2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

14 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

😄

I dont see the point of squad numbers other than to fleece the weans at the shirt printers!

It'll be easier for the kitman to make sure everyone has a kit that fits them rather than one week having Paul McGinn wearing number 4 then the next week it's Lamie. 

15 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It'll be easier for the kitman to make sure everyone has a kit that fits them rather than one week having Paul McGinn wearing number 4 then the next week it's Lamie. 

Fair point.

Never thought about poor Aldo! 

I retract my comment.

Reading a Kettlewell interview earlier he mentions we are 6 first team players down on the side that helped us achieve a strong finish and that we will need to move some players on before we can sign others. Obviously we had a bloated squad as we added many new bodies in January but it would have been interesting to see how things played out if Casey, Goss, Mandron etc all accepted new deals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfc said:

308k would be the compensation for Johnstone,who looks like he's off to Sturm Graz according to sky.

Never like losing our good youngsters, but I'd rather see them move to the continent to develop than moving to League One in England.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pretzel said:

Reading a Kettlewell interview earlier he mentions we are 6 first team players down on the side that helped us achieve a strong finish and that we will need to move some players on before we can sign others. Obviously we had a bloated squad as we added many new bodies in January but it would have been interesting to see how things played out if Casey, Goss, Mandron etc all accepted new deals. 

Was Mandron offered one ?

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Was Mandron offered one ?

A Saints fan over on P&B claiming that we offered him a deal but they topped it.

Also claims that they were in for him in January and he opted for us then.

Whether that's true or not who knows. 

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

and we net something like £400k which is reasonable. 

I’m assuming that’s a development fee.
Since he under 23 and we have offered him a contract extension, are we entitled to any further sell on fees at a later date or is it the £400k and that’s it? 

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

I’m assuming that’s a development fee.
Since he under 23 and we have offered him a contract extension, are we entitled to any further sell on fees at a later date or is it the £400k and that’s it? 

Sky reporting about about £380k

I tell what the most worrying transfer so far the failure to appoint a ceo before the start of the new season and it’s all went hush hush on the matter.

If anything comes back to bite us on the ass this season it will be this.Even getting one this late in the day is laughable should have had one in start of June at latest.

15 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I tell what the most worrying transfer so far the failure to appoint a ceo before the start of the new season and it’s all went hush hush on the matter.

If anything comes back to bite us on the ass this season it will be this.Even getting one this late in the day is laughable should have had one in start of June at latest.

Can you tell us where all these out of work chief execs are currently? We need to make the right appointment I’ve not been happy with every single decision clubs made in recent years but I’d rather we took our time and got the right guy in. By all accounts we offered the job to someone and they knocked it back as they deemed us a less attractive option  than Blackpool. 

2 minutes ago, Throughthelaces said:

Can you tell us where all these out of work chief execs are currently? We need to make the right appointment I’ve not been happy with every single decision clubs made in recent years but I’d rather we took our time and got the right guy in. By all accounts we offered the job to someone and they knocked it back as they deemed us a less attractive option  than Blackpool. 

The guy was in post then quickly left. That’s the thing that’s most worrying

25 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

The guy was in post then quickly left. That’s the thing that’s most worrying

If that was the case - surely there would have been an official announcement before he took up post (even if he was only in it for a few days).

What does a CEO do that the current board isn't capable of doing?

If we want to run using a CEO model then obviously it's good to have that role filled, but I've worked for various companies over the years that spent months looking for the right CEO and operated just fine with board members stepping in.

The biggest challenge is that running a football club like ours is very different from running a traditional business (e.g. no shareholder dividend targets to meet, can't expand market share, we're stuck with "football team" being our main product etc. etc).

That's why many business people fail when they enter the football arena and why many clubs don't operate using a CEO model.

Having someone like Andrew Wilson on the board should keep things ticking over nicely as listening to SK's comment it sounds like he is doing a lot of acting CEO work behind the scenes (and is very well qualified for that kind of work).

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Has anyone applied

Was he ever officially appointed? I'd have thought there would have been a formal announcement rather than just the stories I read in the newspapers.

I'm certainly not worried about it. Our business model and financials aren't exactly a secret.

EDIT: actually, looking at this story, it seems that McGhee was given a better counter-offer by Blackpool and after depature of their CEO has assumed "a broader role as head of finance and operations."

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

They know where I am, they just need to pick up the phone.

Weeyin is just a phone call away.........The New Luc Nijolt

• David locked this topic