Hibernian v Motherwell 01/04/2023

SteelmaninOZ

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Jeez. It's all quiet on here today

I’m normally on here all thru the game but have visitors over and so was watching at my son’s house. Great having others there in person so I didn’t have to type stuff !!  And also much better when there’s multiple folks jumping out of their chair and yelling when we score. Although i only jumped out of my chair twice, as I had already began dropping my head in disbelief as I thought Marshall had saved the pk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJC said:

That McKirdy looks like a cross between Leigh Griffiths and Derek Riordan. Exactly the type of player you’d expect to see playing for Hibs.

yip heez the same kind of wee prick av volleyed numerous times, we arogant naff faced cant  if you see him in 2 years time he will still be the same wee cant except he will be baldy 

If we can get 4 points from the home double header then I reckon we will be safe for this season. Obviously 6 points from 6 would be better but it’s a tall order. Kettlewell has overseen some transformation in the last two months, from us looking more or less doomed in early February and unlikely to win another game this season to being in with a chance of being more or less safe before the split.

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

Great result, two great free kicks and a penalty that just squeezed in. Everyone played well, thought Spittal was class until he went off but maybe Furlong for MotM. - definitely a red for Marshal. 

Just watching it on alba,from a certain angle marshall nailed him and he knew what he was doing

27 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

What a footballing lesson today,Sean Goss turned into the player I always thought he was,ran the show in the middle of the park,and his free kick was a thing of beauty 

got to agree with you there    i was one of his biggest critics cause when the chips were down he was a hiding shitebag, but ffs man what a performance today fuck am even sure a saw him win a header 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’m normally on here all thru the game but have visitors over and so was watching at my son’s house. Great having others there in person so I didn’t have to type stuff !!  And also much better when there’s multiple folks jumping out of their chair and yelling when we score. Although i only jumped out of my chair twice, as I had already began dropping my head in disbelief as I thought Marshall had saved the pk. 

ah but are the visitors behaving ????

46 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Great to hear most of Texas is claret and amber, TWF 😂.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Marshall should have been off there.

That's the second straight red on Spittal ignored at Easter Road this season. Add in Porteous booting Sol and you've got another one. 

VAR at the game said the penalty was given for handball?!?! Very strange given everyone saw Marshall smashing Spittal and getting booked. 

I don't want to harp back to the past  but I can't help wondering what might have been if we'd changed managers another month or so earlier. All water under the bridge now. Just grateful that SK has really turned things around. I know that we've brought in some decent additions but I think the original squad wasn't as bad as some thought. A decent performance today. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't want to harp back to the past  but I can't help wondering what might have been if we'd changed managers another month or so earlier. All water under the bridge now. Just grateful that SK has really turned things around. I know that we've brought in some decent additions but I think the original squad wasn't as bad as some thought. A decent performance today. 

Your right,the squad we had wasn't that bad,but 2 managers thought 4-3-3 would work with the personnel we had,how wrong were they 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

fair to say SH lost his way and could have left earlier.  The change of formation has made a difference, it was clear we needed to protect the defence and also have more in midfield - likes of Goss needs more around him. 

Equally I think Cassey, Butcher, Furlong have all added value. 

So a mix of some very decent pro's + SK's tactical + new approach has really got us out the preverbial. 

Still got a lot of players who need to be offloaded, hopefully that will happen at the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

A red card all day long. 

Not in the current laws. (IFAB Law 12 for anorak inclined)

Even if the player prevents an obvious goal scoring opportunity, if the ref believes they attempted to play the ball it's just a yellow card and a penalty.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

Even if the player prevents an obvious goal scoring opportunity, if the ref believes they attempted to play the ball it's just a yellow card and a penalty.

My concern was not with goal scoring opportunity but was with the way he “tackled” him studs up, right into his leg. 

35 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

It was a reckless challenge (nearly hip high) I don’t think anyone was calling for a red based on denying a clear goal scoring opportunity 

Keepers get away with that every week.

High studs, high knees, flying elbows, flattening players (and if you're a Rangers keeper, punching players) - it's annoying, but it's not going to change in my lifetime.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a keeper sent off for a reckless challenge.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

I watched it on BBC Alba last night, Marshall was airborne studs 1st, and took out the Motherwell player hip high, nowhere near the ball so no attempt to play it, the tackle was reckless and dangerous as clear a penalty and Red card as you will ever see.

11 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

In my view we would have additional points on the board. Yes we were strengthened in the window but even taking that out of the equation we’re more organised and the performances of those players already at the club have improved. They also look a little fitter. The main thing though is that the right decision was made because I’m convinced we would have been relegated if he’d stayed.