Motherwell v Dundee United 15/04/2023

SteelmaninOZ

I'm sure we have all seen games like today many a time but it's still disappointing to lose.were in a far better position than I thought we would be a few weeks ago so I'm not going to go over the top with a defeat.i think we're safe but it will be good when it's for definite and we can put this season fully behind us.

For clubs of our size and stature today pretty much typifies why we’re at the level we are .

been on a run of form , picked up lots of points through being hungry and positive edge .

it always proves impossible to maintain. Possibly down to the lack of quality and how long average players can keep peaking .

Like others said no need to panic but it is a shame .

things are pretty tasty for the bottom three .

Glad we have a gap and really want to get another 3 pts on the board asap to ensure we don’t get sucked into it .

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

His tactics are basically the same as Alexander's. Cede possession to the opposition and hope we score our chances. 

You really can't help talking utter shite can you, anonymous for weeks when we were winning and hey presto 1 poor result and you're all over the thread,it's feckin laughable 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I think the nervousness of many stems from the fact its a given we will lose next week. However if two of the bottom three both lose next week too then one win in the last 5 will see us safe.  With a bit of luck the fixtures will give our first split game at home to Kilmarnock or Ross County and not away to Dundee Utd. 

It would take incredible twists of fate for us to end up back in the poop.

last 7-8 games saved our season 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

It would take incredible twists of fate for us to end up back in the poop.

last 7-8 games saved our season 

Id like to think so but I've supported Motherwell too long to relax. I remember us being 15 points clear of Dunfermline at the bottom of the league and we only avoided the play off on the last day. Being a Motherwell fans means always expecting the floor to fall from under you.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Id like to think so but I've supported Motherwell too long to relax. I remember us being 15 points clear of Dunfermline at the bottom of the league and we only avoided the play off on the last day. Being a Motherwell fans means always expecting the floor to fall from under you.

To be fair agreed. -until it’s mathematically impossible it’s still at the back of my mind .

6 hours ago, steelboy said:

They are pish. 

That's neither here nor there. Countless times over the years I've seen us play them off the park or match them only to end up losing. We were heading for a fall and the overconfidence on social media before the game had me worried.

Post split, there will be 4 teams below us scrapping for their lives. We can't afford to hit the beach just yet. Given encounters so far this term, we'll struggle to take anything off Dundee United or Killie. We should have enough to stay up but we're not mathematically safe just yet  

On 4/13/2023 at 11:22 AM, MJC said:

It’s too early to say that we won’t be relegated in it, but regardless I’m looking forward to not seeing it again after this season and hoping for a traditional, simple and classical Motherwell FC home kit to be released in the summer. Why we have to keep trying to go out the box and be ‘different’ every few years is beyond me.

We should be proud of our home colours and embrace our identity with a simple home kit. Take a leaf out of Hearts book, they have their vintage maroon and white kit and they largely stick to it with only a few minor alterations each year.

As for this Saturday I suspect we’ll be in our fluorescent kit against Utd.

I actually like that we do something different every now and again. I’m not a fan of this years kit but I’m never gonna complain that we try to do something different here and there

6 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

In last 8 games it's W5 D1 L2. We were due a bad one so let's not all go in panic mode. We will be safe this season , our goal difference is like an extra point. Kettlewell been on the ball but did get few things wrong today. Utd defence so slow so Mandron not much use against them. Aitchison should have been on earlier, and why deano came off but Spittal stayed on is beyond me. I have defended Spittal a lot but he was honking today.

But it's only one defeat so let's not all get negative, we will be fine and I am sure kettlewell will address the issues.....COYW

SIWY 

9 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

but Spittal stayed on is beyond me. I have defended Spittal a lot but he was honking today.

According to Whoscored.com he gave the ball away 20 times out of 55 involvements. 

9 duff passes. 7 duff crosses. 3 shite touches. And caught in possession once. He also had the trademark shite shot from outside the box that he hits every single game and never scores. 

Kettlewell seems to think he's our main man though. 

19 minutes ago, steelboy said:

According to Whoscored.com he gave the ball away 20 times out of 55 involvements. 

9 duff passes. 7 duff crosses. 3 shite touches. And caught in possession once. He also had the trademark shite shot from outside the box that he hits every single game and never scores. 

Kettlewell seems to think he's our main man though. 

That's it pal let it all out

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

To be fair agreed. -until it’s mathematically impossible it’s still at the back of my mind .

Yes, we have to be professional in our approach and treat each game as very, very difficult, but winnable.  I always thought that yesterday's game was a very real probable loss.  Have teams sussed us out yet or was it a one off blip? Time will tell. Either way, teams will suss us out at some point and then Plan B should come into play.

Post split, all the teams below us will be fighting for their lives and they won't give a damn how they gather the points. We have a cushion, which will narrow before the split, but should still be advantageous. After the split, I'd expect to play Ross County and Killie and home and Livingston and St Johnstone away, but who knows given we're due 3 home games. Dundee United at home? Maybe, given we played them 3 times away last season. Our recent record at Perth is abysmal and we've found the Arabs and Killie very difficult opponents this season.  

We're in pole position but need those points to ensure mathematical safety. I don't  care how we get them. Over the years of following the Well, we've all learned to take nothing for granted.  Oh, I almost forgot about next week. No hammering, no red cards and no injuries please. Is that too much to ask for?

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes, we have to be professional in our approach and treat each game as very, very difficult, but winnable.  I always thought that yesterday's game was a very real probable loss.  Have teams sussed us out yet or was it a one off blip? Time will tell. Either way, teams will suss us out at some point and then Plan B should come into play.

Post split, all the teams below us will be fighting for their lives and they won't give a damn how they gather the points. We have a cushion, which will narrow before the split, but should still be advantageous. After the split, I'd expect to play Ross County and Killie and home and Livingston and St Johnstone away, but who knows given we're due 3 home games. Dundee United at home? Maybe, given we played them 3 times away last season. Our recent record at Perth is abysmal and we've found the Arabs and Killie very difficult opponents this season.  

We're in pole position but need those points to ensure mathematical safety. I don't  care how we get them. Over the years of following the Well, we've all learned to take nothing for granted.  Oh, I almost forgot about next week. No hammering, no red cards and no injuries please. Is that too much to ask for?

We are safe for this season. Whilst one of RC, Utd or Killie may go on a 4-5 game winning streak it is highly unlikely that all three teams ( or two of the three) will. They will take points off each other on the way as well so it would take an exceptional set of circumstances for us to end in the bottom two now.

Every draw in the last round of games will play into our hands as well. 

One more win for us, if it does not come against Livi ( I have written the Celtic game off)will 100% seal the deal.

Basically with our goal difference an extra point Ross co need to win at least 3 and draw 1 of last 6 games and killie and utd to win 3 of last 6 and assuming we get no points.  Everyone will take points off each other so I think we will be fine.

Remember before yesterday we had 16 out of 21 pts. Yesterday was just one of those days.  Keep calm and carry on..... COYW 

1 hour ago, star sail said:

We are safe for this season. Whilst one of RC, Utd or Killie may go on a 4-5 game winning streak it is highly unlikely that all three teams ( or two of the three) will. They will take points off each other on the way as well so it would take an exceptional set of circumstances for us to end in the bottom two now.

Every draw in the last round of games will play into our hands as well. 

One more win for us, if it does not come against Livi ( I have written the Celtic game off)will 100% seal the deal.

We could go into split with even less of a cushion after next week depending on results. All 4 teams below us could pick up points while it’s highly unlikely we will get any points next week. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

We could go into split with even less of a cushion after next week depending on results. All 4 teams below us could pick up points while it’s highly unlikely we will get any points next week. 

RC are at Hearts, who are on a terrible run but I can't see past a home win, likewise killie at at St.Mirren who playing well just now and Killies away record is brutal another home win. Dundee untd at home to Livi is the only dodgy one, untd have some momentum after 2 wins and Livi still have a shout at top 6 so for me that's a draw.

Yes all of the bottom 3 could win just as we could at Celtic but it's not going to happen so I can't see us losing much ground if any at all.

On 4/15/2023 at 5:26 PM, MJC said:

They are a poor side but they definitely have our number. Yes we have created and missed several chances against them but they know how to nullify us.

Surely if they knew how to nullify us, we wouldnt have created several chances?

As has been the case in many of our games this season, we beat ourselves.

Re the game, I thought we were unfortunate to lose. United started well as you would expect for a team fighting for their lives, but they didnt really create anything of note. 

After KVV scored we looked the better team and the game should have been put to bed before they got the equaliser in the 2nd half.

Poor goal to conceed as we just didnt track the runner. Looked to me like Casey just switched off for a second which is a shame as he has been generally excellent.

Re the pen, its soft and and Fletcher is looking for it, but you see them given, so cant really argue. The one surprise is that the second one is very similar and Walsh books Fletcher for diving.

Probably shouldnt have lost that game, but we did and it was our own fault. Fine margins. On another day we take our chances at 1-0 and run out 3-0 winners and wonder what all the fuss was about.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Surely if they knew how to nullify us, we wouldnt have created several chances?

As has been the case in many of our games this season, we beat ourselves.

They outbattled us in the middle and frustrated us, the same as they did in the 0-0 game after our initial dominant spell that day. We didn’t exactly cut them open at will on Saturday, we had chances, yes, but they played the game well against us.