β€‹πŸ†β€‹SC Greenock Morton v Motherwell 09/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

A bitterly disappointing night after the momentum of pumping Ross County. We all thought that it would be the turning point in our season but tonight is a big wake up call. We're still in a relegation battle and as another poster said if we finish in the playoff spot, do we have what it takes to beat teams like Morton with our top flight survival on the line?

Β 

Three very tough fixtures coming up before a trip to Livi. Any points from those 3 games will be a big big bonus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

A bitterly disappointing night after the momentum of pumping Ross County. We all thought that it would be the turning point in our season but tonight is a big wake up call. We're still in a relegation battle and as another poster said if we finish in the playoff spot, do we have what it takes to beat teams like Morton with our top flight survival on the line?

Β 

Three very tough fixtures coming up before a trip to Livi. Any points from those 3 games will be a big big bonus.

I’m sure you didn’t mean it the way it could be read but that a 4 tough fixtures. Our players and staff better get their act together and produce more performances like Tuesday rather than tonight

6 hours ago, Prestwickwell said:

I’m suggesting in my opinion both those teams would batter MortonΒ 

Aberdeen that lost at Darvel last season? Not suggesting that our result against Morton is acceptable but let's not pretend that we're the only top flight club to lose games against lower league sides, particularly away. Is it sore when it happens to us? Aye, but other clubs do it too...

Really poor performance last night.

Anyone who pays any attention to the Championship knows what Dougie Imrie and Morton are all about.

We should have expected a fight and been ready to stand up to it, but we allowed ourselves to he bullied out of the game.

The first goal is a shocker and symptomatic of everything thats been wrong about our season. We just dont defend set pieces and balls from wide areas well enough.

It was all the encouragement Morton needed and allowed them to defend deep and play on the counter.

Agree that the substitutions were strange and didnt provide much impact. Taking Davor off seemed a silly move to me given the type of game it was.

Anyway. Out the cup early again. The team and manager need to dig a couple of results out from somewhere now to ensure we dont get dragged back towards the play off spot.

8 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

What was wrong with the surface - christ it was miles better than Fir Park on Tuesday. Lennon was miles off it tonight, but to lay the blame for it on the pitch is absurd.

That's garbage. The grass might be suffering at home but the surface is still flat. That pitch last night was like the public park, the ball was bobbling all over the shop when we tried to play passes. Just to clarify, I'm not at all blaming the pitch entirely for our lack of performance but it was certainly a contributory factor which suited Morton more than us. I still maintain however that that tie wasn't a game for Miller.

9 hours ago, smiddy said:

does aybody think sk has the baws to drop our captain ???we dont know how good big ox is, but we didnt know how good wee davor was, tell kelly were RESTING him, tell the ox hees got 6 games to settle in and lets get on with it he cant be that bad,,, and all the kelly pant wetters just take a minute and think how many times heez deserved to be dropped and wasnt , well his time has come as it comes to everybody,,,,,, dont thimk sk has got the big bawz but we shall

oh by the way, nearly hameΒ Β  and STILL FUCKIN RAGIN

I agree. He needs to be dropped. Bit I don`t think the manager will, as that would definately end any faint hopes he has of a Euro place.

25 minutes ago, Wellsince1976 said:

I agree. He needs to be dropped. Bit I don`t think the manager will, as that would definately end any faint hopes he has of a Euro place.

First goal is a combination of errors but in general LK doesn't produce enough big saves, I'm sure there's a keeper who could do the same, probably better, for half the moneyΒ 

43 minutes ago, Wellsince1976 said:

So what?! Our league survival is more important than Kelly’s bench-warming summer jolly.Β 

12 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Think you could see the difference when Devine came on

I thought Devine started slowly, being a bit too conservative and staying deep, but he did start to improve. I'd like to see what he can do in 90 minutes.Β 

Buyabu looked so far out of his depth when he came on, however. But he was thrown into a shitshow.Β 

4 minutes ago, wellfan said:

So what?! Our league survival is more important than Kelly’s bench-warming summer jolly.Β 

Exactly. We don’t owe Kelly or the National team anything. We need to do what is best for us as a club, not put ourselves at a disadvantage to help Scotland and our underperforming goalkeeper.

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I thought Devine started slowly, being a bit too conservative and staying deep, but he did start to improve. I'd like to see what he can do in 90 minutes.Β 

Buyabu looked so far out of his depth when he came on, however. But he was thrown into a shitshow.Β 

I'm sure there was one passage of play where Devine drove forward and a gap opened up at the edge of the box and he threaded a nice ball through only for Obika to stand statuesque. We certainly had more forward momentum when he came on.Β 

I thought Buyabu done alright, he is really fast and quite early on he flashed a cross right into a danger area.Β 

If Kelly goes to the Euros we will some cash so can't see h getting dropped.Β 

2 hours ago, wellup83 said:

That's garbage. The grass might be suffering at home but the surface is still flat. That pitch last night was like the public park, the ball was bobbling all over the shop when we tried to play passes. Just to clarify, I'm not at all blaming the pitch entirely for our lack of performance but it was certainly a contributory factor which suited Morton more than us. I still maintain however that that tie wasn't a game for Miller.

You seriously need to go see an optician. Clutching at straws like a few on here. Pitch was fine and better than ours was/is at this moment in time. No excuses Miller was honking but one thing we can agree on this wasn’t the game for him.

It was a bad night and Kettlewell got so many things wrong. Tactics, substitutions etc but at same time the players need to have a look at themselves.

Kelly for me is one player I wouldn't be bothered about if he doesn't sign a new contract.Β  Another howler last night from him.Β  And if we take up option of another year for Obika then that really would be bonkers.Β  Β We really need a response against Aberdeen and get back to how we had been playing the previous games

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

We really need a response against Aberdeen and get back to how we had been playing the previous games

We do, but do you honestly see it happening? Last night could finally be the straw to break the camel's back.Β 

Like all I'm scunnered with that last night. Big Oakley done some damage to our defence .

Miller like others said really struggled with pitch and more importantly the wind as all players struggled to get it down. Their midfield 3 esp 1st half dominated and got ball forward early.Β 

I felt when vale came on 57 mins he looked gd and him and bair were in middle in what was 352 but kettlewell panicked and sent on obika 10 mins later and moved those 2 wider which totally killed any momentum that was building and players not knowing what they were doing. The last 20 mins was like a game up park with your pals with players in positions they didn't know. How Nicholson never got on ill never know.Β 

Butcher let Oakley run 20 yards into box without a tackle. Kelly standing off his line at inswinging corner. Spittal hitting outswinging corners when wind is with us. All just small things but by God amateur players know not to do those things.

I could go on and on but my biggest take is kettlewell picked wrong team (halliday should have been on from start to get stuck in with miller on later) and his subs totally wrecked any cohesion in team. Obika just can't do anything now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Aberdeen that lost at Darvel last season? Not suggesting that our result against Morton is acceptable but let's not pretend that we're the only top flight club to lose games against lower league sides, particularly away. Is it sore when it happens to us? Aye, but other clubs do it too...

How long did Jim Goodman last after that??

53 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

You seriously need to go see an optician. Clutching at straws like a few on here. Pitch was fine and better than ours was/is at this moment in time. No excuses Miller was honking but one thing we can agree on this wasn’t the game for him.

Totally agree , we commented as soon as we arrived that the pitch was in pretty good nick considering their budget. It was flat plenty grass and perfectly playable, no worse than Fir Park is now.

We lost because we were utter shite all over the park.Β  Hoofball right from the off into a strong wind. I seriously wonder about the IQ of your average professional player, after five mins you could see putting the ball in the air was causing us problems but we continued for the entire first half.Β 

A big disappointment for me was the usual fuck up when we get a big crowd. Its happened nearly every time in my 46 years of watching our fuck ups. I heard a couple of people saying this was there first Motherwell game in ages and these folk won't be back. This continual fuck up has a drag and detrimental effect on us ever moving our regular crowds above 3500/4000. I can't blame them for not going. I left with twenty five mins to go. I couldn't stomach watching that shite any longer and I've watched them every week for 46 years. If it's doing that to me we have no chance with less committed fans.Β 

You can bet there will be a few shocks today and the draw will open up , that is also a regular occurrence every time we get fucked out by lower league opposition.Β 

I seriously am questioning why I bother. I was so confident we'd fuck up I stuck money on Morton. We seriously are a fuckin shambles.Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

51 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Like all I'm scunnered with that last night. Big Oakley done some damage to our defence .

Miller like others said really struggled with pitch and more importantly the wind as all players struggled to get it down. Their midfield 3 esp 1st half dominated and got ball forward early.Β 

I felt when vale came on 57 mins he looked gd and him and bair were in middle in what was 352 but kettlewell panicked and sent on obika 10 mins later and moved those 2 wider which totally killed any momentum that was building and players not knowing what they were doing. The last 20 mins was like a game up park with your pals with players in positions they didn't know. How Nicholson never got on ill never know.Β 

Butcher let Oakley run 20 yards into box without a tackle. Kelly standing off his line at inswinging corner. Spittal hitting outswinging corners when wind is with us. All just small things but by God amateur players know not to do those things.

I could go on and on but my biggest take is kettlewell picked wrong team (halliday should have been on from start to get stuck in with miller on later) and his subs totally wrecked any cohesion in team. Obika just can't do anything now.

How can you struggle to get the ball down. It's easy you send a message from your brain to your feet don't put the ball in the air. That's as hard as it gets

18 minutes ago, Prestwickwell said:

How long did Jim Goodman last after that??

One game, a 6 nil defeat. They'd lost their previous league game 5 nil.

Kilmarnock went out to Championship opposition last year. McInnes has been rolled over in the Cup on more than one occasion, as we know. Probably why Aberdeen got rid of him.