2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Feck me.

Been away for a few days and had a quick look in here.

Thought we had maybe been relegated to the Lowland League for financial mismanagement, our entire first team squad had emigrated to Australia or some Nigerian had emptied the Well Society bank account.

Think I'll go away again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Pish, the big English Premiership clubs like Arsenal are ruthless in situations like this they have no problem with recalling a player then immediately sending him out on loan elsewhere. You can guarantee if Biereth is off to Sheffield Wednesday as mentioned they will be paying more if not all of his wage than we did so a financial benefit to Arsenal who don't give a feck about the effect recalling the player has on other teams.

So it would not have matterd if we were 5th as you say and playing well the recall would still have happened.

Percentage of wages paid for young players on loan is also something that can help out with their Financial Fair Play regulations. Given the ongoing Man City investigation, and the recent charges against Everton and Forest, I can imagine every EPL club is going over their balance sheet with a fine tooth comb.

The good news is nobody had a clue who he was before he joined us, and there are likely more players like him we might be able to bring in.

42 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Only the 30? You've not seen bad teams 

Oh of course, the ‘Faithers of the support’ don’t want to hear any criticism of the team and the club from anyone who didn’t watch us play in the first division in the 1980s. Why not throw in a ‘FHW’ rant about Hearts and their fans for the full house?

10 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Pish, the big English Premiership clubs like Arsenal are ruthless in situations like this they have no problem with recalling a player then immediately sending him out on loan elsewhere. You can guarantee if Biereth is off to Sheffield Wednesday as mentioned they will be paying more if not all of his wage than we did so a financial benefit to Arsenal who don't give a feck about the effect recalling the player has on other teams.

So it would not have matterd if we were 5th as you say and playing well the recall would still have happened.

How much money do you think Biereth is on a week at Arsenal? How much do you think we were covering? How much more do you think Sheffield Wednesday would cover than we were? How little will that final number be in the grand scheme of things to Arsenal, a team in the latter stages of the Champions League this year?

Saying that how we play and where we in the league are is "pish" and it's money related to a team as rich as Arsenal is just not true. Reiss Nelson on 20 grand a week, maybe. Biereth on 10% of that, not so much.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Looking at your defensive response to the posts that criticise the manager etc., I'd be intrigued to see you try to defend the reality that is one win in 4.5 months, or do you choose to ignore that like you suggest I dismiss what you've pointed out? The former is the bigger picture here. 

I'm more than happy to deal in reality. We're a poor side, we didn't sign much quality in the summer, we look unlikely to bring much in during this window and our run without a win was the worst since Tommy McLean. I don't ignore or need to defend any of that.

However, when folk claim we can't score, reality shows otherwise. Reality shows the non footballer Theo Bair's goal return has been on a par with or better than anyone else signed by any of our potential relegation rivals. 

And here's the bigger picture - all the pissing and moaning in the world won't change the fact Kettlewell is not getting sacked. We got that straight from the top a week ago, but it clearly didn't register with everyone.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

How much money do you think Biereth is on a week at Arsenal? How much do you think we were covering? How much more do you think Sheffield Wednesday would cover than we were? How little will that final number be in the grand scheme of things to Arsenal, a team in the latter stages of the Champions League this year?

Saying that how we play and where we in the league are is "pish" and it's money related to a team as rich as Arsenal is just not true. Reiss Nelson on 20 grand a week, maybe. Biereth on 10% of that, not so much.

He gets £4900 a week at Arsenal

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The good news is nobody had a clue who he was before he joined us, and there are likely more players like him we might be able to bring in.

This is the positive. Chances are there are very similar players in a load of the academies down south.  The fact that we've taken a player and he's done well enough to get interest at a higher level will hopefully be a selling point for other teams if we want their players on loan...

• Like 1

Mika Biereth is offski, just have to move on. He turned out to be a great signing by the club - a bright spark in a difficult first half of the season. When you look at the real outstanding players that have departed during Stuart Kettlewell's reign to date (Max Johnston, Kevin Van Veen and Mika Biereth) - he's had a tough job on his hands. Always going to be difficult to replace players like these on our limited funds compared to many, if not most of the clubs in our league. It was great to watch them while we could. If you take the past season or 2 for example, I don't think many of the comparible teams have been fortunate enough to see players of this quality turning out for them and equally have not had to deal with the loss of such influential players (off the top of my head Regan Charles-Cook at RC, maybe Nicky Devlin at Livi). Hopefully there's another gem out there to be had..!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

I'm more than happy to deal in reality. We're a poor side, we didn't sign much quality in the summer, we look unlikely to bring much in during this window and our run without a win was the worst since Tommy McLean. I don't ignore or need to defend any of that.

However, when folk claim we can't score, reality shows otherwise. Reality shows the non footballer Theo Bair's goal return has been on a par with or better than anyone else signed by any of our potential relegation rivals. 

And here's the bigger picture - all the pissing and moaning in the world won't change the fact Kettlewell is not getting sacked. We got that straight from the top a week ago, but it clearly didn't register with everyone.

Hear, here.

Keep fighting the good fight bud.

This place needs some sanity.

• Like 1

Not going to say Im not concerned about Saturday, because I am.

We could really do with a cup run to improve our finances and lower league opposition at home gives us a good chance for comfortable progression to the next round.

I was confident that would be achieved even with a threadbare squad and the departures of Spencer and Wilko. 

However, the injury to Slattery and the departure of Biereth now make that more difficult than it might have been.

As for the league though, can we not just wait for the window to be closed and assess our chances once we have seen what business has been done instead of pissing ourselves and forecasting Armageddon?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Spot on Allan. Thats all that matters to them, and teams like them. 

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Oh of course, the ‘Faithers of the support’ don’t want to hear any criticism of the team and the club from anyone who didn’t watch us play in the first division in the 1980s. Why not throw in a ‘FHW’ rant about Hearts and their fans for the full house?

I am just measured in my support and criticism, if required...it's not easy playing, managing or supporting Motherwell...seems to be a chore to you tho

Anyway what is FHW?

Regards 

The way folk are going on you would think we have lost prime Messi ffs everyone needs to chill out a tad.

Yes we need players but they will come now if they are decent is anyone guess but we will never finish below Livi they are utter trash bags.

My only gripe is why we are signing Celtic young players on loan while we have young players to push on it's always pissed me of extremely things like that it only sends the message that our players are not good enough.

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I am just measured in my support and criticism, if required...it's not easy playing, managing or supporting Motherwell...seems to be a chore to you tho

Anyway what is FHW?

Regards 

‘Fuck Hearts Wankers’

Horrific patter that was quite the thing on these boards back in the day. 

38 minutes ago, mfc said:

Scott fraser of charlton being linked with a loan move to us.

No idea if he'd be any good or not, but at least he seems to have been playing regularly up until a few weeks ago and apparently wants to come here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

No idea if he'd be any good or not, but at least he seems to have been playing regularly up until a few weeks ago and apparently wants to come here.

I don't know too much about him either other than he was highly rated when he first moved to england.I would rather we pursued this one than someone like halliday.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Yeah, about 6 years back. You remember him? 

He's seemingly been playing regularly and is contracted until 2025 so it would be odd if Charlton let him go. Definitely the sort of player that we should be after rather than someone like Halliday - younger, non-O.F., decent career up until now.

Just now, Mad Dog said:

He's seemingly been playing regularly and is contracted until 2025 so it would be odd if Charlton let him go. Definitely the sort of player that we should be after rather than someone like Holliday - younger, non-O.F., decent career up until now.

Supposed to be better offers from down south, but wants back for family reasons, according to the reports. Won't hold my breath, though there does seem to be some truth to this one.

28 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Yeah, about 6 years back. You remember him? 

Yeah he was a decent player for them and considered a big prospect if I remember correctly. I’ve not followed his career so don’t know how things have gone for him since. 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic