Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

Holloway gives me the fear,he had a decent period earlier in his career but he strikes me as somebody that the modern game has moved on from,that article from his time at grimsby doesn't make for great reading,if he didn't want to move there what chance would we have of him moving permanently up here.mccann looks like the type of appointment we would make.

33 minutes ago, mfc said:

Holloway gives me the fear,he had a decent period earlier in his career but he strikes me as somebody that the modern game has moved on from,that article from his time at grimsby doesn't make for great reading,if he didn't want to move there what chance would we have of him moving permanently up here.mccann looks like the type of appointment we would make.

For me Holloway always came across as a bit of an arrogant arsehole anytime he was interviewed, he loved himself.

I think he would be a poor fit for the club so I hope he's nowhere near the job.

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

For me Holloway always came across as a bit of an arrogant arsehole anytime he was interviewed, he loved himself.

I think he would be a poor fit for the club so I hope he's nowhere near the job.

Exactly,Holloway has disaster written all over it,I hope we stay well clear.

Sorry, I reckon I’ve missed it. How do we know that Ross is out of the running? Has he stepped away or has he been discounted?

McCann would be a decent appointment. He’s got a fairly decent record at Doncaster, kept a poor Hull side in the Championship with no budget and it’s only been a disappointing second spell at Peterborough that’s having him anywhere near a Motherwell shortlist.

2 hours ago, mfc said:

Not for me a ridiculously expensive gamble where we are sitting.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Hopefully we'll have a choice of at least 3 candidates. If not not the Directors should look at their short leet again. 

Absolutely right. It’s very likely that applications would only have started to arrive say by Monday and yet the board are at the interview stage already!

They’re now on their 3rd go at getting “the right manager” and I just do not trust them one bit to get it right this time round.

Of the 3 supposedly on the shortlist the only one I would have been happy with was Jack Ross. However if he has indeed dropped out then I think we have a problem. The other two have absolutely no knowledge or experience of Scottish football whatsoever and indeed one wonders how the board placed them onto the shortlist in the first place!!

Maybe they’re going through the same charade as last time when they appointed Stevie Hammell. If that’s the case then I’d expect an announcement quite shortly that Stuart Kettlewell’s been appointed (until the end of the season?).

Ross would have been my preferred candidate out of all the names that have been going about. With him apparently out, I'd prefer McCann from of the other two, as from the look of it hes had a decent record over 350 games in management, and at a level we try to pluck players from. Holloway has great experience but is a total gobshite.

Id prefer someone who understood our game a bit more, as there is a difference, and we don't have the time for someone to find their feet. However, it's been about 40 years since we brought in a manager with top flight management experience in Scotland (not counting McGhee's second go), and only Craig Brown with any Scottish experience going back to McClean, so it's not something we tend to put much stock in as a club, and that pre-dates our current board.

I like kettlewell, and I wouldn't have a problem if he got it. But he will still be on our coaching staff either way.

Kettlewell for me wouldn't  be to bothered  if he does get it but like I said before 100 percent only if he is allowed to bring in own coaching staff.I don't want to see David Clarkson and such as assistant manager let them do what they are doing and bring in a proper assistant no excuses not too.

Grant McCann interests me but I don't think we will interest him enough to take the job and Holloway would be an utter disaster.

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Just a suggestion, with Jack Ross pulling out as he doesn't feel right time to return to dugout and was focussing more on Sporting Director role.

Could there be scope about asking him to take over Burrows role? We could slightly rejig it to focus more on footballing side.

Just thinking out loud 

Ross pulling out for me is telling

i suspect when budgets / state of the rebuild required and in particular the length of contract being offered is revealed to candidates that there is no doubt in my mind kettlewell will have the job until end of season

if he keeps us up he will get a years deal. Will face the same issues as hammell in having to rebuild the squad with minimal budget in the summer. Hopefully he avoids the luck we have had with injuries to get as far as Jan if not we have another recruitment process for a manager next jan

quite a picture I paint but unless the new manager is properly backed in the summer it will be a continued rinse and repeat for me to look forward to 

3 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Ross pulling out for me is telling

i suspect when budgets / state of the rebuild required and in particular the length of contract being offered is revealed to candidates that there is no doubt in my mind kettlewell will have the job until end of season

if he keeps us up he will get a years deal. Will face the same issues as hammell in having to rebuild the squad with minimal budget in the summer. Hopefully he avoids the luck we have had with injuries to get as far as Jan if not we have another recruitment process for a manager next jan

quite a picture I paint but unless the new manager is properly backed in the summer it will be a continued rinse and repeat for me to look forward to 

Ross would probably have been my pick , comes across as quite articulate and thoughtful about game but by god, Dundee utd took some utter gubbins in hhis tenure.

I thought he would be biting our hand off , so not overly fussed 

Don't know too much re McCann but record seems decent so interesting.

I can't believe people are touting Kettlewell because he won one of the worst games of football I have seen. With our incompetent board that's the road they are going down.  Prediction. Kettlewell announced as next manager. Cheap option again. Check my posts when Hammell was appointed. I said he was the wrong choice and Kettlewell will once again be the wrong choice.

26 minutes ago, ppower said:

I can't believe people are touting Kettlewell because he won one of the worst games of football I have seen. With our incompetent board that's the road they are going down.  Prediction. Kettlewell announced as next manager. Cheap option again. Check my posts when Hammell was appointed. I said he was the wrong choice and Kettlewell will once again be the wrong choice.

no pleasing some people.Would you rather he had lost one of the worst games you have seen?

If it's a poor choice of candidates , I'd rather he got a chance.

I will be surprised if either Holloway or McCann became our next manager. I remember Peter Reid of Everton fame had a very short interview with the club once he saw the available budget and was quite dismissive afterwards. I suspect Ross' polite turning down of the managerial offer (if true) was just a more diplomatic reply.

i hope we're not going to have a re-run of the lead-up to Hammell's appointment where lack of money or interest seem to have been the determining factors.

20 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

no pleasing some people.Would you rather he had lost one of the worst games you have seen?

If it's a poor choice of candidates , I'd rather he got a chance.

If Kettlewell is the best candidate I fear we’re in real trouble. Remember Hammell picked up the pieces left by Alexander and won 3 of his first 4 games while giving interviews where he said all the right things? All fell apart pretty quickly and I’d be concerned Kettlewell would go the same way.

1 hour ago, ppower said:

He wouldn't be my dream manager by any stretch. Doubt you'd find many, if any, on here who'd have him top of their list. But that list is the problem - how many realistic candidates are interested?

Salary wise, mibbe we can find the money to pay someone decent, but if those guys look at the squad we have and find out we have a recruitment budget that matches it in shitness, which decent manager will take the job?

If you were on the board, who would you go for right now?

Kettlewell wouldn't be my first pick. But if it comes down to him or Holloway (if McCann decides it's not for him), it has to be him. Holloway has disaster written all over it...

If we're down to that, I tend to agree with Dave. Have another look at the list of candidates. At least avoid the impression (right or wrong) that whoever has got the job has got it simply because every other person on the shortlist dropped out...

1 hour ago, GrahamH said:

If Kettlewell is the best candidate I fear we’re in real trouble. Remember Hammell picked up the pieces left by Alexander and won 3 of his first 4 games while giving interviews where he said all the right things? All fell apart pretty quickly and I’d be concerned Kettlewell would go the same way.

Agree 100%

can’t believe the clamour off the back of one game. Where I thought the football was utter dug shite. Only thing I saw that was missing from under hammells last few games was a bit of fight .

beat off hearts this weekend and I suspect the furore around kettlewell will soon dampen 

• Like 1

We have went from a great 3pts to "aye but we played rotten", the points was the priority.

I don't think kettlewell is the long term solution as I think a couple of bad results and folk will be lik ",aye..told ye so"

However what I will say is he spoke very well, he tweaked the formation to balance the opposition and he was animated on touchline and had more of an idea than Hammell who looked like a rabbit in headlights on the touchline.

At this moment in time I am not expecting flowing silky football. We need points and to move up the table so deal with that part first. If Kettlewell can get us on a run then we all be smiling. I would rather have him than Holloway which just looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Grant McCann would be my choice as a decent record down south and hopefully lots of contacts. I know I can hear folk comparing him to Alexander but we have no idea what style of football he would bring.

COYW

• Like 1

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread