Dundee v Motherwell 6/4/2024

Kmcalpin

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Having just seen the highlights for both goals conceded, I am not in the least bit surprised at the two free headers for their 1st goal or Kelly's flapping at their 2nd goal. Poor central defence and weak goalkeeping have been our main Achilles' heel all season, and the former could've been addressed in January, but it wasn't, and that still pisses me off. Had it been, and given how the season has played out for us and the teams around us, we would likely already have a top 6 place confirmed. 

Two great goals from Theo and Moses, however. 

Kelly can leave us in the summer and really it's no big loss easily replaced in my view and replace on a much cheaper wage and still be as effective.

Sure the defence has been up and down but by Christ alot of goals we have lost should have been stopped and Kelly hasn't been anywhere near them.

Sure he has had his good games with us but after this season think it's time us and Kelly part ways we 100 percent needed a commanding GK and Kelly just isn't it.

Also never make a GK captain ever again!

• Like 1

Not excusing the defenders for their failings, but you can never underestimate the effect a shaky goalkeeper who won't come for crosses has on those around him. Stevie Woods managed to spook far better players than we currently have.

Could get panned here but I’d take that big Livi. keeper, at times I think he’s looked excellent this season and if it wasn’t for him their goals against figure would be double what it is just now.

i think he has shown enough to get a crack with a bigger side.

52 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Moses quoth "Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants."

He taught Dundee a lesson all right.

Is that Bible Speak for "he pissed on their chips?" 🤣

We could get a goalie who would consistently make the same mistakes as Kelly but be on half his wages, and that would be about right for our level. However, we've been paying a premium for an average product for a while now, and it's likely prevented us from being able to strengthen the squad elsewhere. He's also been undroppable because of his high wage and captaincy. He needs to move on or be moved on at the end of his contract because I don't see him accepting a pay cut.

19 minutes ago, wellfan said:

We could get a goalie who would consistently make the same mistakes as Kelly but be on half his wages, and that would be about right for our level. However, we've been paying a premium for an average product for a while now, and it's likely prevented us from being able to strengthen the squad elsewhere. He's also been undroppable because of his high wage and captaincy. He needs to move on or be moved on at the end of his contract because I don't see him accepting a pay cut.

Going on his performances this year I dont see many "bigger" teams desperate to sign him so he might end up having to take a pay cut regardless.

Whether that would be with us or another team is another question but probably best for him to move on to pastures new and try to rediscover his early form.

3 minutes ago, santheman said:

Going on his performances this year I dont see many "bigger" teams desperate to sign him so he might end up having to take a pay cut regardless.

Whether that would be with us or another team is another question but probably best for him to move on to pastures new and try to rediscover his early form.

Im not sure its about form.  It's more teams have sussed him out and attack the obvious weakness.. 

He's a very good shot stopper but poor with crosses, particularly in the 3-6 yard line.  

It's poor management that knowing our captain can't deal with crosses we've not added centre halves Feels like an age since we had likes Aldred, Hartley or Gallagher who all gave much better protection.

16 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Im not sure its about form.  It's more teams have sussed him out and attack the obvious weakness.. 

He's a very good shot stopper but poor with crosses, particularly in the 3-6 yard line.  

It's poor management that knowing our captain can't deal with crosses we've not added centre halves Feels like an age since we had likes Aldred, Hartley or Gallagher who all gave much better protection.

Very true but for all we know maybe he tried to sign another centre half in January but it was just that none were available, we'll probably never know.

My memory isn't as good as it was but I don't remember him being particularly shite at crosses in his first season with us but maybe he was?

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Partly why, despite all his faults, I think we need Bevis in there. He is the only commanding centre half we have. In the centre of a 3 when all he needs to do is head and kick it, he does just fine. Its when he is in the wider position or in a 2 and his positional sense is tested he tends to get caught out.

Got to laugh. People want the manager to quit at half time.

Beat Rangers at Ibrox, what a few weeks ago?

Eighth in the league, budget lowered, safe as houses soon.

God help us if were losing 1-0 at half time against Hibs on Saturday. Morons can't even wait until full time anymore.

Probably the same tadgers that get bored half way through a 10 second clip on Instagram.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wunderwell said:

Got to laugh. People want the manager to quit at half time.

Beat Rangers at Ibrox, what a few weeks ago?

Eighth in the league, budget lowered, safe as houses soon.

God help us if were losing 1-0 at half time against Hibs on Saturday. Morons can't even wait until full time anymore.

Probably the same tadgers that get bored half way through a 10 second clip on Instagram.

Its kind of a reflection of where society is now. 

Too many want instant gratification.

For all the positives of social media, this is the huge negative.

Football has always been an emotional game, but back in the day you just vented your frustration at the match or disected the performance  over a pint with your mates afterwards in the pub.

Now everyone has the ability to publish those thoughts immediately and thats not necessarily a good thing.

Not a big fan of posting during a game as Im usually too engrossed in it to be bothered with my phone.

It is good to debate things before and after though, particularly for those of us who dont live in the local area and dont meet any other Motherwell fans on a day to day basis.

• Like 1

I see dundee have posted nearly a £3 million loss for the past year and expect similar next year,clearly they have been overspending on player wages again as none of it is going on there pitch,that's one club that never seems to learn a lesson when it comes to finances.

45 minutes ago, mfc said:

I see dundee have posted nearly a £3 million loss for the past year and expect similar next year,clearly they have been overspending on player wages again as none of it is going on there pitch,that's one club that never seems to learn a lesson when it comes to finances.

They also appear to owe £6.3m to shareholders in what I presume are "soft loans"........

I think its fair to say the investor model doesnt come without a price tag.

Devil is always in the detail.

5 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Its kind of a reflection of where society is now. 

Too many want instant gratification.

For all the positives of social media, this is the huge negative.

Football has always been an emotional game, but back in the day you just vented your frustration at the match or disected the performance  over a pint with your mates afterwards in the pub.

Now everyone has the ability to publish those thoughts immediately and thats not necessarily a good thing.

Not a big fan of posting during a game as Im usually too engrossed in it to be bothered with my phone.

It is good to debate things before and after though, particularly for those of us who dont live in the local area and dont meet any other Motherwell fans on a day to day basis.

I usually have steelmen open and will comment during games. Since I’m sitting watching it by myself most times it’s as close as I get to being able to talk about moments in the game as they happen. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

They also appear to owe £6.3m to shareholders in what I presume are "soft loans"........

I think its fair to say the investor model doesnt come without a price tag.

Devil is always in the detail.

So they are approx. 12 million in the hole?? Where do they think they are getting the money to make that up???

39 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

So they are approx. 12 million in the hole?? Where do they think they are getting the money to make that up???

It looks to be about £9.2m all in if correct.

Still a hefty sum.

Given United are also reported to be wracking up losses and are reportedly around £10m in debt to their "investor" I think folks need to re-assess why they think "fan ownership" is failing........

2 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Still a hefty sum.

Given United are also reported to be wracking up losses and are reportedly around £10m in debt to their "investor" I think folks need to re-assess why they think "fan ownership" is failing........

Fan ownership does work if the fanbase is big enough ie Hearts, have a look on their website site  at the amount they have raised so far over £16 million ffs.

Unfortunately given our support base we will never get remotely near that sort of cash, I also get the impression that it's on a much more professional basis than the WS, but that's something the WS can improve and get right.

16 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Still a hefty sum.

I wouldn't say it's failing - just that we don't have enough money coming into the club.