2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Watching County v thistle on paramount. Not seeing too much talent on display from either team. 

Hell of a finish to the 90 (+) mins though

And Partick Thistle stay down after a penalty loss. 

I wasn’t particularly bothered either way but after listening to BBC Radio Scotland’s commentary which was basically willing Thistle to win then I’m pretty chuffed to see one of their ‘darling’ clubs fall flat.

:)

• Like 1

Although the Championship was close this year I'd still have been disappointed if the team in 4th had been promoted. 

If there has to be a play-off (and I don't think there is any need) then second top vs second bottom at least maintains some level of integrity for a league system. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Although the Championship was close this year I'd still have been disappointed if the team in 4th had been promoted. 

If there has to be a play-off (and I don't think there is any need) then second top vs second bottom at least maintains some level of integrity for a league system. 

The purist in my agrees - top club gets promoted and 2nd top gets the play off .

that said the championship had nearly all teams playing for something til the last game . As much as there’s a lack of fairness it at least keeps everything interesting for as long as possible .

56 minutes ago, MJC said:

And Partick Thistle stay down after a penalty loss. 

I wasn’t particularly bothered either way but after listening to BBC Radio Scotland’s commentary which was basically willing Thistle to win then I’m pretty chuffed to see one of their ‘darling’ clubs fall flat.

:)

Thistle have always been media darlings for as long as I can recall. Ross County won't be forgiven by the BBC. A few years ago, Richard Gordon patronisingly announced that every Scots fan loved Thistle. 

7 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Messi 1.7m or 5 5 foot 7 - Tierney  1.74m or 5 foot 9

Ok i know that your always right so the internet must be wrong again

:lol: I'm 5'9 and I reckon I'm about half a foot taller than Tierney.

11 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Thistle have always been media darlings for as long as I can recall. Ross County won't be forgiven by the BBC. A few years ago, Richard Gordon patronisingly announced that every Scots fan loved Thistle. 

Spot on Dave, I've no time for Thistle as you say the media Darlings portrayed as the nice PC, socially acceptable alternative to the ugly sisters, a club for the discerning football fan in Glasgow.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, weeyin said:

Same as in England the top of championship playoff system is a joke. It's a bit like when youre playing a game of fives and one team is well ahead then someone says let's play first to 3 before we go to the pub...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, claretband said:

Same as in England the top of championship playoff system is a joke. It's a bit like when youre playing a game of fives and one team is well ahead then someone says let's play first to 3 before we go to the pub...

Agree it probably could be better but it does keep the excitement going (and probably more realistically, money coming in) and as long as everyone knows what they are playing for at the start of the season, it’s fair. 

5 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Agree it probably could be better but it does keep the excitement going (and probably more realistically, money coming in) and as long as everyone knows what they are playing for at the start of the season, it’s fair. 

Sorry don't agree at all; whole point of a league is to prove levels of performance over a season, not a couple of games, IMO.

Why not have the bottom team in the premiership play the top to decide who wins the title, that would generate a lot of cash. Oh wait, that would be ludicrous...

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 7:37 AM, Onthefringes said:

Quite the take. Think most will trust Kettlewell’s judgement over yours right enough - he’s been open in his assessment too.

This warming the bench you speak of, at least be factual - Slattery retained his position after securing a point at Kilmarnock, Kid reclaimed his place before picking up a knock pre-split, then got back in on full fitness.

I'm not asking you to trust fcuk all. I don't rate him you do end of story , time will tell.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I'm not asking you to trust fcuk all. I don't rate him you do end of story , time will tell.

Time has told? Over 50 appearances in last 2 seasons.

Been lucky enough to be in company hearing our recent managerial appointments give expert opinion that he’s got the attributes to progress.

As soon as we gave this gig to a former senior squad manager, again, I knew they would be off at the first sniff of another better gig, which is fair enough. The Club must think more carefully about who we appoint to this type of role in the future. Securing a young former senior squad manager to look after the boys may be a coup and look good on paper, but it will always end like this and very quickly, as we've now seen at least twice. 

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/06/06/alan-archibald-departs/

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

As soon as we gave this gig to a former senior squad manager, again, I knew they would be off at the first sniff of another better gig, which is fair enough. The Club must think more carefully about who we appoint to this type of role in the future. Securing a young former senior squad manager to look after the boys may be a coup and look good on paper, but it will always end like this and very quickly, as we've now seen at least twice. 

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/06/06/alan-archibald-departs/

Stevie Hammell return incoming.....

22 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Would imagine the club would bite your hand off to have him involved in the academy again

He may well have the ear of some at the club. Plenty involved in academy and parents won’t entertain that thinking…

51 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Would imagine the club would bite your hand off to have him involved in the academy again

Nah bad idea, he had his chance and blew it, potential bad feeling / strained working relationship with SK and his back room team if he comes back, that's not a good way to start a new season.

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Nah bad idea, he had his chance and blew it, potential bad feeling / strained working relationship with SK and his back room team if he comes back, that's not a good way to start a new season.

Agree with you Allan and OTF. A bad idea, a very bad one. He wasn't a success as manager, didn't promote youth and his record in the Academy was ???????? Also his relationship with players?

27 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agree with you Allan and OTF. A bad idea, a very bad one. He wasn't a success as manager, didn't promote youth and his record in the Academy was ???????? Also his relationship with players?

35 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I wouldn't expect him to return as i would imagine he would have a number of potential suitors in the game.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Another argument is he brought in Furlong, Butcher, Casey , who have made the difference...I can't say he would have done as well with them as SK has done but you need to credit him with identifying those guys .

• David locked this topic