a total lose lose scenario.

30 minutes ago, MJC said:

It's not rocket science, however, to figure out our transfer dealings from the end of season accounts.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

There was a time when a verbal agreement was a done deal but I take your point. Its going to be one of those undisclosed fee deals so nobody will know what we sold him for.

I was thinking more along the lines that the article didn't say we'd accepted their bid, only that KVV had agreed terms.

Of course that means we gave permission for him to negotiate, but was unclear if we had agreed the transfer fee terms.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

The norm with most teams now. Usually, but not always, at the request of the buying team. 

By way of illustration, Kevin Nisbet has left Hibs for a "Significant 7 figure fee". What does that mean? 

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

By way of illustration, Kevin Nisbet has left Hibs for a "Significant 7 figure fee". What does that mean? 

It means that the fee is in the millions.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The norm with most teams now. Usually, but not always, at the request of the buying team. 

More than £1 million less than £2 million, loose change for a team like Millwall, I reckon if its more than that they tell you ie the £3 million we agreed to sell Turnbull for.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Freeing up the wage and bringing in a transfer should leave us with the funds to bring in two starters to play up front. 

Those two signings will make or break Kettlewell as we have fuck all goals anywhere else in the squad.

I really hope we don't resign any of the strikers who were with us since Feb.   When I look at the current squad it's more likely that goals will come from midfield (Spittal & Tierney) than our forwards and Tierney gets very little game time. 

Sell KVV with a clause that all other strikers also need to be taken as well. 

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Freeing up the wage and bringing in a transfer should leave us with the funds to bring in two starters to play up front. 

Those two signings will make or break Kettlewell as we have fuck all goals anywhere else in the squad.

Freeing up a the wage and the transfer money .....would be required for all the signings we could make !!!

But who says VV wants to leave ...might want to stay if the offer is enough..... just saying.. 

• David locked this topic