Motherwell v Aberdeen 01/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

On 10/30/2023 at 10:29 AM, Kmcalpin said:

I think the problem is that if, we go with one up top, who that single striker is. None are really cut out for that role. Pp

To think our fans gave Jordan White dogs abuse. A player who I don't think got a fair crack of the whip at Motherwell. I'm not saying he'd have been the ultimate answer but he'd walk past Bair and Shaw into our team right now. Scored a peach at Easter Road tonight and was a right handful for the Hibs defence.

7 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

To think our fans gave Jordan White dogs abuse. A player who I don't think got a fair crack of the whip at Motherwell. I'm not saying he'd have been the ultimate answer but he'd walk past Bair and Shaw into our team right now. Scored a peach at Easter Road tonight and was a right handful for the Hibs defence.

I certainly never gave White pelters but not sure he would have improved us. Didn't even start on Saturday but I admit is better than Bair.  Plus Mandron top scorer with St Mirren which no way would any of us have predicted.   I still have faith in Wilkinson and Mika when fully fit.  Also feel Shaw will improve but time will tell

21 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Jordan White is absolutely shite and a gurning prick into the bargain. 18 appearances and no goals for us.

10 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I certainly never gave White pelters but not sure he would have improved us. Didn't even start on Saturday but I admit is better than Bair.  Plus Mandron top scorer with St Mirren which no way would any of us have predicted.   I still have faith in Wilkinson and Mika when fully fit.  Also feel Shaw will improve but time will tell

To be fair no one got the chance to give Jordan White pelters or abuse because he didn’t play a single match for us in front of a crowd as his short time here was during the lockdown season. He was pretty dire for us though.

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

Wilkinson has his strengths. He's our second best striker and knows where the goals are. However he's not especially mobile and not exactly a target man.

Yeah, but if Biereth isn't available, then he's our best option. Far from ideal, but it is what it is for now.

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

With Miller coming back in, I think Kettlewell will be reasonably happy to keep it at 0-0 till he can get Biereth on, so I won't fall off my seat if he reverts to starting with Bair.

If he does that, then we have to recognise that Bair isn't a project and is no longer a 4th choice player being stuck in there due to injury. He's then one of our first-choice strikers.

Wasent it discussed already that its in Mika's contract he isnt allowed to play a full 90 mins 🙄 As much as i would love to see that its probably too soon, And i would also take Wilkinson over Bair even though both his goals this season have been given to him on a plate from Mika

35 minutes ago, David said:

If he does that, then we have to recognise that Bair isn't a project and is no longer a 4th choice player being stuck in there due to injury. He's then one of our first-choice strikers.

Horses for courses. Assuming he goes with the 4 man midfield/lone striker option - which was much more secure than the 2 striker system - it has to be Shaw or Bair. Wilkinson probably has better goal scoring instincts/ability than both put together, but he's been as slow as a week in the jail so far, and does Kettlewell trust him to do the dirty work on his own up front? We know he thinks Bair can.

And of course he's one of our first choice strikers now. The others are currently either fecked, half fecked or feckin awful.

18 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Jordan White is absolutely shite and a gurning prick into the bargain. 18 appearances and no goals for us.

He had two early goals for us ruled out due to debatable infringements then stuck on the bench for six months.

He didn’t do enough when he came on but his time with us could have gone a different way. 

2 hours ago, Jastons said:

Whoever starts up front I want to see them get into the box . Bair has a habit of staying wide of the goal . I want to see him with a bit of confidence, win headers and shoot .

Bair doesn't win headers or really get much on target. It's not in his arsenal. At absolute best he can do the donkey work for a much more well rounded striker. Which is why I thought that, given a chance and a run of games, he and Shaw may be worth looking at until Biereth gets back to full fitness.

Once Biereth and Wilkinson are fully fit that's the two I'd go with every time. If we use two. If we use one then it would need to be one of them. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Biereth and Wilkinson are fully fit that's the two I'd go with every time. If we use two. If we use one then it would need to be one of them. 

That seems the most likely combo, but once (if) everyone is fit no doubt SK will test out a few pairings. I imagine Obika will be in the mix too. 

And that's not to say that Bair doesn't have a role to play. As much as I don't think he's worth the paper his contract is printed on, he's someone we can fire on if we're holding a lead or looking to shore up in the last 15 minutes or so and he can do his running around and whatever else he does. 

But if we want to actually score goals and win football games? He's not going to be figuring much.