Motherwell v Rangers 24/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, santheman said:

Don't think we'll get pumped tbh.

Watched their last 2 games and they created next to nothing in the way of clear cut chances despite having the bulk of play.

They'll get their usual penalty though.

In the words of the late Danny Blanchflower, we’ll have to equalize before they score. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

With McGinn fit again it’ll be interesting to see what Kettlewell’s selection at the back will look like. 
I assume Mugabi, Blaney and Spencer will all start, but which 2 from McGinn, O’Donnell and Gent will? For me it would be McGinn and Gent, however I suspect SK will be tempted to go back to McGinn and O’Donnell giving experience against Rangers as the main reason. 

With Butcher not likely fit enough yet, and Miller & Casey still out, I suspect the rest of the team will be exactly what we started with in Paisley with Slattery, Davor, Paton, Spittal and Biereth.

55 minutes ago, couttsy said:

With McGinn fit again it’ll be interesting to see what Kettlewell’s selection at the back will look like. 
I assume Mugabi, Blaney and Spencer will all start, but which 2 from McGinn, O’Donnell and Gent will? For me it would be McGinn and Gent, however I suspect SK will be tempted to go back to McGinn and O’Donnell giving experience against Rangers as the main reason. 

With Butcher not likely fit enough yet, and Miller & Casey still out, I suspect the rest of the team will be exactly what we started with in Paisley with Slattery, Davor, Paton, Spittal and Biereth.

Pretty much agree with that. You have to ask why SK hasn't selected Gent and Spencer, as starters, until the last couple of games or so. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Pretty much agree with that. You have to ask why SK hasn't selected Gent and Spencer, as starters, until the last couple of games or so. 

Because he thought he could rely on the experienced pros to mask his inexperience? Or because he likes to put square pegs in round holes because he gives them so much information that should make it work okay? And now he realised he's wrong and has begun to simplify things regardless of experience? Who knows?! 

I think he is likely to go with the same team again and use McGinn off the bench.

We kept our first clean sheet in 14 games last weekend. Do you risk interfering with that if players are starting to build an understanding?

Obviously Rangers will be a stiffer test than St Mirren. But I think the point still stands.

I like Blaney on the left with Gent. Good to have 2 naturally left sided players there.

Same with SOD and Spencer on the right.

Ive also noticed at recent games that SOD is the one shouting and organising the managers instructions at everyone. Maybe thats why SK has stuck by him.

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think he is likely to go with the same team again and use McGinn off the bench.

We kept our first clean sheet in 14 games last weekend. Do you risk interfering with that if players are starting to build an understanding?

Obviously Rangers will be a stiffer test than St Mirren. But I think the point still stands.

I like Blaney on the left with Gent. Good to have 2 naturally left sided players there.

Same with SOD and Spencer on the right.

Ive also noticed at recent games that SOD is the one shouting and organising the managers instructions at everyone. Maybe thats why SK has stuck by him.

Yeh, couldn’t argue if he goes with the same again, however I don’t think there’s much doubt McGinn is generally better than O’Donnell on the right side of a 3.

What will piss me off is if he moves Spencer back to LWB, O’Donnell to RWB and replaces Gent with McGinn (although I suspect that’s what he’ll do)

On 12/21/2023 at 5:14 PM, santheman said:

They'll get their usual penalty though.

Maybe if we tried not pulling jerseys, diving in recklessly or needlessly hand balling inside the box then they won’t be able to get their ‘usual’ penalty?? 

37 minutes ago, MJC said:

Maybe if we tried not pulling jerseys, diving in recklessly or needlessly hand balling inside the box then they won’t be able to get their ‘usual’ penalty?? 

We should ask for their advice on that. They've done none of those things for 2 years, apparently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

When I said their "usual" penalty I meant the one that never was and would never be given against them.

3 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

We should ask for their advice on that. They've done none of those things for 2 years, apparently.

Some times you get strange runs like that in football. I don’t know, maybe in their case with this they have been lucky, maybe they know how to defend without making rash challenges and decisions in the box, who knows? 

2 hours ago, santheman said:

When I said their "usual" penalty I meant the one that never was and would never be given against them.

Oh right so I take it then that you have seen every game Rangers have played this season or at least since VAR was introduced and can list off the numerous penalties that they got that were wrongly awarded and the ones that could have/should have went against them, but didn’t? 

Or are you just parroting the same tired old guff that “all refs are pro-Rangers” and using the “they’ll get a penalty” as a pre-made excuse for us getting beat?

16 minutes ago, MJC said:

Some times you get strange runs like that in football. I don’t know, maybe in their case with this they have been lucky, maybe they know how to defend without making rash challenges and decisions in the box, who knows? 

Yes, McVAR hasn't spotted a single infringement in the Rangers penalty box, but its European cousin has been to Specsavers. 

We all know, because they've always had the benefit of the doubt at either end of the pitch. The incessant, pathetic whining that comes from their ugly sister doesn't change that.

• Like 1