2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

If we're talking about raiding Dundee Utd, then I'd be happy to see Ian Harkes in our midfield.

He’s been panned by the Utd fans I know, inconsistent and hung up his shirt about a year ago.

To be fair tho I did think he looked good a couple of seasons ago. He might just need a change of club like Mark Ohara did.

Can't say that Harkes has ever looked much more than ordinary when I've seen him in the Premiership. He performed better in the Championship, but there are many that fall into that category,

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

Can't say that Harkes has ever looked much more than ordinary when I've seen him in the Premiership. He performed better in the Championship, but there are many that fall into that category,

Yeah you’re probably right, I think it was when I saw him in the championship he looked decent. 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

I think Tierney is a good player and shows a lot of potential to further develop, but I also think that his type has no place in a Kettlewell team. 

It's a shame he didn't get put out on loan for some of this season, he could have kept Accies up. He has talent but struggles to get involved in games.

Him and Danzaki will both surely be looking to get away from Fir Park.

Both Tierney and Danzaki were injured for a fair bit of SKs tenure, so we don't know for sure how they would have been used. Same goes for Efford.

My guess is all three would have been bench players in our current system, with efford possibly being an option for the chaotic partner for KVV. Tierney would probably have been behind Spittal for his spot as a starter. SK kind-of hinted in a recent interview that Danzaki wouldn't be getting a game even if fit.

39 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

SK kind-of hinted in a recent interview that Danzaki wouldn't be getting a game even if fit.

I was a bit concerned with that interview. Not because it sounded like he wasn't convinced Danzaki had proved himself, but more with his comment that "we don't play a number 10"

I'm hoping he meant that we don't play a number 10 within the structure he had to implement when he took over rather than he wouldn't have played a number 10 even when Turnbull was on the books.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

My mate is a Dundee Utd fan and has never rated him. I see Ryan Edwards been released. If we don't retain Casey I wouldn't mind taking him. Not had a good season but a change of club and manager could be beneficial. However I hope we can get Dan on a new deal

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

If we're talking about raiding Dundee Utd, then I'd be happy to see Ian Harkes in our midfield.

These guys at United are on stupid money,7k Fletcher apparently

Maybe the boy Middleton if he fitted into wage structure, I wouldn't be breaking bank for any of them, there's a reason they've been relegated 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Maybe the boy Middleton if he fitted into wage structure, I wouldn't be breaking bank for any of them, there's a reason they've been relegated 

Not convinced by him at all and for a strong boy he spends a lot of the time getting pushed off the ball, flapping his arms about looking for freekicks.

8 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Not convinced by him at all and for a strong boy he spends a lot of the time getting pushed off the ball, flapping his arms about looking for freekicks.

I wasn't convinced either, but then I noticed this on his wiki page

image.png

444 goals in 15 games is a pretty decent return

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

May be right from the buyers point of view but from our point of view he is probably worth that or more to us plus we would have to find another striker. so why sell him for that amount of money? 

We'll sell him because I imagine he'll want to go, and anywhere between £500-£750k is reasonable money for the reasons I mentioned. There's absolutely no point in keeping someone who would rather be elsewhere.

20 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

A striker who can score 29 goals a season is worth a lot more than a million pounds. If as is reported teams like Wolves are interested in him. One million pounds is pocket money to teams like that. I'd be asking at least 4 million to them.

There is nowhere reporting that Wolves are interested 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I was a bit concerned with that interview. Not because it sounded like he wasn't convinced Danzaki had proved himself, but more with his comment that "we don't play a number 10"

I'm hoping he meant that we don't play a number 10 within the structure he had to implement when he took over rather than he wouldn't have played a number 10 even when Turnbull was on the books.

I'm hoping the same, although if he can move some players on and recruit to suit the system he's been using until now I doubt we can have many complaints.

On the contract front, I'd posted this in the initial post to highlight those out of contract:

• Stephen O'Donnell
  • Jake Carroll
  • Paul McGinn
  • Max Johnston
  • Dan Casey
  • Dean Cornelius
  • Sean Goss
  • Joe Efford
  • Jack Aitchison
  • Mikael Mandron
  • James Furlong (on loan from Brighton)
  • Ollie Crankshaw (on loan from Stockport)
  • Stuart McKinstry (on loan from Leeds)
  • Jonathan Obika (on loan from Morecambe)

I know O'Donnell has mentioned that he's here for another year, but there's been absolutely nothing said by the club in an official capacity so I'm leaving him on there until it's confirmed one way or the other.

• Stephen O'Donnell - Let go
  • Jake Carroll - Let go
  • Paul McGinn - New contract
  • Max Johnston - new contract (if only)
  • Dan Casey - new contract
  • Dean Cornelius - Let go
  • Sean Goss - New contract
  • Joe Efford - Let go
  • Jack Aitchison - Let go
  • Mikael Mandron - Let go
  • James Furlong (on loan from Brighton) - Offer contract
  • Ollie Crankshaw (on loan from Stockport) - already gone
  • Stuart McKinstry (on loan from Leeds) - Let go
  • Jonathan Obika (on loan from Morecambe) - Let go

If I was SK this is how I would go but then I am not so wishful thinking

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ropy said:

There is nowhere reporting that Wolves are interested 

This all started over on P&B where someone took McGinns comment in his interview of there being "wolves at the door" for Van Veen literally. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Yep, fair dues, I wouldn't break the bank for him , like

Would not have him anywhere near the team, still a boy but he's done feck all in his career so far and nothing to suggest he will. Maybe he will  find his level with Dundee untd in the championship next season.

3 hours ago, Well Well said:
  • Jake Carroll - Let go
  • Joe Efford - Let go

I would aghree with all of that other than Joe Efford. He was bang on form just when he got injured. He had a slow start with us but he was turning in some great performances. I'd offer him another deal.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Well Well said:
  • Jake Carroll - Let go
  • Joe Efford - Let go

Id be keeping Cornelius instead of Goss and O'Donnell hes been decent at Rwb and theres not really better out there on our budget. Need to keep Casey our defence looked shambloic without him and Butcher

I'd be reluctant to let go a solid goalkeeper after seeing how quickly a goalkeeping crisis can send a club down.  We will have our price, but I'd rather we kept Kelly for now.

As for the other contracted players, I don't see them leaving money on the table, and I don't blame them. If they're as shite as we think they are,  the only way is down for them, so they may as well run out their contract.

I'm not sure what percentage of expected pay that "mutualed" players get, but we'd need to pay that on top of what it costs to get their replacement, and weve only just paid off two managers, so id be surprised if we did a bunch of these. We need backup players too, so I don't see the harm in keeping some of them. I suspect Morris is off though.

It sounds like we've imposed a deadline for players to make a decision on their contract offers, which is good, we need time to go for other options before it's too late. Hopefully we can keep hold of Casey and McGinn.

Sounds as though Make Your Mind Up time is rapidly approaching.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23557035.stuart-kettlewell-hoping-motherwell-clarity-summer-transfers/

I'd expect a faIr turnover of players in the next few months, but a lot is still up in the air.  A critical factor will be if we can move on out of favour / fringe players like Shields, Maguire and Morris. There's also quite a few like McGinley, Carroll, Tierney, Danzaki and Mahon about whom we've seen or heard little of late. Then there's those that we'd like to keep presumably, like Goss, Furlong, Casey and Cornelius etc who have still to make their mind up.  

• David locked this topic