Cup game Elgin City v Motherwell 15/07/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Just now, MJC said:

It’s always quite a special and satisfying feeling seeing youngsters we’ve brought through to the first team making their mark. Hopefully Lennon Miller takes great confidence from getting on the scoresheet today and can go on to become a big part of our first team squad this season.

Agreed

Think SK will rotate the youngsters, would be good to see Ferrie get a start or two

Personally I'd like to see Miller & Wilson start all the group games

1 minute ago, Robbos boy said:

Nice to see the usual players getting the boos from the usual suspects, give us a break lads, bloody season just started. For those poo pooing Obika, can you tell me what the lad Wilkinson did,???? asking for a friend who didn't see the game 😉

Don't worry I m sure his turn will come soon enough

2 minutes ago, Mio Krivokapic said:

Agreed

Think SK will rotate the youngsters, would be good to see Ferrie get a start or two

Personally I'd like to see Miller & Wilson start all the group games

These games are the perfect opportunity to give young players their chance. Obviously the main objective has to be to win the game but being realistic we have the strongest squad in the group so we can afford to blood our young talent here. For us as a club we need to be developing young players who can go on to make an impact on the first team so these games are the perfect chance for us to do that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Nice to see the usual players getting the boos from the usual suspects, give us a break lads, bloody season just started. For those poo pooing Obika, can you tell me what the lad Wilkinson did,???? asking for a friend who didn't see the game 😉

Yup agree totally, get fed up with certain players being targeted. Said it before, more a player is criticised the poorer they will perform 

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

These games are the perfect opportunity to give young players their chance. Obviously the main objective has to be to win the game but being realistic we have the strongest squad in the group so we can afford to blood our young talent here. For us as a club we need to be developing young players who can go on to make an impact on the first team so these games are the perfect chance for us to do that.

We are very lucky to have Miller as I think he's the best Scottish player in his age group from what I have seen watching the Scotland u17s and most of the best young Scottish talent is heading south these days. 

Celtic and Rangers have lost a lot of their best prospects so it's impacting everyone. If Miller plays to his potential and progresses there will be a lot of interest in him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

can you tell me what the lad Wilkinson did,???? asking for a friend who didn't see the game 😉

He's a clear-cut choice to start the next game.

Just back in from the game.

A comfortable run out in the type of game where we've struggled in the past.

Other than a wee 10 minute spell in the 2nd half where we let them back into the game we controlled it well.

Still a bit rusty in places but that'll come with games.

Great to see the youngsters get a game.

An old Elgin fan said to me after the game that he's been watching them for 40 years and that was probably one of the best performances he's seen from them in that time. Goes to show these smaller teams always raise their game against the bigger ones as both Saints and Dundee Utd found out to their cost today 

Really enjoyed that today.

Cant beat an away day at a ground you havent been to before. Its part of what I like about this League Cup format, especially now they have done away with the regionalisation. Cracking wee oldskool ground.

As for the game, very competent performance and we strolled it without really hitting the heights.

The youngsters all aquitted themselves well. Wilson and Ross both looked steady enough and composed on the ball. Lennon Miller looks the real deal and took his goal really well. Young Ferrie looked sharp when he came on as well. It may well have been lower league opposition, but they all looked streets ahead of the youngsters in the Elgin team.

Was interesting to see SOD start on the right of the back 3 and I didnt think he looked out of place at all. Blaney looks assured on the ball and even big Bevis had a decent game, albeit he was never really put under any pressure.

I really like big Obika. I know he isnt very good in the air for a man his height, but he is a very tidy footballer with the ball at his feet and once he and Wilkinson get to know each other, I think there could be a partnership there. Glad he got his goal 2nd half to make up for the one he missed in the first.

Wilkinson had a pretty quiet game, but there will be plenty more to come from him.

Overall, a very good day at the office. Lots of room for improvement, but job done.

Same again on Tuesday please.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Hope you haven't read Pie and Bovril then. Some of the comments there are OTT and pure vitriol. The first game of a new season and some getting torn into their favourite targets who were  on the field for barely 15 minutes. I get we all have our opinions of players and thats fine but there is a line we shouldn't cross. Players are only human and do read interent boards. 

• Thanks 1

I'm impressed with our approach to pre-season.  Quietly going about our business, giving lots of youngsters game time and working to a plan.  

Letting players going whilst adding a bit of more quality as we go. Fair play to the mgt team, nice to see them having. a clear plan and knowing what action is required to make said plan work. 

• Like 3

The club doing some hype for Miller.

We are probably going to be talking a lot about contracts and potential transfer fees but the important thing is that it's good to have some real quality in the team and hopefully we can get the benefit on the park while he's here.

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The club doing some hype for Miller.

We are probably going to be talking a lot about contracts and potential transfer fees but the important thing is that it's good to have some real quality in the team and hopefully we can get the benefit on the park while he's here.

He's 16, just had his debut 1st team goal it's a good start and he shows promise but for me it's Still a bit early to label him as " Real quality in the team" only time and an extended run in the team will determine that, I hope we have him on a decent contract.

• Like 2