Worst Motherwell Team And Manager

dazamfc

5 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Who was keeper when we got beat 4-0 by accies with Lesley as interim coach. He’s hard to beat a worst keeper surely??

Dan Twardzik. :banghead:

I still think Gardner was worse, probably because he played more.

17 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

He was only in job for 7 months. Plus remember some of his signings?

Kampman was a ‘strange’one. He wasn’t the worst but certainly wasn’t the best either. He was brought in on the back of McLeish bailing on us out of the blue and oversaw an entire clear out that summer. I’m sure Brian Martin, one of the players let go, was quite scathing of him after his departure, perhaps understandably, but was angry about how Kampman handled telling him that he wasn’t being kept on. 

He signed a lot of players in the summer of 98 and very few lasted the season but that also coincided with John Boyle coming in with Nevin as has already been said. It wasn’t a surprise when he left in the October of that season as it was clear that Boyle had his own ideas and vision for where he wanted the club to go and certainly came across ‘full on’ looking back. That a relatively unknown foreign manager who’d only been here a few months left pretty quickly wasn’t a huge shock, in my opinion.

Plus the football we had been playing from the start of the season until Kampman’s departure was pretty awful and there were certainly doubts about where we were headed as a team.

1 minute ago, AllyMax said:

Yes, and he kept us up the season McLiesh left to go to Hibs when we were in danger of relegation.

Not arguing that he signed some crap players, but probably no more than most other motherwell managers. He inherited a team containing some of the trash from the back end of McLiesh's tenure. He did also sign guys like Doesburg, who stayed with us long after Kampmann left. Not arguing he was a great manager for us, but he was a long way from being the worst. Can name at least 5 in my lifetime who were a lot worse.

Fair do's bud,all about opinions. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Watson's team was terrible - played 36, won 4... and I'm not sure how we managed that many wins. Although, to be fair, the slide started when Wallace was in charge.

It did lead to wee Tommy taking over too, so it ended well.

Yes, it ended well eventually but we struggled for quite a time before TM gradually sorted things out on a shoestring budget. IIRC there was  one  game in particular when ageing warhorse Andy Harrow was paired up front with baby-faced Andy Walker, so short we were of suitable players. There was a lot of discontent from the fans at the time.

It be easy to say Malpas but to add a bit of debate I will say McLeish.

Some fantastic football in the season after Tommy Mclean left but bit by bit he managed to destroy that team.

Also wasted monies others did not have on Roddie, McSkimming. etc.

Ultimately he destroyed Tommys team.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

Some fantastic football in the season after Tommy Mclean left but bit by bit he managed to destroy that team.

Agree 100%

Malpas was awful to watch but your right McLeish systemically ruined what took years to build 

Before doing the same at a host of other clubs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wunderwell said:

100% Agree mate. McLiesh bought Roddie (a left winger) before he'd even put his foot in the door. Why do that when you have the best attacking left back in Scotland at the time ? First mistake and he only went downhill from there. Bought some amount of shite and made some terrible deals along the way.

1 hour ago, wunderwell said:

Unfortunately, the record books show McLeish's team finished 2nd and McLean's 3rd. Doesn't begin to tell the real story. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Unfortunately, the record books show McLeish's team finished 2nd and McLean's 3rd. Doesn't begin to tell the real story. 

The thing is if they had changed from 2 points for a win to 3 points a year earlier, McLean would also have been second. A year later and McLeish's team would have been 3rd.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

We certainly came closer to winning the league under Wee Tommy than we did with McLeish regardless of the final positions. Probably the closest we will ever come in my lifetime.

But some of the football we played under McLeish that first season was exceptional. Dortmund away was different class. Crazy to see how trajectories have changed since then.

He was a good coach / man manager but by god he wasted a shit load of money tearing up a very good team.

Not the worst manager, but nowhere near the best.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

Its quite mad that not only is he getting away with that stat, but there's folk that actually think it's OK. Feels like an episode of the twilight zone.

The only stats that matter are those that show we've won four, and drawn nine in 22 games, and sit 9th in the table. 

11 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I assume the confused remark was from someone who wasn't at that game. Believe you me it was a howler 

Far from the worst result I've ever seen, but could well have been the angriest I've ever felt at the end of a game. Probably just put the tin lid on his list of cock-ups for me - obviously did for McLean.

• Thanks 1