Hearts v Motherwell 17/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

13 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

If he was rested, which you don't know for sure, why is it unacceptable? 

Because if he was rested for any other reason than being injured then it’s unacceptable to not involve our best player.

I’m not getting into a debate about this because I’ve said what I think and I stand by it so I’m saying no more about it. 

19 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

If he was rested, which you don't know for sure, why is it unacceptable? 

Kettlewell quoted before the game that Spittal got a knock on the knee midweek with significant swelling. Butcher out with a groin issue.

33 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Our forum no doubt will have loads of moans tonight but the sellik one should be even better!! Hopefully we can add more pressure on Rodgers next week 

Who are you kidding? Rodger’s will be rubbing his hands in anticipation, I fully expect we will be royally pumped if we play like the clueless kettle tactics of today..ie none 
No creativity, Davor on his own in the middle, Casey decent, Devine okay, SOD a pushover, Tarts passed us off the pitch today.

We were never getting 3 points today against high-flying Hearts, and by the sounds of things, we made it easy for them with their goals. It also seems we engaged kitchen sink mode at the end, with Bair, Ferrie, Obika, and Mugabi (according to the radio) all playing up front. Is Kettlewell starting to panic, or is that his plan B? I don't know; I only followed on the radio.

We have three games across seven days coming up. Celtic (H), Livi (A) and Rangers (A). How many points will we take?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJC said:

Because if he was rested for any other reason than being injured then it’s unacceptable to not involve our best player.

I’m not getting into a debate about this because I’ve said what I think and I stand by it so I’m saying no more about it. 

I'm not suggesting anything has happened, but I think we all understand there are certain personal circumstances that would see a player 'rested'.

You don't want to get into a debate, but you're happy enough to insinuate Kettlewell might have dropped Spittal for absolutely no reason, with zero evidence he did. Fair enough.

Just now, bobbybingo said:

I'm not suggesting anything has happened, but I think we all understand there are certain personal circumstances that would see a player 'rested'.

You don't want to get into a debate, but you're happy enough to insinuate Kettlewell might have dropped Spittal for absolutely no reason, with zero evidence he did. Fair enough.

To be fair to MJC he did say “if that was the case” 

10 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Marking at Shankland’s goal is horrendous, best striker in the league and he gets a free header, school boy stuff

Or perhaps he's the best striker in the league because he's good at losing his markers.

11 minutes ago, MJC said:

Best we get used to playing without spittel anyway since he’s off to the MFC B team in Paisley 

12 minutes ago, Motherwell Daft said:

Who are you kidding? Rodger’s will be rubbing his hands in anticipation, I fully expect we will be royally pumped if we play like the clueless kettle tactics of today..ie none 
No creativity, Davor on his own in the middle, Casey decent, Devine okay, SOD a pushover, Tarts passed us off the pitch today.

I don't expect anything but I will say we got a draw at Parkhead and should have rescued a point at fir park 

3 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

It was me that suggested that Spittal had been rested because I saw that elsewhere on social media but someone else later on the Motherwell Facebook page said he failed a fitness test this morning. Folk were also saying Butcher was suspended but apparently it was injury that kept him out. 

We set our stall out to stifle Hearts and counter . Did ok first half 

started 2’d half well but completely toothless in front of goal , simply didn’t take our chances . 

Davor gave away a needless free kick - like he does . 
Led to them putting in a ball that caught mugabi flat footed - like what happens in many games . Shankland scores and from there only going to be on winner .

Plan B , putting on all strikers and taking off midfield players is simply folly . 

hearts deserved their win today 

Just now, wellgirl said:

It was me that suggested that Spittal had been rested because I saw that elsewhere on social media but someone else later on the Motherwell Facebook page said he failed a fitness test this morning. Folk were also saying Butcher was suspended but apparently it was injury that kept him out. 

Yeah, Kettlewell just confirmed Spittal's injured too.

We are such a frustrating team to watch. We do so many good things in a game and then feck it up by doing some really stupid shit.

We defended well as a team today for tge most part. Hearts have some gifted players and we kept our discipline well and made them play round about us.

The only save Kelly had to make in the first half was McGinns header which he was trying to deflect over the bar.

Second half we started really smartly on the front foot and put them under a fair bit of pressure. There were a fair few chances to get the ball in the net but we couldnt take any of them.

Ultimately we paid for that. Hearts made some positive changes. Vargas being the pick of the bunch. He looks a dangerous player. 

That said the first goal is typical of our season. Straightforward free kick and we let the best striker in the league get a free header at it. I like Mugabi, but his one job in the team is to win headers and he let Shankland get the better if him.

The second goal is a sucker punch in injury time. We were throwing everyone (even Mugabi) forward. Thought SODs was pushed in the back in the run up. Maybe he should be stronger, but Decine got given a foul against seconds earlier for literally nothing. There is no consistency with these things and it makes a mockery of VAR.

Overall, decent performance at a difficult venue. Spittal would have made a difference. Hope whatever his issue is it isnt serious and we see him next week. We will need him. 

Not sure what more SK can do about our defending. Team were clearly well drilled today on their gameplan but individual errors keep costing us. Just need to tough it out until the summer until we can change personnel.

• Like 1

Poor defending has cost us yet again.we have more defenders on our books than we need and yet it's the same old story every week no matter who plays,the sooner this season is by and we see the back of most of them the better.

4 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Spittal would have made a difference. Hope whatever his issue is it isnt serious and we see him next week. We will need him.

If there is a shadow of doubt about his fitness I'd rest him next weekend, as I would with any player who has a niggle or burnt out. To all intents and purpose Livingston is the crucial game. 

Today was always going to be difficult against Hearts who will finish 3rd,  despite what Killie might think. One or two inexperienced "wobbles" from SK, though. Fortunately they didn't make any difference at all to the result and little difference to the scoreline.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We are such a frustrating team to watch. We do so many good things in a game and then feck it up by doing some really stupid shit.

We defended well as a team today for tge most part. Hearts have some gifted players and we kept our discipline well and made them play round about us.

The only save Kelly had to make in the first half was McGinns header which he was trying to deflect over the bar.

Second half we started really smartly on the front foot and put them under a fair bit of pressure. There were a fair few chances to get the ball in the net but we couldnt take any of them.

Ultimately we paid for that. Hearts made some positive changes. Vargas being the pick of the bunch. He looks a dangerous player. 

That said the first goal is typical of our season. Straightforward free kick and we let the best striker in the league get a free header at it. I like Mugabi, but his one job in the team is to win headers and he let Shankland get the better if him.

The second goal is a sucker punch in injury time. We were throwing everyone (even Mugabi) forward. Thought SODs was pushed in the back in the run up. Maybe he should be stronger, but Decine got given a foul against seconds earlier for literally nothing. There is no consistency with these things and it makes a mockery of VAR.

Overall, decent performance at a difficult venue. Spittal would have made a difference. Hope whatever his issue is it isnt serious and we see him next week. We will need him. 

Not sure what more SK can do about our defending. Team were clearly well drilled today on their gameplan but individual errors keep costing us. Just need to tough it out until the summer until we can change personnel.

good summary as always . 

Re your who we solve the defence.  I thought Casey made a difference and would keep him in the team.  

The simple answer is drop Mugabi.   Neither Butcher or Mugabi would be in my first 11.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We never do anything the easy way that's for sure 

I keep watching goal difference, and ours should be better, it is at mid-league level. Suely the forward line is more where the problem lies. I'm not defending the back, but a few more goals for would have made a bigger difference.

34 minutes ago, wellfan said:

We were never getting 3 points today against high-flying Hearts, and by the sounds of things, we made it easy for them with their goals. It also seems we engaged kitchen sink mode at the end, with Bair, Ferrie, Obika, and Mugabi (according to the radio) all playing up front. Is Kettlewell starting to panic, or is that his plan B? I don't know; I only followed on the radio.

We have three games across seven days coming up. Celtic (H), Livi (A) and Rangers (A). How many points will we take?

One