We're In Line For A Uefa Place Just Now........

mfcsuperwell

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest 'Flow
Do the SFA/SPL tell the clubs after each game what the Fair Play table currently is?

Frustratingly enough, no, they don't...

Which is why Mark McGhee and Co. are in the dark as much as the fans about our chances. We're only going on the whispers we've been told!

Apparently we'll know on the Tuesday / Wednesday after the Killie game!

'Flow

Are MFC off to Austria again this year ? If yes, would this be affected by euro qualification ?
I read an interview with McGhee a few days ago where he said they were looking at various options in Germany and Austria for pre-season, but they would have to rethink those plans if they do get into Europe.

Frustratingly enough, no, they don't...

Which is why Mark McGhee and Co. are in the dark as much as the fans about our chances. We're only going on the whispers we've been told!

I find it absolutely incredible (though sadly, not surprising) that the SFA can't make it clear to clubs what the situation is. Fair enough if they don't want to make it public, but why keep it secret from the participants themselves?

BBC and Sporting Life both say five (yes only five) guys.

Everywhere it seems have claimed it to be 5.

But, Crocker claimed that it was 6 booked for Hibs, just prior to Riordan getting booked in the last minute for kicking the ball away.

So, if he was originally right then it would indeed be 7 carded.

Either way, I am sure the SFA/SPL issue fines for clubs that receive 5+ bookings in a match. So, either way this would ensure harm to their Fair Play bid.

I find it absolutely incredible (though sadly, not surprising) that the SFA can't make it clear to clubs what the situation is. Fair enough if they don't want to make it public, but why keep it secret from the participants themselves?
Because in end of the season situations like this it could affect the way teams play to the disadvantage of others directly involved in the relegation and title battles. Imagine the outcry if Hibs had gone out today and not tackled anybody.

I'm not to sure about this guys i wouldn't be surprised if they gave the spot to a big city club ,lets say perhaps Hibs .Hope I'm wrong but this is the S.F.A remember.

Totally agree Jim. It wouldn't surprise me if the eventual recipients of the place were "outsiders". The scoring system is very subjective and very much a black box process.

UEFA rules say it must be tracable how marks are given for all the different criteria so while I'm not saying Hibs won't beat us to it, I'm pretty sure if they do they will have met the criteria more than us and not because of some whim that they would rather have Hibs in.

....Mark McGhee and Co. are in the dark as much as the fans about our chances. We're only going on the whispers we've been told!

Apparently we'll know on the Tuesday / Wednesday after the Killie game!

'Flow

That will allow the powers that be to select who they want to represent Scotland in Europe, rather than who actually deserves it. Why else would it be kept secret from the clubs?

What benefit would be gained by the SFA for 'choosing' Hibs in front of us? If the answer is 'none' then why do it?

Apparently it is up to the League who they award the extra place to, and with the Fair Play league winners, Celtic, having already qualified they may choose to give it to the highest placed League club not qualified for Europe and ignore the runners up in the Fair Play League.

I must be the only one who isn't excited about the prospect of Europe this way.

Fair enough if the lure of Europe would be a way of attracting a better calibre of player, but that didn't happen last year. Any money that will be made (which probably won't be much) from a two legged tie against a team from the back of beyond won't be invested in the squad.

I also worry a lack of pre-season will hamper the long term league aspirations. We did very well to get ourselves out the shite we were in at Christmas.

If 99% of fans who are excited about Europe via this route are being honest with themselves, they're only interested in a swally in a foreign land. Nothing more. For the sake of that, I'd rather we were better prepared and focused for the season ahead.

Amen.

Apparently it is up to the League who they award the extra place to, and with the Fair Play league winners, Celtic, having already qualified they may choose to give it to the highest placed League club not qualified for Europe and ignore the runners up in the Fair Play League.

How are Celtic the fair Play winners? They may well be - but the fact is that they now have more disciplinary points than the Well based on cards issued. I am not sure the SPL can award the place to anyone other than winners or runners up. In short their will be an audit trail.

If we don't get the place now - it will stink to high heaven. Short of Motherwell fans invading the pitch and attacking killie players or getting 2 players sent off and 8 booked - I fail to see how we can miss out now without it being a fix.

We were in pole position and Hibs have an extra 20+ yellow cards on us, yet have less points. St Mirren are our nearest challeners in the card stakes, but how with 12 less points and a shit load less goals scored could they have outscored us based on attacking play etc.

Nah if we don't get it now - it must be a fix and I would expect a legal challenge to investigate why.

Nah if we don't get it now - it must be a fix and I would expect a legal challenge to investigate why.

I can't remember Scotland ever winning the Fair Play League before so I don't know but I would be shocked if the SFA were not forced to come out and show everyone why and how the club that gets the slot wins the Fair Play League. I am also sure, there might be a few challenges if certain things look amiss. Saying that, one month is not very long to challenge any decision made by the SFA.

It is weird though Man City had a rough idea where they stood going into the last game of last season, yet Motherwell don't know where they stand going into our last game this season. :(

It is weird though Man City had a rough idea where they stood going into the last game of last season, yet Motherwell don't know where they stand going into our last game this season. :(

I think Man CIty's performance in that game is reason enough for nobody to know. If Killie could still go down and we knew a yellow could cost us Europe then Killie would be seriously advantaged. As I said earlier it is in the rules that I may have read on this thread what needs to be considered and that any club can follow how the points are allocated at the end of the season. And if we don't get and put in a legal challenge I will be raging - I'd much rather we spent our time and money improving thesquad for net season. THe more I think of it our piss up is the main benefit of this damn thing.

That will allow the powers that be to select who they want to represent Scotland in Europe, rather than who actually deserves it. Why else would it be kept secret from the clubs?

but UEFA state we ( Scotland) have a Fair Play Place so their rules state it must but the Highest placed team in the Fair Play league not already qualified for European Comps., so as we are (or were) 1st equal with Celtic in the last known table then the place will be ours.

As i said in my last post, UEFA have designated a place to Scotland as a Fair play entrant so only the best team in the fair play league not already qualified for Euro comps., will get the place and not the domestic league highest placed club not in Europe :(

I must be the only one who isn't excited about the prospect of Europe this way.

If 99% of fans who are excited about Europe via this route are being honest with themselves, they're only interested in a swally in a foreign land. Nothing more. For the sake of that, I'd rather we were better prepared and focused for the season ahead.

Personally I'm not fussed either way if I'm honest but that sums up Europe my friend, why else would anyone want to travel 4 or 5 hours for an away game when most can't be bothered with trips to Inverness or Aberdeen. The lure of somewhere new to get pished is for me the only attraction of Europe, not like we're going to win it is it? :rolleyes::D