2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

14 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I'm sure at the AGM they said that the annual cost of maintenance will drop from 125k to 20k. 

As for spending money on players to keep us up, I'm all for us having better players, but look at what hibs, Utd, and Aberdeen are paying, it guarantees nothing. 

I wouldn’t suggest paying over the odds but in terms of loans to steady the ship until we can have an opportunity to overhaul the squad in line with a new budget for next season then surely we can obtain some loans and negotiate the parent club to cover the majority of the wage to keep it within £2k max per week

id imagine we were paying the majority on Dunnachie and now Maguire while out on loan so with some hard negotiating and a couple of hundred grand into the pot then for me it’s worth the gamble until the end of the season

27 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

On an average of £2k per week (if you were paying full price wages) until end of may. Is it not worth putting £200k in to get you up to 5 players on loan to help you get to the end of the season?

with Maguire out on loan among others, I can’t see how that wouldn’t be worth the investment?

if we were run with a Benefactor esq structure alongside the well society you can 100% guarantee that would be happening

The question is how much you trust Daws and Hammell to invest this £200k wisely..?

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

The question is how much you trust Daws and Hammell to invest this £200k wisely..?

Based on what Dawes brought in before under alexander I wouldn’t trust him with £2

assuming hammell scouted and made the call on Penney/Cruikshank/mandron and from what I have read and heard on danzaki then I would trust him a lot more with my cash 

the caveat to that would be Aaron’s and moult but I think it would be harsh to critizse on bringing a former fans fave in moult back who if he could have even scored half the amount he did the last time, we prob wouldn’t be as worried as we all are now 

If we get Morris and Sol off the books, and considering we also have the wages for Penney to use, I'm expecting at least two signings by the end of the window, if not three.

I seriously doubt that we are paying all of Maguire's wages, and the same will go for shields if we put him out on loan as well, (as there is absolutely not benefit to us putting them out on loan otherwise) so we should have the funds available.

Longer term, with carroll, Goss, Mcginn and sod's contracts being up in the summer,  at least we won't be stuck with a bunch of bad contracts should the worst happen. 

1 hour ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

I would suggest a year with no season ticket money (which was largely our choice) and spending what we did on a pitch following 2yrs of hardship wasn’t the wisest decision

admirable in the case of the season tickets perhaps but financially suicidal in my opinion and I’m sure others 

On the season ticket money, my understanding is that the way the insurance policy worked, the club was obliged to repay the season ticket money to the ticket holder which they did by giving them a free season ticket. 
The club then tried to get the holders to donate money to the society in the hope that they would make out of it. 
If people did this then the club made out of it but if people kept their cash - and they were well within their rights to do that - then the club didn’t make as much out of the insurance policy. 

As to the money spent on the pitch, £100k savings a season is a players wage  - or could be a massive difference if we go down. 

edit - not sure how much the club make from season tickets each season but I’d be surprised if it’s over £1M

8 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

On the season ticket money, my understanding is that the way the insurance policy worked, the club was obliged to repay the season ticket money to the ticket holder which they did by giving them a free season ticket. 
The club then tried to get the holders to donate money to the society in the hope that they would make out of it. 
If people did this then the club made out of it but if people kept their cash - and they were well within their rights to do that - then the club didn’t make as much out of the insurance policy.

I suspect thats fairly accurate Stu. In addition to a free season ticket though ST holders were also given a year's free access to TV. We, and I include myself in that,  did all right out of it. I did make a donation but now wish I'd paid more, knowing what I know now.

I hold Tony Watt responsible for Alexander getting an unjust contract extension. That is, if it weren't for Watt single-handedly dragging us across the line for the most of the first half of season 2021/2022, then we wouldn't have finished as high as we did given it all turned to shit when he left in January 2022. That and Ricki Lamie's stoppage time equaliser in Livingston that sealed our top 6 spot. Basically, if Watt wasn't good for us and Lamie hadn't scored that goal, Alexander would not have survived the season let alone get the chance to take us into a Euro humping. And with that said, welcome back Tony Watt...

He has been pish since he left us and Alexander is only manager that's got a tune out of him really so let's just nip this shite in the bud right now.

No thanks couldn't wait to engineer his way out the club and let's be honest he will be at St Mirren if anything  so can hang with his online gaming pal Gallagher.

16 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

He has been pish since he left us and Alexander is only manager that's got a tune out of him really so let's just nip this shite in the bud right now.

No thanks couldn't wait to engineer his way out the club and let's be honest he will be at St Mirren if anything  so can hang with his online gaming pal Gallagher.

Tony Watt off form is still better than the shite we have at the top of their game. Won't happen but I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I had mentioned in another thread that I was worried about Mandron's injury being a bad one, I wonder if the sudden rumour that we're in for Watt suggests this is the case, a few more reliable sources are running with the story now about us trying to pip St Mirren. However I can't see Watt walking away from his deal with 2 and a half years left.

1 hour ago, Coatsy said:

Nomad who we got the best out of jumped for whatever reason to a rival team should never pull on a well shirt again

We all know the reason. Money. And to be quite honest, who wouldn't have done the same? 

If he's willing to come back, the manager fancies bringing him in and we have the finances then I say we go for it. We need goals, and he showed last time with us that he can score goals.

33 minutes ago, David said:

We all know the reason. Money. And to be quite honest, who wouldn't have done the same? 

If he's willing to come back, the manager fancies bringing him in and we have the finances then I say we go for it. We need goals, and he showed last time with us that he can score goals.

While he did hit a purple patch for scoring I think his ability to hold the ball and bring othered into a play is the main advantage. I’m sure he could set up plenty goals for KVV, Mandron and McKinstrey

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pretzel said:

I had mentioned in another thread that I was worried about Mandron's injury being a bad one, I wonder if the sudden rumour that we're in for Watt suggests this is the case, a few more reliable sources are running with the story now about us trying to pip St Mirren. However I can't see Watt walking away from his deal with 2 and a half years left.

He won't be walking away from it he will want to go on loan therefore keeping his big salary. If the clubs mentioned are true I suspect he will be in Paisley 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

While he did hit a purple patch for scoring I think his ability to hold the ball and bring othered into a play is the main advantage. I’m sure he could set up plenty goals for KVV, Mandron and McKinstrey

That’s the way I always saw him, he does have technical ability that’s better than most in our squad. However given the abuse he won’t be back and if it’s anyone it will be St Mirren.

• David locked this topic