Motherwell v Celtic 30/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

5 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

8 years ago recent enough for you?

Okay well if we’re talking 8 years, since we last beat Celtic in 2015, Kilmarnock have beaten them three times and St.Mirren have beaten them twice. 

Since we last beat Rangers in 2017 Killie have beaten them five times. I couldn’t even tell you how many times they have managed to beat them in the league since we last managed it over two decades ago now.

44 minutes ago, MJC said:

Okay well if we’re talking 8 years, since we last beat Celtic in 2015, Kilmarnock have beaten them three times and St.Mirren have beaten them twice. 

Since we last beat Rangers in 2017 Killie have beaten them five times. I couldn’t even tell you how many times they have managed to beat them in the league since we last managed it over two decades ago now.

I was referring to the 2 play-off wins against Rangers. I think those results were about as big as they come.

While we were celebrating those, St Mirren were preparing for 3 seasons in the Championship. Kilmarnock have also been relegated in the intervening years. As much as I'd love us to stick it to the ugly sisters, those games generally don't define how successful your season is, unless it involves winning a cup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

I was referring to the 2 play-off wins against Rangers. I think those results were about as big as they come.

While we were celebrating those, St Mirren were preparing for 3 seasons in the Championship. Kilmarnock have also been relegated in the intervening years. As much as I'd love us to stick it to the ugly sisters, those games generally don't define how successful your season is, unless it involves winning a cup.

There’s no doubting the playoff was a massive couple of results. The biggest in the last fifteen years arguably. However that was a one off (albeit over two legs) and it was against a Rangers side that was Rangers in name only. They were a side who couldn’t finish 2nd in the Championship and managed Stuart ‘bottle merchant’ McCall. Our overall record against them, indeed our league record is absolutely shameful in the last twenty years.

6 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

As I'm sure you know I'm referring to our league games 

Fair enough. I thought you were talking about "when it mattered". 

And no, the fact we beat Rangers twice 8 years ago doesn't console me when we lose to them in the league. But since we've generally finished higher than most of the teams who've occasionally beat them, I'm no raging about it either.

37 minutes ago, MJC said:

There’s no doubting the playoff was a massive couple of results. The biggest in the last fifteen years arguably. However that was a one off (albeit over two legs) and it was against a Rangers side that was Rangers in name only. They were a side who couldn’t finish 2nd in the Championship and managed Stuart ‘bottle merchant’ McCall. Our overall record against them, indeed our league record is absolutely shameful in the last twenty years.

Yeah, it's crap. But our league record over that period is better than the 2 teams you mentioned, so you might question what good their wins have really done them.

In the whole Hearts discussion a week or two back, did you not say something about us having a fixation on competing with the Old Firm?

27 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Yeah, it's crap. But our league record over that period is better than the 2 teams you mentioned, so you might question what good their wins have really done them.

In the whole Hearts discussion a week or two back, did you not say something about us having a fixation on competing with the Old Firm?

Not a fixation on competing with the Old Firm, just a fixation with how we’re viewed by and in relation to the Old Firm. 

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

Not a fixation on competing with the Old Firm, just a fixation with how we’re viewed by and in relation to the Old Firm. 

Would a fixation on our results against them not play a part in that? I couldn't give a toss what they think of us. I'm sure both sets of fans are amused by our pathetic  inabilty to beat their teams but unlike you, I'm also sure we will win again, and probably when it least suits them.

If we want to talk about the minnows' shit records against bigger fish, how about Celtic's no Champions League home win for 10 years. Far worse than our Old Firm record, obviously, since they're convinced they are one of the sharks.

4 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Now that my anger has subsided a bit after Saturday I feel calm enough to post. It really doesn't matter a fuck how we play against the OF, it makes no difference to our season. However when you play the OF you can only hope on the day they are piss, to give us a chance. We will never dominate them or outplay them over 90 minutes.  So not for the first time in 21 years and 12 years respectively against Rangers and Celtic. They were poor and there for the taking and as usual when they play like that we gift wrap the points for them. We were not unlucky , it wasn't the referees fault,  as usual against the OF we were utterly pathetic when it mattered. Two goals that would embarrass a pub team. I take no consolation that we shoulda , coulda. I am sick to the back teeth of this pathetic script even when they are shite we can't lay a glove in them. I really don't give a fuck if people think we played well in both games , we still got fuck all..... pathetic in the extreme.

If that's your anger subsided, I would suggest you seek a therapist.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MJC said:

Yes there was a huge amount of satisfaction to take from Celtic losing last night especially with the last kick of the ball after they did the same to us at the weekend there. It was all the better seeing Brendan’s oily downtrodden face at the end and hearing that lickspittle Liam McLeod on Radio Scotland gutted. He loves going on about “Celtic time” well this time that backfired on them.

One for you, MJC *lights blue touchpaper and retires*

• 4 weeks later...

I see STV and BBC are reporting that Celtic are "banning" the Green Brigade. Also the first confirmation of a kind, by them, that Celtic fans stormed fire exits at Fir Park a few weeks ago. This of course is reportedly alleged by Celtic, not the media outlets of course. Cautious reporting as they don't want to offend anyone.

28 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I see STV and BBC are reporting that Celtic are "banning" the Green Brigade. Also the first confirmation of a kind, by them, that Celtic fans stormed fire exits ate Fir Park a few weeks ago. This of course is reportedly alleged by Celtic, not the media outlets of course. Cautious reporting as they don't want to offend anyone.

The media won’t dare report something like that, not if they want to keep their jobs. 

And as for “banning” the Green Brigade, how many “bans” is that now? They’ll all be back in their usual places at Celtic Park before Christmas at the very latest.

Fair play to Celtic for trying to address the problem that groups like them bring to games.

It's only a matter of time before a serious incident occurs at a game due to overcrowding, thanks to gate storming and totally unprepared stewarding and policing.

The scenes at our recent game with them should have resulted in complete stadium bans for their travelling fans. Sadly, and predictably, our club, police and media said nothing to highlight their ongoing menace. If anything, this further empowers their mob mentality.

One thing is for sure: if and when the inevitable accident happens, it won't be the fault of the best fans in the world...

It probably didn’t help that our own wee version of the Green Brigade also decided to jump onto the park at the equaliser so that would also have been a factor in the club not calling out Celtic fans doing it albeit in much bigger numbers. 

• Confused 1

Please explain to me how you ban an individual who is part of that group, but decided he is going to a game but not under that banner,

He'll still get in and create whatever damage he wants. Celtic are pandering to the media, but know if these morons want to get in, they will.

16 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

Celtic are pandering to the media, but know if these morons want to get in, they will.

I don't think it's anything to do with pandering to the media. More to do with the escalating fines and potential UEFA consequences that could cost them even more money.

20 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

Please explain to me how you ban an individual who is part of that group, but decided he is going to a game but not under that banner,

He'll still get in and create whatever damage he wants. Celtic are pandering to the media, but know if these morons want to get in, they will.

Their season tickets have supposedly been withdrawn. Theoretically, they could potentially still get in if they paid at the gate though.

26 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

That occurred to me also thats why I wrote banning in quotations. The only surefire way to do it is to identify the individuals in those blocks of seats, if thats even possible, and then remove their season tickets, even if only temporarily, and allocate them to someone on their waiting list. Thats if they're serious about it.  I'd wager they're are several thousand involved. Did CCTV at Fir Park pick up the gatecrashing culprits?

47 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

They are all grouped together in a standing section at Celtic Park, so they could likely buy tickets in smaller groups dotted around the other sections of the stadium, but it wouldn't be the same.

They tend to only act up in numbers and in their section. If one or two of them act up elsewhere in the stadium they'll easily be identified and dealt with.

However, knowing what they seem to be like, I'd imagine they'll refuse to attend in any other capacity as some sort of protest and "struggle" against the "capitalists" that run their club.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

I don't think it's anything to do with pandering to the media. More to do with the escalating fines and potential UEFA consequences that could cost them even more money.

Yeah, Celtic must be at the stage where UEFA will be considering partial or full ground closure as a more effective sanction. Certainly hit them harder financially than token fines that are probably covered by programme sales anyway. And we all know how Celtic like to look after the pennies.

Also, it took the GB storming the gates at Celtic Park as per Fir Park to have any sort of home ban and threat of permanent exclusion introduced. I note the comment to the effect of ' The safety of all Celtic fans is paramount'. No mention of the safety of opposing fans, stewards or police.  Banning them from away games was an easy step, with no financial impact on Celtic whatsoever. And even if season tickets are eventually cancelled as opposed to suspended, there are plenty of other fans ready to step in. So again, little or no financial impact on Celtic.

So I agree, only the threat of ground closure, exclusion from tournaments or a points deduction will force Celtic to act responsibly. The GB have been causing havoc for years and in the past Celtic have been happy to pay up re damage on the understanding incidents stay low profile. Maybe they should also remind Brendan that it is not that clever to be seen to be defending those fans who are tarnishing the name of his employers.

39 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Their season tickets have supposedly been withdrawn. Theoretically, they could potentially still get in if they paid at the gate though.

The crowds celtic get I'd be very surprised if there is any pay at the gate available, the waiting list for ST'S is thousands long apparently.

You can't help laughing though, the club statement accused them of waving Palestinian flags and supporting a terrorist organisation ie Hammas while not saying a word about the Irish flags and decades of ongoing  praise for another terrorist group ie the IRA, 

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I see STV and BBC are reporting that Celtic are "banning" the Green Brigade. Also the first confirmation of a kind, by them, that Celtic fans stormed fire exits at Fir Park a few weeks ago. This of course is reportedly alleged by Celtic, not the media outlets of course. Cautious reporting as they don't want to offend anyone.

This move will play right into their victim mentality. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

The crowds celtic get I'd be very surprised if there is any pay at the gate available, the waiting list for ST'S is thousands long apparently.

You can't help laughing though, the club statement accused them of waving Palestinian flags and supporting a terrorist organisation ie Hammas while not saying a word about the Irish flags and decades of ongoing  praise for another terrorist group ie the IRA, 

They will never condemn the ira antics as they are in agreement with them.