Interim CEO Derek Weir speaks to the fans

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, mio said:

I think if we are all being honest the vast majority of us look at the Wrexham situation with envious eyes. Wrexham is a similar size town, similar size club similar down on its luck town, mining, steel etc etc

they have two owners who I do think have genuinely fell in love with the football and town. If there’s a remote chance of something similar happening to us, you’d be an idiot to say no. 

but I do think this video is pretty much tongue in cheek and is just trying to attract anyone to invest or more Motherwell fans to join the well society.

I very much doubt that Will Smith will be clambering to get a flight to Glasgow any time soon. Our luck we will get Joey Barton wanting to invest. 

Wrexham ain't a similar size club , we wouldn't get 10/12000 every week even if we win the league.

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

I think it’s pretty clear we are not a good investment. As I mentioned earlier, I believe, we are really looking for someone or a group, to support the club financially to the extent that we don’t have to worry about going out of existence and have financial backing to see us through any hard times. 

In effect we are looking for some wealthy person to gift us money without having control. They will be knocking the doors down for that deal.

2 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Exactly, this is amateurish in the extreme. If this is the big idea we are fucked in the long run.

If people think that the video is the big idea then they need to take a breath and think. The big idea is to gain external investment and interest in the club, and the video should be seen as bait, which it is. I concur that it's amateurish, but I think that's the point. It's wound most Motherwell fans up and got others laughing at the club. All press is good press, etc. As I said above, the video has gone viral, so job done. 

15 minutes ago, wellfan said:

If people think that the video is the big idea then they need to take a breath and think. The big idea is to gain external investment and interest in the club, and the video should be seen as bait, which it is. I concur that it's amateurish, but I think that's the point. It's wound most Motherwell fans up and got others laughing at the club. All press is good press, etc. As I said above, the video has gone viral, so job done. 

I can accept that if the video isn't the end of it but what else is being done?

it even made super score board with gordon duncan playing a wee clip then saying it was released at 4pm and by 7,30 it had x amount of hits ,,,,, there aint no bad publicity, just publicity, as said before it might be that shite it will be good shite time will tell

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Wrexham ain't a similar size club , we wouldn't get 10/12000 every week even if we win the league.

Wrexhams average attendances have been “much” smaller than ours over the past 50yrs

only the past 2 seasons have been over ours and they had shot up to 9 and 10k

about 5yrs ago their average was 2500. And had hovered around 3k for about 10yrs before that.

I’ve been to Wrexham a lot over the past 10yrs and when I first started going it was full of Liverpool and Everton supporters. The amount of kids now engaged in the club and women who are now into football has swollen the crowds. Not that I’m saying it would work with us as I doubt the poison in the water in this area would diminish the draw of the rangers fc and celtic 

5 hours ago, mio said:

I’m not sure how to react to that? On one hand I quite like it and think it’s reasonably funny and on the other hand I  hate it and think it’s a bit of a riddy.

time will tell. If it attracts a wealthy investor or more money to the club my riddy will fade quickly.

Thats kind of where Im at with it.

Its incredibly cheesy.

But some folk like cheese.

And some bits were funny......

Edit - and it seems to have worked!

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Love it or loathe it, it is going viral. 

These days Dave, online content usually only goes viral because its hilariously funny, embarrassingly bad, complete shit, downright wrong on multiple levels or a combination of all 4.

That video ticks all the boxes, that's 2 own goals for Bevis mugabi in a week, Easter Rd and now starring in that shambles.

Just when we thought after Derek Weirs statement earlier this week that the governance of the club was not as bad as we thought they produce that shambles a top level football club sanctioning an official press release that ends with," Taylor swift geez yer Dosh" is taking embarrassment to new levels, it really is.

December 2023 Outgoing Club Chairman statement: “We have undertaken a large amount of work and held numerous discussions - the final stages of a fund-raising initiative are almost complete and will be ready to be shared early in the new year.”

So this is the outcome. FFS it would’ve been less embarrassing if they had announced they were going to have a series of bucket collections.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Grew said:

December 2023 Outgoing Club Chairman statement: “We have undertaken a large amount of work and held numerous discussions - the final stages of a fund-raising initiative are almost complete and will be ready to be shared early in the new year.”

So this is the outcome. FFS it would’ve been less embarrassing if they had announced they were going to have a series of bucket collections.

I seriously doubt that one single YouTube video is the outcome of the "large amount of work and numerous discussions" that have taken place.

It'll be part of it, but it won't be the only thing that's done.

11 hours ago, mio said:

Wrexhams average attendances have been “much” smaller than ours over the past 50yrs

only the past 2 seasons have been over ours and they had shot up to 9 and 10k

about 5yrs ago their average was 2500. And had hovered around 3k for about 10yrs before that.

I’ve been to Wrexham a lot over the past 10yrs and when I first started going it was full of Liverpool and Everton supporters. The amount of kids now engaged in the club and women who are now into football has swollen the crowds. Not that I’m saying it would work with us as I doubt the poison in the water in this area would diminish the draw of the rangers fc and celtic 

Good investment and decent marketing can do wonders for a club and i't s fanbase if done correctly.  I moved to Larne 9 and a bit years ago and would go and see the town's football team regularly, who at the time were playing in the lower half of the NI second tier to around 100-150 fans every game, in a stadium that would be condemned by today's standard. Kenny Bruce of Purple Bricks came in and invested a substantial amount in 2017, and last season they won the NIFL Premiership.

The investment has upgraded their ground to one of the best in the league in terms of pitch, facilities and social club, they've introduced an academy that's producing a great calibre of young player, have sold players to English Championship and Premiership teams and have become an attractive proposition for players from over the water.

The biggest difference though is that the fan base, particularly the younger fans and families going along has increased massively and that's in huge part due to the focus that Bruce's investment has had on creating a community club. Their match the other week against Linfield was a sell out and their average home attendance for the season so far is 2100. The Belfast teams hate them. 

So whether it's the Wrexham model of high profile investor off the back of a viral video or someone with pockets deep enough to get the club out of a perceived mire and allow the club to bring the good times back like Larne have, money invested properly in the club will never do any harm.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David said:

I seriously doubt that one single YouTube video is the outcome of the "large amount of work and numerous discussions" that have taken place.

I tend to agree but with this board you can't be sure, that said though even if it is only part of a wider plan the video is a shambles, embarrassing and not something a professional football club should be releasing. Yes it's had over 1 million views but only because its so bad all this any publicity is good shite that people spout is nonsense.

The only impression you get from it is The club is skint and we need cash it makes us look like a local boys team on their annual fundraising drive, 

Yes by all means use social media to advertise and seek out investors but do it properly and professionally two words that don't seem to have any relevance at Fir park just now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The only impression you get from it is The club is skint and we need cash it makes us look like a local boys team on their annual fundraising drive, 

Yes by all means use social media to advertise and seek out investors but do it properly and professionally two words that don't seem to have any relevance at Fir park just now.

How do you advertise and seek out investors on social media without making it glaringly obvious you're looking for money?

37 minutes ago, David said:

I hope you're right; you are probably right. I don't like the video but then again I know nothing about advertising. This type of approach may be the in thing in advertising for all I know. However, I hope after months of planning, work and maybe investment, that there's a lot more to this initiative than that.  I believe it was created by a leading advertising agency. I hope they know what they're doing.