2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

It will be a straightforward process to replace the contributions oof the likes of Cornelius, McGinley, Carrol and Mugabi  should they all leave at some point because these players are ten a penny. We wont replace KVV with anyone who will score 29 goals.

Deary me, it’s a wonder you’re not on our recruitment team.

Cornelius as at the stage in his career where he needs and probably wants a more or less guaranteed first team place.... as opposed to being a squad player. He is a decent enough player but I honestly don't see him as a first pick. Particularly if Kettlewell strengthens his squad over the summer.

So in all the circumstances it is probably better that he moves on. I wish him all the best and thank him for his efforts whilst at Motherwell. Maybe he can return at a later date which will have the added benefit of winding a few folk up!

As for training compensation, we will be due something but Hibs might get the greater share as he progressed through their youth programme and only joined us at age 17 I think. That said, to qualify for compensation I believe the parent club must have a contract offer turned down by the player. In Hibs case I think they released Cornelius without such an offer so they might actually be due nothing. Whatever, we will not receive that much and it might be beneficial to negotiate with his next club, looking to possibly a greater return down the line rather than a small fee up front. If we accept the standard training compensation then that is a once and for all payment.

On 6/8/2023 at 11:54 AM, steelboy said:

KVV extending for one year cost 4 times what Josh Morris and Oxborough combined cost for two years each?

That's some good budgeting.

Probably the best contract extension for years. We’re going to make good money out of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

We get it as you’ve alluded to more than once. There’s not a player in our squad who isn’t infinitely replaceable.

Up to those tasked with the job to develop our next batch better than pay the system lip service in my view.

You’re right, it’s a wild guess. Easy to deduce from the article that he favours crossing borders for now over remaining at home.

I would say Casey , Butcher , Goss , Kvv , Spittal ( latterly) have some quality and will be harder to replace , the rest even Kelly , I think, can be replaced with similar or better 

6 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Cornelius as at the stage in his career where he needs and probably wants a more or less guaranteed first team place.... as opposed to being a squad player. He is a decent enough player but I honestly don't see him as a first pick. Particularly if Kettlewell strengthens his squad over the summer.

So in all the circumstances it is probably better that he moves on. I wish him all the best and thank him for his efforts whilst at Motherwell. Maybe he can return at a later date which will have the added benefit of winding a few folk up!

As for training compensation, we will be due something but Hibs might get the greater share as he progressed through their youth programme and only joined us at age 17 I think. That said, to qualify for compensation I believe the parent club must have a contract offer turned down by the player. In Hibs case I think they released Cornelius without such an offer so they might actually be due nothing. Whatever, we will not receive that much and it might be beneficial to negotiate with his next club, looking to possibly a greater return down the line rather than a small fee up front. If we accept the standard training compensation then that is a once and for all payment.

If he came back and added a goal threat, good tackling or a range of passing, it wouldn't wind me up , I'd be more than happy

Good luck to the guy.

3 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

KVVs and Turnbulls both very good contract extensions by the club - either way we benefit. 

Says a lot about those players too because they wanted to make money for the club. We've had local lads supporting the 'Well not sign extensions and leave for nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Says a lot about those players too because they wanted to make money for the club. We've had local lads supporting the 'Well not sign extensions and leave for nothing.

Kvv and Turnbull were good enough for clubs to come in and pay a transfer fee ...if other guys sign a contract, they could be stuck here on not great money and wouldn't get a move , so I don't blame them on that one .

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Kvv and Turnbull were good enough for clubs to come in and pay a transfer fee ...if other guys sign a contract, they could be stuck here on not great money and wouldn't get a move , so I don't blame them on that one .

For the likes of Cornelius, I agree with you.

Can't imagine that Luton wouldn't have been able to afford half a million for a chap who went straight into their starting XI.

Same goes for the yanks that bought Cadden, they ought to have been able to pay a fee.

I know this might sound premature but are we not better offering our highly rated youngters i.e miller 4 year pro deals hopefully they are able to establish themselves in that time and we can sell them on for a bigger fee than the compensation we get evrey time one leaves.

On a side note thank god Kevin Nisbet is no longer in the league!

On 5/31/2023 at 10:41 AM, David said:

Not for me on that last part. Good goalkeepers aren't just worth their weight in gold, but are incredibly hard to find. Even the top team in the country have the likes of Siegrist and Bain as their backups, which tells you something.

Kelly is one of the best shot stoppers in the league, and has earned us his fair share of points. As much as Van Veen's goals kept us up, so did his saves throughout the season. A good keeper can make the difference between relegation and surivial.

I personally don't think Kelly is all that great and if someone offered a decent fee for him id be more than happy for him to move on. As much as he makes some brilliant saves I feel hes always to deep in the box to sweep through balls and don't ever feel he commands the penalty box saying that tho wouldn't be dissapointed to see him stay

9 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

I know this might sound premature but are we not better offering our highly rated youngters i.e miller 4 year pro deals hopefully they are able to establish themselves in that time and we can sell them on for a bigger fee than the compensation we get evrey time one leaves. 

That was the Dundee Utd model that put them into millions of pounds of debt and helped relegate them twice in recent seasons. 

Just now, thewelllfan said:

I personally don't think Kelly is all that great and if someone offered a decent fee for him id be more than happy for him to move on. As much as he makes some brilliant saves I feel hes always to deep in the box to sweep through balls and don't ever feel he commands the penalty box saying that tho wouldn't be dissapointed to see him stay

He's great for a club of our level. He's saved us numerous points over the past few seasons, and has certainly won us more games than he's lost. 

Remember the debacle we had with keepers before he arrived? The whole Chapman/Archer nonsense gives me the fear to this very day.

Nah, I'd rather we kept a keeper like Kelly than sell him and hope we can get someone at least as good. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mfc said:

Groningen have now put a bid in for van veen according to sky

Be interesting to see if he takes them up on that offer. According to the wiki entry their most recent season makes Dundee Utd's look like a roaring success.

Worst ever season (2022–)

In 2022–23, Groningen finished the season in bottom place, winning only 4 times in 34 matches, and were relegated to the Eerste Divisie for the third time. Before the start of the season, the German Frank Wormuth was appointed coach. He was sacked in November 2022, after which Wormuth labelled the working conditions as "mentally unsafe". Under his successor, Dennis van der Ree, Groningen won only once in 21 matches, and were eliminated from the KNVB Cup at home by amateur club SV Spakenburg. During the season, director of football Mark-Jan Fledderus was sacked, and two board members stepped down. Gudde concluded the squad was unfit, unbalanced, and lacked quality and "personality".

9 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Deary me, it’s a wonder you’re not on our recruitment team.

you seem to have trouble understanding that we have some good players , some mediocre players and some pish players. Some would be hard to replace some pretty easy. Its hardly a radical position to have. Thank God you aint on the recruitment team we'd still have Bob Malcom

58 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

If the reported £10 grand a week is true I think he will bite their handoff and rightly so.

According to capology, Groningen only have 2 players getting paid above £6K

• David locked this topic