2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

13 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I think some on here have an unrealistic view of just how much a typical Motherwell player earns. We are now used to describing your average footballers wages in the 10's of thousands etc but for me I think that's fantasy land when discussing Motherwell. There may be 1 or 2 senior players on maybe 2 or 3k a week, but I believe the vast majority of the squad are on significantly lower wages than that so £600 a week may be nearer the truth.

Aye, I'd be inclined to agree with that. There are a lot more benefits as well; car schemes, accommodation paid for, performance related bonuses etc. so the equivalent "take home" is probably higher as an overall value but not so much in salary terms.

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

He won't be on big money...mind no one wanted to touch him including a lot of our fans and he was a

" project" ....quite ironic we are now having this thread...won't work out but let's give guys a chance before we write them off

It's been said publicly in the press  that he's one of our lowest paid players and that he took a drop in wages to come to us. 

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I think some on here have an unrealistic view of just how much a typical Motherwell player earns. We are now used to describing your average footballers wages in the 10's of thousands etc but for me I think that's fantasy land when discussing Motherwell. There may be 1 or 2 senior players on maybe 2 or 3k a week, but I believe the vast majority of the squad are on significantly lower wages than that so £600 a week may be nearer the truth.

Boys at Airdrie are on more than 600quid a week

According to Weir we are at roughly 50% of Turnover for player wages so around £3m. We have another £2m in non playing wages.

So it's around £58,000 per week on player wages. It's pretty obvious who is being unrealistic here. 

As far as us having the 3rd lowest wage bill it's doesn't seem likely. Ross County, St Mirren and Killie have both reported lower wage bills than in the last set of accounts. Livi and St Johnstone don't publish full accounts but will be lower.

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

According to Weir we are at roughly 50% of Turnover for player wages so around £3m. We have another £2m in non playing wages.

So it's around £58,000 per week on player wages. It's pretty obvious who is being unrealistic here. 

So how much is Bair on? 

9 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Around 2.5k a week according to earlier press reports 

That seems really high as I would imagine our top earners would be nearer that, ie. SOD, Slattery, Kelly

But again I am just guessing, I don't know any inside info

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Boys at Airdrie are on more than 600quid a week

The who gets what per week debate at whatever club etc is pointless as it's all uniformed bullshit guessing from all of us the only people who know for sure are the actual players and the clubs wages department. 

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

Around 2.5k a week according to earlier press reports 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

That seems really high as I would imagine our top earners would be nearer that, ie. SOD, Slattery, Kelly

Taking £58K per week as the correct total for wages, we currently have a first team squad of around 24 players listed, so that averages out at just under £2.5K per player. That doesn't include the development guys like Wells, Ferrie, and Ross, assuming their wages are part of the 58K total. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Youre right could actually be 2.5k a month. I'll need to look it up but think thats more likely. Pretty sure it is around 2.5k a month Bair is on. Don't ask me why I said a week. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, wellfan said:

If Bair continues to improve and score more goals, his goal contribution alone could be worth more than £750K in cup runs and league placing next season.

The best-case scenario would be that he signs a one-year extension on improved personal terms until the end of season 2025/26, he performs like a Messi/Haaland hybrid next season, then is sold for 4x that figure next summer. 

Or we sell him this summer for £750K, spend it on a few English lower-league jobbers, then hope that Moses becomes Messi(ah) next season. 

That's a big "if" though, isn't it? As I said earlier, we don't know what our team will look like next season. Will Bair be as effective without the likes of Spittal in midfield? 

What if he picks up an injury? What if, and I hope it's not true, this season is his "Van Veen season"? 

£750,000 is a fair price for a guy who's really done nothing of note until this season. Any team paying that would basically be taking a punt on him. Sure, English teams can spend more, but would they spend more on a guy who has one good season in seven under his belt?

6 hours ago, wellgirl said:

It's been said publicly in the press  that he's one of our lowest paid players and that he took a drop in wages to come to us. 

He didn't really take a drop in wages though. He didn't force a move from St Johnstone to join us, he agreed to terminate his contract by mutual consent with the club because they deemed him a waste of time and money and he wasn't getting much game time promised to him. 

So, when he signed for us a month or so later he was basically earning nothing. I doubt there was a whole lot of teams blowing up his agents phone wanting to pay him more than we were offering either.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

Did he get a pay off, i.e. have St Johnstone effectively paid his salary this year and we are topping it up with the buttons that was reported earlier in the season.

If his contract was terminated by St Johnstone, then yes, he would have received a pay off from them. 

29 minutes ago, ropy said:

Did he get a pay off, i.e. have St Johnstone effectively paid his salary this year and we are topping it up with the buttons that was reported earlier in the season.

I imagine he's likely gotten anywhere between 30%-70% of the total value left on his contract paid to him. 

18 hours ago, David said:

That's a big "if" though, isn't it? As I said earlier, we don't know what our team will look like next season. Will Bair be as effective without the likes of Spittal in midfield? 

What if he picks up an injury? What if, and I hope it's not true, this season is his "Van Veen season"? 

£750,000 is a fair price for a guy who's really done nothing of note until this season. Any team paying that would basically be taking a punt on him. Sure, English teams can spend more, but would they spend more on a guy who has one good season in seven under his belt?

He didn't really take a drop in wages though. He didn't force a move from St Johnstone to join us, he agreed to terminate his contract by mutual consent with the club because they deemed him a waste of time and money and he wasn't getting much game time promised to him. 

So, when he signed for us a month or so later he was basically earning nothing. I doubt there was a whole lot of teams blowing up his agents phone wanting to pay him more than we were offering either.

Well daft them though eh 😏. Given that he's hit form

29 minutes ago, TheoBair14 said:

Heard it might be Dylan Easton 

30 years old never played in the top league, scores a few goals but not exactly prolific. I don't think he'd be a direct replacement for Spittal but our midfield has been a problem for years now, so hopefully this has finally been recognised. He has plenty of experience so that's a bonus. As always if he is coming on board he will be judged on how he performs.

9 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

30 years old never played in the top league, scores a few goals but not exactly prolific. I don't think he'd be a direct replacement for Spittal but our midfield has been a problem for years now, so hopefully this has finally been recognised. He has plenty of experience so that's a bonus. As always if he is coming on board he will be judged on how he performs.

Your last sentence applies to yourself i assume, since I’ve been on this site a few years now and I almost fell over when I read that. Or does it need a sarcastic emoji there to clarify? 😃

36 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Your last sentence applies to yourself i assume, since I’ve been on this site a few years now and I almost fell over when I read that. Or does it need a sarcastic emoji there to clarify? 😃

No emoji required, I always judge players on how they perform, don't always get it right as I thought Bair was brutal but he's a great example of how new players should get time to settle and prove themselves instead of being written of as shite after 5 minutes.

• Like 1

That easton is a really talented player by all accounts but has had attitude problems throughout his career but has really screwed the head the last couple of years.

37 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

If true, where does that leave Sam Nicholson? Would there be room for both?

Nicholson hasn’t exactly impressed during his time with us, and I think his contract situation in the States is a little complex, so who knows where that leaves him. He signed a 2.5 year deal until winter 2024 with Colorado Rapids, although he was waived in January which allowed him to sign a short-term deal with us. I'd probably rather have Easton in the Spittal position than Nicholson.