2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

Just now, wellgirl said:

If you wipe the slate clean you risk leaving yourself with very limited options apart from youth.

I don't think McGinn is shite and I don't think SOD is either. I think we are all going to have different opinions on that. I think Bevis is very good when he's on his game but when he's off it he's very poor. 

There's been rumours that Dundee utd are looking at Bevis but that's all they are. Plus Kelly has gone too. A new keeper might help the defence situation 

Wiping the slate clean would have allowed us to bring in new players and not just stick with guys that have failed the past season,put defending was pathetic on a weekly basis.it seems like we might be banking on a new keeper being the solution but I dont buy it,kelly was poor last season but is definitely better than what ye showed,where guys like mugqbi have been rotten from the minute they came through the door.hopefully kettlewell has learned and will set us up where were actually interested in defending the wide areas,if it's same again and expecting having a more commanding goalie will make the difference then he's kidding himself on.

13 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

But I wasn't talking about Butcher being offered terms. I was commenting on "wellgirls" attempts to justify why Kettlewell had offered them to Mugabi.

It was just a thought about why Mugabi has been offered terms. If you have an underperforming defence and you offer three of them terms and not the fourth I think that's a pretty strong message you are sending out.

Plus as other people have said. We don't know what the terms are or whether Kettlewell sees Mugabi and others as back up options. Or if Mugabi will accept the terms offered. 

11 minutes ago, mfc said:

Wiping the slate clean would have allowed us to bring in new players and not just stick with guys that have failed the past season,put defending was pathetic on a weekly basis.it seems like we might be banking on a new keeper being the solution but I dont buy it,kelly was poor last season but is definitely better than what ye showed,where guys like mugqbi have been rotten from the minute they came through the door.hopefully kettlewell has learned and will set us up where were actually interested in defending the wide areas,if it's same again and expecting having a more commanding goalie will make the difference then he's kidding himself on.

I don't think Mugabi has been rotten from the off. I just don't think he's progressed. Also - keeping players doesn't mean we won't sign new ones. I'm not surprised at all that SOD and McGinn were offered new terms. 

2 hours ago, TheoBair14 said:

Is Oxbourgh number 1 is the question? 

Worth giving him a chance and you just never know 

We will need another keeper in anyways 

If the rumours about Joe Lewis are true, then it may well be that Oxborough is no.1 with Lewis in a back up role?

20 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I don't think Mugabi has been rotten from the off. I just don't think he's progressed. Also - keeping players doesn't mean we won't sign new ones. I'm not surprised at all that SOD and McGinn were offered new terms. 

We needed a clear out to give us the best chance of improving,the more defenders we keep the more likely it will be the same old story next season.

1 minute ago, mfc said:

We needed a clear out to give us the best chance of improving,the more defenders we keep the more likely it will be the same old story next season.

Butcher is away and the only person who has signed on so far is McGinn. 

8 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Butcher is away and the only person who has signed on so far is McGinn. 

And we're potentially missing out on other targets while we wait on odonnell and mugabi making up there minds,if we do our usual we will still be waiting after the season has started.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mfc said:

And we're potentially missing out on other targets while we wait on odonnell and mugabi making up there minds,if we do our usual we will still be waiting after the season has started.

Im sure there will be a deadline as to when they've to accept or not. Mugabi and SOD aren't the only people still to accept contracts offered to them. Surely players have the right to negotiate and look at any other offers before signing on. That's only fair. 

19 minutes ago, mfc said:

Calm down ffs, the transfer window is not even open yet, it will be the same as every other year weeks of rumours every one of which will be labelled as pish etc. Then we will bring in a few in the last few days and hours, who incidentally will also be labelled pish before they've kicked a ball, it's the Motherwell way.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, mfc said:

You make a fair point. Early days though, as the window is not yet open. We should give the players concerned some time to make their minds up, but not too long. Maybe a couple of weeks or whatever. Then we move on. We need to be in a clear position well before pre season starts. 

If Mugabi has been offered a deal just because every other defender was then it really has gone mad.  I really hope SK is learning from his mistakes but sometimes he really does baffle me.

Anyway long way to go till start of season so let's see what kind of squad we have.  If it's poor and we have a bad start to the season then he will be away, simple as that 

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If Mugabi has been offered a deal just because every other defender was then it really has gone mad.  I really hope SK is learning from his mistakes but sometimes he really does baffle me.

Anyway long way to go till start of season so let's see what kind of squad we have.  If it's poor and we have a bad start to the season then he will be away, simple as that 

To be fair it was me that suggested that - and it's likely not the case given he sees the players much more than any of us.

I would have thought it a bit odd though given the rest of the defence were offered terms if Mugabi wasn't. Particularly as Butcher who featured far less than he did was offered a new contract. (I don't know anyone at Fir Park and have zero inside info). 

I also don't think he'll be away if we have a bad start to the season - we often don't start the season well irrespective of who is or isn't playing. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

That scenario did occur to me, although it would seem very strange. Making very public offers to players for some hidden reason, in the knowledge that they wouldn't accept them. 

Or maybe it's as simple as retain them if they take a wage cut. And so reduce the wage bill overall. Finance ahead of quality which may well be a line SK has had to go along with. As well as referring to a Takeover, Caldwell also stated we cannot continue making losses each season. His words, not mine. (before Steelboy tells me we have millions in the Bank.)

47 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Or maybe it's as simple as retain them if they take a wage cut. And so reduce the wage bill overall. Finance ahead of quality which may well be a line SK has had to go along with. As well as referring to a Takeover, Caldwell also stated we cannot continue making losses each season. His words, not mine. (before Steelboy tells me we have millions in the Bank.)

We need to find a team of Theo Bairs 🤣 not suggesting Theo isn't quality, the opposite. Actually depending on how the investment talks go we might have some more money to spend (or possibly not if the offer isn't suitable). 

26 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

We need to find a team of Theo Bairs 🤣 not suggesting Theo isn't quality, the opposite. Actually depending on how the investment talks go we might have some more money to spend (or possibly not if the offer isn't suitable). 

I don't know about having money to spend, but if the investment talks come to nought, then we'll benefit financially from the Society proposal - no?

44 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't know about having money to spend, but if the investment talks come to nought, then we'll benefit financially from the Society proposal - no?

Yeah I hope so. In other news renewing my season ticket is going to be so much fun. I can't renew online as I'm a student. I'm just hoping my mum can take the proof I need to show and do it for me. 

12 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Yeah I hope so. In other news renewing my season ticket is going to be so much fun. I can't renew online as I'm a student.

If you spend half as much time studying as you do posting on here, you'll sail through your exams! :wink:

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

If you spend half as much time studying as you do posting on here, you'll sail through your exams! :wink:

I've only got two essays to go to finish the year... And I need to pass them both to finish this year (no pressure). I've been derailed slightly this week with studying  because of my broken leg. (Hard to explain... The pain. But I do need to crack on). Crack maybe being the wrong word. 

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

well that would be my expectation, the WS say they have plans so lets see them .

I'd also like to know what the well society option is going to be 

“Offered a new contract” could be three irn bru bottles and two freddo bars every week . Being offered a contract that if you accept suits us very well and if you dont like it then bye bye . It all depends on whats offered , may be good business sense by us.

I sincerely hope any talk of us signing Joe Lewis is quashed sooner rather than later. That guy is the worst goalkeeper I've seen play against us in my lifetime. I don't remember seeing a goalkeeper make so many successive blunders against us as he has.