Dundee v Motherwell 6/4/2024

Kmcalpin

Outside of County away and an old firm game or two, we have been in every game, and have shown we have the guts to fight until the final whistle. We have rarely let the heads go down, and have shown we are capable of very good attacking play. All despite a shit run of bad injuries. We also make the mistakes a lower/mid table team makes.

We've tended to favor having strength come on from the bench, rather than blow our load on the starting XI, and that's not uncommon these days now that there's 5 subs, and it worked for us again today. We have also stuck to our guns with easing players back in after injuries, such as Miller and SOD today.

The first half today was even, with Dundee taking the one chance we gifted them, and us snatching at half chances.

We dominated the 2nd half and it looked like our luck wasn't going to be in, then we got the penalty wich is a stonewaller by today's rules (as much as I disagree with them). Gent showed excellent awareness to stick away the rebound, and in the end it could have been 4 or 5 easily.

• Thanks 2

The result does paper over some cracks but that is a discussion for another day and the summer contract discussions. Incredible spirit and comeback. Defending of a level that would shame a pub team and we've been doing it all season but a huge 3 points and just a game and result to be enjoyed at this minute. If we'd won that game 6-2  it would not have flattered us. Even when we were utter shite in the first half Dundee didn't test Kelly that much. Our two gifts should have had them over the line but thankfully the team cancelled out the piss poor defending.

Still amazing to see that, apart from The Cheeks, we are top scorers in the league. Personally I like to see our goals being spread around rather  depending on a KVV-type.

Let's all get down to FP next Saturday  and get behind the team.

"Mon The Dossers!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stv said:

Over the season his starting tactics have generally been crap. How many time do we loose the first goal and are shite in the first half.  But fair play to him he has changed a lot of games by tactical switches but thats usually when hes seen the game pan out and when we are down by a goal or two. Think how well we would be doing if he could manage the first half of a game better. Hence so many draws.

How about giving the halftime talk before kickoff.

If only it were that simple, eh? 

The current manager has probably had to work with one of the smallest playing budgets our club has had in recent times. That's clearly reflected in the players we have. 

There are a lot of reasons why we don't start some games all that well. Factors such as early goals, injuries, or unexpected opposition tactics all necessitate on-the-fly adaptations by the manager. That applies to all managers of all teams, of course. There are times when we start a game really well, and it's then on the opposition coaching team to work out a way to combat that. I mean, generally, one of the two teams in any game has to start off as the better side. So there's a 50/50 chance it will be us.

Many people seem to overlook the fact that the opposition's response adds another layer of complexity. We don't operate in a vacuum. It's not just about what we do. The opposition plays a part in the game as well. They may make tactical changes during the game, requiring the manager to react accordingly, which Kettlewell has shown on a few occasions he's more than capable of doing.

How many fans of clubs do you hear moaning about no "plan B"? Well, that's not really a problem for us, as Kettlewell has shown he has the ability to read and react to a number of circumstances, which considering the quality and budget he has available, is admirable on its own.

I'd go as far as to say that a top six finish with the current squad we have would be nothing short of astounding. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, David said:

The current manager has probably had to work with one of the smallest playing budgets our club has had in recent times. That's clearly reflected in the players we have. 

There are a lot of reasons why we don't start some games all that well. Factors such as early goals, injuries, or unexpected opposition tactics all necessitate on-the-fly adaptations by the manager. That applies to all managers of all teams, of course. There are times when we start a game really well, and it's then on the opposition coaching team to work out a way to combat that. I mean, generally, one of the two teams in any game has to start off as the better side. So there's a 50/50 chance it will be us.

Many people seem to overlook the fact that the opposition's response adds another layer of complexity. We don't operate in a vacuum. It's not just about what we do. The opposition plays a part in the game as well. They may make tactical changes during the game, requiring the manager to react accordingly, which Kettlewell has shown on a few occasions he's more than capable of doing.

How many fans of clubs do you hear moaning about no "plan B"? Well, that's not really a problem for us, as Kettlewell has shown he has the ability to read and react to a number of circumstances, which considering the quality and budget he has available, is admirable on its own.

I'd go as far as to say that a top six finish with the current squad we have would be nothing short of astounding. 

Great post, after the 3-3 game at Pittodrie there were posters claiming that Kettlewell should have changed things at 3-0 up, today, there are posters claiming our starting XI was all wrong.

Make your F###ing minds up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David said:

If it was easy everyone would be doing it no just like us typing opinions with no consequences.

Its up to him to sort out the first half performance thats our obvious weak spot. What your using as , reasons , applies to all the other teams in the leauge as well.Would be interesting to see thetimes this season we started the second half at least goal down or not in the lead . Its glaringly obvious he has to do something to improve the first half performances. Maybe hes still learning but i still think its overthinking tactics and what opposition will do before a ball is kicked.

1 hour ago, stv said:

If it was easy everyone would be doing it no just like us typing opinions with no consequences.

Its up to him to sort out the first half performance thats our obvious weak spot. What your using as , reasons , applies to all the other teams in the leauge as well.Would be interesting to see thetimes this season we started the second half at least goal down or not in the lead . Its glaringly obvious he has to do something to improve the first half performances. Maybe hes still learning but i still think its overthinking tactics and what opposition will do before a ball is kicked.

If you read what the Dundee fans are saying, their complaint is the opposite of ours - how many times they've taken the lead and failed to hold onto it. 

It would be great to start games strongly more often, but that's this league for you I suppose, riddled with inconsistency.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wellfan said:

If we walk off, the abandonment will be on us and Dundee can claim it wasn't their fault. Don't give the bogmonsters the satisfaction and smash them instead. 

The bogmonsters were smashed 👍

That 90mins probably summed up our whole season.

A complete roller coaster of a ride going through every emotion under the sun from despair to elation.

Currently enjoying a pint with some Dundee and Dundee Utd fans in Dundee city centre and what they're saying about their teams could be lifted straight from our forum.

One thing I've learned from today is never to post anything during a game because it will inevitably come back and bite you on the arse.

MJC Yodo and Steelboy take note🫠

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, stv said:

Of course it's up to him to sort out how we start games. But that doesn't mean that the reasons I provided are any less valid, and yes, other teams in the league do face the same issues. 

We'll start some games well, and we'll start some games badly. Like most other teams in our league. We're a small club with a small budget, and the players we sign will very likely be inconsistent, which is why they're playing for Motherwell and not a bigger club. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Of course it's up to him to sort out how we start games. But that doesn't mean that the reasons I provided are any less valid, and yes, other teams in the league do face the same issues. 

We'll start some games well, and we'll start some games badly. Like most other teams in our league. We're a small club with a small budget, and the players we sign will very likely be inconsistent, which is why they're playing for Motherwell and not a bigger club. 

Agree

44 minutes ago, stv said:

I think SK is brilliant. For all his mistakes. 

• Like 1

Some posters on this site really piss me off. Steelboy, Yoda and MJC all over the site when we are losing and silent when we turn it around and win. Why comment negatively about a club I love but say nothing when we win. Whatever people think of Kettlewell, he has the players behind him and makes the adjustments that sometimes turns a game. That today means arithmetically we won't finish 12th and if we beat Ross Co after the split or if we finish top six we won't get relegated . Be happy.

• Like 2

IMG_3562.thumb.png.a124d7be5fad474717b71274601da098.pngWe didn’t start playing till about 40 mins but much better second half.  Less said about their second goal the better, against the run of play and thought it was our undoing at that point. However, we get a bit of luck with VAR for a change and that fires us up. While there’s more than stats to a performance they do make good reading when backed up with a 3-2 win and would support the phrase “a well deserved win”. 

12 hours ago, David said:

The problem with our squad is Lamie, Tierney, Maguire, McGinley, Obika, Wilkinson, Elliott and Shaw.

Change them for a decent centre half and centre mid and we'd easily be top six. 

Loving the comeback and it gives us another glimmer of hope that we'll make top 6. 

The issue for me is the spine of the team. A strong keeper, centre half, centre mid, centre forward are always key.  The first 3 are missing.  

We never dominate midfield and teams put in cheap crosses week in week out where we concede. 

I don't know how the inner workings of the club work but I don't trust Dawes to be the man to lead our recruitment 

11 hours ago, sinjy said:

Some posters on this site really piss me off. Steelboy, Yoda and MJC all over the site when we are losing and silent when we turn it around and win. Why comment negatively about a club I love but say nothing when we win. Whatever people think of Kettlewell, he has the players behind him and makes the adjustments that sometimes turns a game. That today means arithmetically we won't finish 12th and if we beat Ross Co after the split or if we finish top six we won't get relegated . Be happy.

I get where you're coming from Sinjy, but everyone is different. Folk can show support in different ways, handle defeats in different ways, and handle disappointments in different ways. Its important not to throw the baby out with the bathwater though. Most of the names you mention can make very valid points at times, although we may not agree with how they're expressed. That said, I get Yabbas Turd's recent comment about posts that the mods delete (You and your colleagues do a good job Iain - largely unseen by many including me). 

Steelboy's recent post this morning is a case in point - although succint, thought provoking comments about squad deficiencies.      

55 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Loving the comeback and it gives us another glimmer of hope that we'll make top 6. 

The issue for me is the spine of the team. A strong keeper, centre half, centre mid, centre forward are always key.  The first 3 are missing.  

We never dominate midfield and teams put in cheap crosses week in week out where we concede. 

I don't know how the inner workings of the club work but I don't trust Dawes to be the man to lead our recruitment 

Having just seen the highlights for both goals conceded, I am not in the least bit surprised at the two free headers for their 1st goal or Kelly's flapping at their 2nd goal. Poor central defence and weak goalkeeping have been our main Achilles' heel all season, and the former could've been addressed in January, but it wasn't, and that still pisses me off. Had it been, and given how the season has played out for us and the teams around us, we would likely already have a top 6 place confirmed. 

Two great goals from Theo and Moses, however. 

• Like 1

On the journey home now after an overnight in Dundee, thank god the game was on. Park didn't seem to cut up, but certainly parts of it were damaged. Couldn't believe our stats and shots, corners etc. Poor defending and Kelly selling another cost us, hear he's booked a holiday for June, because on that showing, he's not in the euro squad. Tremendous comeback and support, which would have been bigger if the go ahead was earlier. Thanks to Dundees goalie for waisting time that got added, plus a big piss of to the Dundee stewards especially the wee wummin for pushing the players away from celebrations with the fans. Anyway on to next week, hope we have a large home support. You all know the script, we go in at half time 1 down after poor defending and second half score 2 to win, simples.