Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

Fair enough, obviously you don't hold him responsible for our current problems. But do you credit him in any way for last season's turnaround, or was it just down to one guy scoring goals?

Of course he gets credit, but so would any manager if they had that player at their disposal at that specific point. KVV was the ace up the sleeve that any manager would kill for. 

Now, without KVV, Kettlewell has nothing. He signed complete shite and has signed his own death warrant by doing so. 

Kettlewell deserves plenty of praise for the turnaround last season but the current mess is on him,the majority of the summer signings are dreadful,were back to being an unbalanced side with no pace or width,throwing mugabi up front and playing o'donnell,how many times to we need to see the same picture.team selection was madness today,bair and wilkinson playing a wider role,that's after last season where it was clear kettlewell had no interest in playing with natural wide men.gent changed the game for us the other night and then he's back on the bench again.for whatever reason everything had gone to shit very quickly and so far the manager doesn't have the answers,it's got the that feeling now that the end is near for him.

Just now, wellfan said:

Of course he gets credit, but so would any manager if they had that player at their disposal at that specific point. KVV was the ace up the sleeve that any manager would kill for. 

Now, without KVV, Kettlewell has nothing. He signed complete shite and has signed his own death warrant by doing so. 

Our success last season wasn't just built on one guy discovering his shooting boots. The fact we stopped shipping goals meant we could win games 1-0 or 2-1. Now we can't seem to get started until we're 2 down - you can't score 8 goals in 5 games but come away with just 2 points.

We've outscored half the teams in this league, including Hearts, but we can't beat any of them. It's pretty easy to see the first thing that needs done if we're gonnae give ourselves a chance of doing that, since we're clearly not going to find another KVV in January.

29 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

you can't score 8 goals in 5 games but come away with just 2 points.

If you'd told me that we'd scored

3 at home to Ross County

2 at home to Aberdeen 

2 away at St Johnstone 

1 at home to Hearts

I would expect or certainly hopeto get six to eight points out of twelve. We got two. Is it the defence or the lack of protection that the midfield is offering. Either way, goalscoring isn't the main problem*

*I say that knowing that today we looked like we could play all day and not score. But for me, conceding cheap goals is more of an issue...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

If you'd told me that we'd scored

3 at home to Ross County

2 at home to Aberdeen 

2 away at St Johnstone 

1 at home to Hearts

I would expect or certainly hopeto get six to eight points out of twelve. We got two. Is it the defence or the lack of protection that the midfield is offering. Either way, goalscoring isn't the main problem*

*I say that knowing that today we looked like we could play all day and not score. But for me, conceding cheap goals is more of an issue...

It's definitely more of an issue now. Last season, those goals would've got us the six to eight points.

Assuming he gets more time, Kettlewell has a couple of weeks to come up with a way to stop us losing cheap goals and then hope the players can implement his plans. If either of them don't, he's done.

I am big SK fan but I fear it is now desperation.   Bair and Wilko as wingers..... Spittal LWB and Spencer bloody LWB ,2nd half......as my mates said in pub the only 2 good signings have been loanees...Spencer and Mika.

We have the worst selection of strikers I have ever seen.  However.....I am still giving him chance to turn it round.   Let's see how December goes.  If no change then I hold my hand up and admit change required 

We have a squad that is collectively as bad or worse than it was this time last season and it is certainly worse than it was when we did so well under Kettlewell towards the end of last season.

As I’ve said before the fee we got for KVV was naive from the board at best and I personally think we should have offered a proper wedge to keep Goss not the same as he was on. 

Would Moult and Fletcher have helped the cause , who knows but they couldn’t have been any worse or cost us any more money in wages than Obika, Shaw , Bair and Wilkinson. 

My biggest gripe with the manager is our midfield - he must have known that that 3 of Paton Slatterly and spital couldn’t possibly compete in this league . No pace , no height , no power , can’t tackle , positionally are poor and their creativity flatters to deceive. They are a massive reason for our defensive and attacking problems. Not one of them would get a game in any other midfield in the league and we have basically no other midfielders.

Most other managers would have been sacked by now but the bowling club board of McMahon Feely and co remain silent as usual until the bitter end 

I fear we don’t have the players to turn this around 

36 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I reckon he's got the four games after the Celtic match if we don't win at least two of them I think the clubs hand will be forced. It's a result driven business and he knows that too. Dundee Home, Ross County Away, St Johnstone Home , St Mirren Away.

These games are too important to trust him with.

15 minutes ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

Would Moult and Fletcher have helped the cause , who knows but they couldn’t have been any worse or cost us any more money in wages than Obika, Shaw , Bair and Wilkinson. 

We'll never know, but Fletcher injured his knee after 3 or 4 weeks at Wrexham and he's just had an operation that could keep him out till next year. 

The club took a chance on Moult last season and were slaughtered when it went wrong, so they were never going to chance that happening again. He's doing well in the Championship, but most of the teams he's facing are of a lower standard than the ones we're up against (if that's conceivable) and there are major concerns about him playing on artificial surfaces. Imagine we signed him and he couldn't play at Rugby Park or Almondvale.

Mind you, none of that excuses the guys we did sign/re-sign.

If we do make a change we need to stop this trend of unproven managers with no track records. I love Craigan but his CV is no better than Hammell or Kettlewell's.

We don't need an unproven untested manager, nor do we need someone like Yogi Hughes or Kenny Sheils. We need someone with a decent track record. Someone in the Derek McInnes or Stephen Robinson mould.

Just watched Kettlewell’s post match interview.  All players will make mistakes at some point and I’m sure most fans will grudgingly accept that reality.

If Kettlewell genuinely thinks his team selection, specifically the decision to play Spittal as left wingback in order to accommodate Bair in team, was an appropriate approach to dealing with the Hearts goal threat then he needs to be replaced as soon as possible. 

Most of our players are limited in some way but have strengths.  
Kettlewell doesn’t seem to recognise this.  
To me it seems pretty straightforward-

play wingbacks in their accustomed position- invert them if you want to get creative -

play your midfielders in midfield 

play your strikers in the striking position they are most likely to score goals - Wilkinson is not a winger. 

finally - do not play Theo Bair ahead of anyone else.  He is no doubt an athletic individual but he has nowhere near enough footballing acumen or technical ability to play at this level of football. 

We have not run out of viable options to put out a team capable of getting results but the manager seems hellbent in sabotaging any potential for this. 

• Like 1

Today was an eye opener I am starting to think Kettlewell has some sort of ego complex.How on earth he thought that team he put out would be good enough to compete is utterly baffling soon as most folk saw it they knew we were in for a brutal 90 min.

I was up for giving him until mind December but now after listening to his post match interview it's same broken record where he should be saying I got that 100 percent wrong to today and took full responsibility.

I think he has lost the players tbh and today was his final nail in the coffin.

7 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Bring in Craigen and Faddy

I’d like to see Craigan back at the club in some capacity but not as manager. We can’t afford to just hand him the job for nostalgic reasons.

As for Faddy, he should be nowhere near the coaching staff. He’s been here before as assistant and it was a disaster and was binned by Robinson. He’s also a clueless buffoon as he regularly shows whenever he Co-commentates for Radio Scotland.

4 hours ago, MJC said:

I’d like to see Craigan back at the club in some capacity but not as manager. We can’t afford to just hand him the job for nostalgic reasons.

As for Faddy, he should be nowhere near the coaching staff. He’s been here before as assistant and it was a disaster and was binned by Robinson. He’s also a clueless buffoon as he regularly shows whenever he Co-commentates for Radio Scotland.

A bit like you then.

• Haha 1