Rangers v Motherwell 24/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

11 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

A well organised , hard working team with limited talent moving forward . 

Other teams know this, they get in front knowing we will struggle to get back on terms, our current forward line is woeful. 

I've not seen any highlights yet but I've no doubt we had our chances to score just like last week.

12 minutes ago, Chanzeypopz said:

With our current lack up talent upfront i see games like this becoming a thing of the norm 😔 

I’m afraid so. It’s days like today and last week that demonstrate just how valuable van Veen was for us last season. For all we had a terrific revival under Kettlewell from February onwards how much of that was down to KvV making the difference in games?

Considering the pathetic shambles we were before SK tooK over this is a splendid display. Yes, we are struggling to score but you can’t fix everything in one go. First SK fixed the defence and now we have. Midfield playing some very nice football and making chances. I’m sure SK will address the scoring issue too. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Considering the pathetic shambles we were before SK tooK over this is a splendid display. Yes, we are struggling to score but you can’t fix everything in one go. First SK fixed the defence and now we have. Midfield playing some very nice football and making chances. I’m sure SK will address the scoring issue too. 

This is exactly the type of post that gives football forums a bad name... 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I can't argue with that but that's 2, 1-0  defeats in a row now and a very distinct prospect of another defeat next week as well so all of the good start we had in the 1st 4 games will be undone.

Unless the players we have start scoring it's going to be a long haul till January till we can get someone else in.

Despite the lack of quality in the final 3rd there's lots to be pleased with. Very well organised, every player knows their role. They all work hard for one another. 

We will score goals as a team, just doubt current forward(s) will get to double figures.

If we continue as we are still believe we're 7th or better in this league and for now that will do.

15 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Frustrating and sadly lack of striker is costing us but you know what.... we are in such a better position since SK took over so keep the faith folks 

Overall as a team we definitely are yes. But we just don’t have goals in us and that is our biggest downfall.

12 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Frustrating and sadly lack of striker is costing us but you know what.... we are in such a better position since SK took over so keep the faith folks 

Have to agree. We're not shipping many goals, We're looking very good in midfield and for the first time in many seasons, the football being played is enjoyable to watch.

Yes, we all understand that there are difficulties in the final third. Once that is resolved this team could be very good in this league. We are just going to have to muddle through until the front line starts to contribute goals.

No shame in losing 1-0 to that mob , though feel that is a chance missed to have got at least a draw today as Rangers were poor

Onwards and upwards , need to put in a positive performance in next week as well and hopefully pick up something 

The main issue right now for me is definitely the lack of goals 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

I can't argue with that but that's 2, 1-0  defeats in a row now and a very distinct prospect of another defeat next week as well so all of the good start we had in the 1st 4 games will be undone.

Unless the players we have start scoring it's going to be a long haul till January till we can get someone else in.

Spider there is no way its going to be a long haul.

This team is not far away and the performance today was as good as I've seen at ibrox in years.

Yes the strikers aren't van veen level but our midfield 4 is playing best football at fir park for a while.

After today and also seen some celtic games this year those 2 are nowhere near the level they have been in last couple of seasons.

Only downside I see for us is if we get more injuries to our midfield I think we'd be struggling as there's no one to come in.

I know we are beat again but there are plenty positives in last 2 games against 2nd and 3rd in league. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

This team is not far away and the performance today was as good as I've seen at ibrox in years.

Yes the strikers aren't van veen level but our midfield 4 is playing best football at fir park for a while.

After today and also seen some celtic games this year those 2 are nowhere near the level they have been in last couple of seasons.

Only downside I see for us is if we get more injuries to our midfield I think we'd be struggling as there's no one to come in.

I know we are beat again but there are plenty positives in last 2 games against 2nd and 3rd in league. 

You really need to stop spouting such rational and sensible comments: this is a fans' forum,  after all.

Have a word with yourself!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

like who ?? the 2nd striker at real madrid ?  or just another run of the mill journeyman hoping to make a step up

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gaz7 said:

and the bbc radio scotland commentators were saying how good a team we were and deserved a draw at least ffs even kenny miller said we were worth a draw      on wards and side ways  😁

• Like 1

The smart arse BBC guy who supports Aberdeen was trying to be clever making comments about Rangers supporters wouldn't have been happy if they and signed Beir. Crags immediately responded by saying Motherwell supporters would have be even less happy if we had spent £4000000 and ended up with Dessers. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Great team performance today. We havent showed the mentality to win at Ibrox for such a long time and it was there for all to see in spades.

We defended well as a unit, no cheap individual mistakes and the goal we did lose was a wicked deflection.

Midfield passed it around for fun, got in some very good positions and but for a bit of luck or better finishing we would have had a couple of goals.

For those having a go at the forward line again, its fair enough to point out the lack of quality up front, but can we not add a little perspective?

I thought Bair did well enough again today. Won some headers held it up, laid it off. He never really had any clear cut chances, so not sure what folk are expecting of him. He isnt an out and out striker, but when we play someone else up top with him we tend to lose the control over the midfield we have been exhibiting.

Shaw made a difference when he came on and for me he missed the best chance of the game, but Id also cut him some slack as he hasnt played a lot of football and is coming into games cold with very little gametime behind him. Going forward I'd like to see us build that up so he is fit enough to start instead of Theo.

Although we havent seen anything to suggest Wilkinson is any good, he has been injured and has yet to settle so we have no idea if he is any good or not.

We also have Biereth to come back, so its not all doom and gloom.

We just controlled large parts of the game against the 2nd best team in the country on their own patch in a manner most of us have been desperate to see for years.

Lets concentrate on the positives and take that into the Celtic game next week. This team isnt far away from where we want it to be.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Oh boy we must have been really good at Ibrox their fans are having meltdowns that Motherwell were making them look poor and it was a fluke that they scored they also want to get their manager sacked. 
 Their websites are blowing up!

Booing their players at the end and they won the game! 
Well done SK and the team for making that happen. 

Wonder when they will come for SK?

5 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Great team performance today. We havent showed the mentality to win at Ibrox for such a long time and it was there for all to see in spades.

We defended well as a unit, no cheap individual mistakes and the goal we did lose was a wicked deflection.

Midfield passed it around for fun, got in some very good positions and but for a bit of luck or better finishing we would have had a couple of goals.

For those having a go at the forward line again, its fair enough to point out the lack of quality up front, but can we not add a little perspective?

I thought Bair did well enough again today. Won some headers held it up, laid it off. He never really had any clear cut chances, so not sure what folk are expecting of him. He isnt an out and out striker, but when we play someone else up top with him we tend to lose the control over the midfield we have been exhibiting.

Shaw made a difference when he came on and for me he missed the best chance of the game, but Id also cut him some slack as he hasnt played a lot of football and is coming into games cold with very little gametime behind him. Going forward I'd like to see us build that up so he is fit enough to start instead of Theo.

Although we havent seen anything to suggest Wilkinson is any good, he has been injured and has yet to settle so we have no idea if he is any good or not.

We also have Biereth to come back, so its not all doom and gloom.

We just controlled large parts of the game against the 2nd best team in the country on their own patch in a manner most of us have been desperate to see for years.

Lets concentrate on the positives and take that into the Celtic game next week. This team isnt far away from where we want it to be.

Doft my cap, perfect summation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We played really well, but are utterly toothless up front in terms of strikers, final ball, and set pieces, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Unfortunately, the evidence is there to convince me we’ll likely see this type of performance and result play out several times this season. For me, it boils down to this - SK can't legislate for what happened to Biereth, but replacing KVV with the likes of Obika, Wilkinson, Bair, and Shaw is clearly a mistake. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wellfan said:

SK can't legislate for what happened to Biereth, but replacing KVV with the likes of Obika, Wilkinson, Bair, and Shaw is clearly a mistake. 

Correct. And when you take into consideration how much emphasis SK and the club put into how meagre our budget is then signing a player over thirty who we knew was injury prone and a player who was ridiculed by St.Johnstone fans last season then it’s crazy.

I think there was definitely something in the talk of us being in for Steven Fletcher, SK perhaps expected that to happen but he didn’t want to come so Ollie Shaw was signed at the last minute.