389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer has just left Man Utd to take over at Molde so I don't see why McClair wouldn't do the same! Don't know if I would fancy that appointment tho, very inexperienced managerial wise and would require a strong number 2!

The belief in Manchester is that Ole is being groomed.

He has only left to get some managerial experience under his belt, to see how he handles things in a different environment. Given that Man Utd are believed to be trying to establish a heirarchy along the lines of the old Liverpool boot room scenario, with McClair and Solskjaer the favourite sons the likelihood of McClair appearing somewhere else as manager is not that improbable.

I would like to see steve clarke get a chance, Hibs were linked with him before they got that disrepctful d*** c***wood in, The weird thing i think he would do a good job but i dont know how he would do a good job. :(

Steve Clarke has no experience in his own right, he has always been a 2nd in command and working with big name players and their big ego's at clubs with plenty of Money. He has no or very little experience of the game in scotland today.

Motherwell need someone who can work on a very limited budget, with good contacts to unearth players that will do a turn for us, ie Humphrey, Coke, Jennings, Jutkewitcz etc as well as giving our young players a chance.

The Motherwell team is young so they need experience to get the best from them, so i think we need to be looking at a manager with previous experience and a decent record, my shout would be Jimmy Calderwood.

In reference to your post Spiderpig who did Calderwood discover for Aberdeen that left a lasting effect like the players you have mentioned at Well! Who have they sold for cash in the past say 5 years........

What makes you or anyone think Calderwood would do that at Motherwell! Experience yes definately, eye for a player, nah your allright!

I'd have to say I'm more apprehensive than excited at the prospect of filling the mananger's job. When it comes to the list of names touted about in the media to its more a case of hoping to avoid virtually all of them than rather than thinking, oh aye I'd love him to get it.

If pushed on the current candidates I'd go with Spiderpig's call of Calderwood too. A couple of posters have made some observations about the budgets he's had in the past and the legacy he's left but looking purely at what was achieved he lead Dunfermline to probably their best spell in a few decades, kept Aberdeen at a level I think we would be happy with at MFC and most recently rescued Killie. That seems to be a fairly sound CV for a non-Old Firm mananger in Scotland but admittedly I don't have knowledge of the type of funds he had at his disposal to be able to do that.

I suppose the good thing about Boyle and the board is that they haven't had a mould into which a Motherwell manager must fit for them and they've been quite bold and open-minded about who they'll appoint. They haven't been in a hurry either so I hope if they do tend to cast the net a bit wider than the usual suspects we don't nosedive on the park and force them into making a decision quicker than they'd like.

If pushed on the current candidates I'd go with Spiderpig's call of Calderwood too. A couple of posters have made some observations about the budgets he's had in the past and the legacy he's left but looking purely at what was achieved he lead Dunfermline to probably their best spell in a few decades, kept Aberdeen at a level I think we would be happy with at MFC and most recently rescued Killie.
I wouldn't be unhappy with Calderwood, although I have some concern in him sticking around. It wasn't that long ago he said he was bored with managing in the SPL and needed a new challenge.

He did a good job at Aberdeen, establishing them as a top 6 team and getting to the Group stages of the UEFA Cup. Thanks to that record he is also responsible for maintaining their delusions of adequacy, but I can forgive him for that.

I would imagine that most if not all interested parties will have made there interest known to the club by now and that over the next few days a shortlist will be drawn up. Interviews will then take place and I would expect a new gaffer in place sometime next week. Would certainly expect someone in place before the Rangers game on boxing day.

Steve Clarke has no experience in his own right, he has always been a 2nd in command and working with big name players and their big ego's at clubs with plenty of Money. He has no or very little experience of the game in scotland today.

Motherwell need someone who can work on a very limited budget, with good contacts to unearth players that will do a turn for us, ie Humphrey, Coke, Jennings, Jutkewitcz etc as well as giving our young players a chance.

The Motherwell team is young so they need experience to get the best from them, so i think we need to be looking at a manager with previous experience and a decent record, my shout would be Jimmy Calderwood.

Stevie Clarke or Jimmy Calderwood = no brainer!!

The contacts that Clarke will have in the game will be 2nd to none and from what I have heard he is seriously interested in the job.

Get him in JB!!

steve clarke would be a big coup if we could get him the guys worked at the highest level and if hes interested in the job we would be mad no to offer him it.the clubs make good progress the last few season consistantly getting into the top 6 so we must stay away fae guys like mcpherson,chisholm and hughes as i think they would take us back the way.jimmy calderwoods done a decent job wherever hes been so i wouldny be against him getting the job

I don't have any problems with Calderwood either, he's an experienced manager who has done reasonably well in all of his previous positions.

A lot of the guys mentioned were available or could have been pursued when McGhee, Gannon, and Brown were appointed, so I think the board already know the limitations or Hughes, McPherson et al. However, I'm worried that standards may drop a little to try and bring a bit of stability.

Has it seriously gotten to "who has the best contacts"? He could have the best contacts in the World but be an absolutely terrible manager.

Fuck that, give me someone who can get the team playing decent fitba' with our own lads, shove yer contacts!

And come January or the summer window when we have players leaving the club, how does our manager with no contacts rebuild?

The Motherwell team is young so they need experience to get the best from them,

Agree with all of that but not Jimmy Calderwood.

Steve Clark for me but dont think he would be interested

Chris Coleman also would do a good job for us.

I think we will bring in someone that is unemployed for sure.

I would give graggs it till the end of the season see how he goes as we are defo not getting relegated and the players will give 100%

Walter Smith in 1991 had no first team management background.

In 1974 Bob Paisley had no first team management background.

In 2000 a certain Mr Mourinho had no managerial experience.

Now if Steve Clark comes to Motherwell then he may not be in the same league as any of them but hey you never know these things. He must be a good coach because a certain Mr Mourinho fought his corner when the were about to do the same thing to him as they did to Ray Wilkins. He must have done something right plus he can always call on the 'Special One' to loan him a couple of players :whistling:

What people also have to realise is whoever we appoint will be a gamble. What manager have we appointed since Tommy McLean did we not take a gamble on? Maybe some of the older posters will enlighten me whether even if the great Mr McLean was a gamble as I was too young back then.

Motherwell find themselves in a position where we probably can't afford a manager in a job, therefore the our next manager will probably have either had a difficult time of late or inexperienced.

I for one will put trust in whoever takes over (except Messrs Dodds and Chisolm :evilgrin: ) and I trust Mr Boyle to choose the right man. Afterall he has done 4 out of the last 5 times because however events have transpired 4 out of the last 5 men to manage our club have been right for us as a club at that particular time in our history.

I just wish Gannon would come back on his knees saying he has taken man management classes pleading with the board to give him another chance and he won't be as much of a 'dick head' this time round!!

The most outrageous sacking was that of Chris Houghton the Newcastle manager. He did a brilliant job getting the club straight back into the Prem and was in 11th place when he was sacked - a far higher position than most pundits and fans alike expected them to be this season and that after spending very little on players since being promoted.

I think Chris Houghton is the gaffer we should have at FP